Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - White & Black Smoke - Hope I didn't trash engine
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
hdude
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Unhappy White & Black Smoke - Hope I didn't trash engine

Coming home from camping pulling a 4Klb trailer yesterday, all of a sudden started smoking black - mostly on acceleration or going over mountains. I was in the mountains, 100 miles from home or really anywhere. After initial checks, decided to keep on driving. Temps remained @ normal temps (max 210/221). No power problem, plenty of turbo, and my GPM was as usual for the trip. No loss/mixture of coolant or oil. Starts with no problem but tons of white smoke. No DTC codes. Looks like I burned and blew out what appears to the rolled up corrugated innards of the muffler. My 2006 F350 is still running pretty good.

Pretty sure I cracked or broke an injector tip. Hopefully I didn't ruin my engine. A trip to the local diesel shop is not in the budget. A couple years ago I did a BPD cooler relocate and even replaced one of the injectors. So have bit the bullet and purchased the AE Ford package to hopefully diagnose for the bad injector(s). My plan includes at least running compression tests before injector R&R.Any advice on what to look and test for before expending too much money and effort if the engine may be hosed.

hdude

2006 F350 Lariat CCab Dually FX4, 205K, Bilstein 5100s, EGR Delete, BPD Cooler Relocate, BPD WaterPump, Coolant Filter,

Upgraded BlueSpring and easy to fix common failure points.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome