The Diesel Stop banner

Trailer Stop and Turn Lights

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Horn 
#1 ·
I lost my stop and turn signal lights on my boat trailer on my last day of fishing last week. Yesterday I checked my wiring and then owners manual.
I was pleasantly surprised that Ford wires up the trailer plugs to a separate fused circuit (#6 20A)
The water must have shorted the circuit somewhere on the trailer as the fuse was blown.

I’m usually with the camp of “unplug” lights before putting trailer in the water, but I know a lot of guys don’t.

#2 ·
I found out that Ford's color codes for a 7 pin connector do not match the 'standard' colors while on vaca last month. At least the ground and trailer brakes match...but the lights were wak.

#3 · (Edited)
Fresh water (near Illinois) can't short a 12V circuit; its resistance is far too high. Even salt water has too much resistance to pass more current @12VDC than a typical trailer lighting fuse. Look for a pinched wire on the truck or trailer, or a smashed bulb.

Ford revised its colors to match SAE colors in the early 90s, but the colors molded into the connector and used by most trailer pigtail manufacturers are NOT SAE - they're the original standard from the ~70s (or earlier).

(phone app link)

#5 ·
Thanks Steve83, My son and I went fishing Monday—left lights plugged in, in and out of the lake. No issues this time-no blown fuse, go figure....

#4 ·
Yeah, wish I had known that when I stepped on the cable and broke stuff. Ford's connectors don't help either...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.