Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - White smoke when idling, black smoke under load and no power
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
SlashB

My Photos: (0)
White smoke when idling, black smoke under load and no power

93 f-350 7.3 IDI 170,xxx miles
(I am no mechanic)
Back story: It had set 4 years out in a pasture and the guy sort of fixed it up and decided to sell it. So I bought it from him about 9 months. I put new glow plugs, filters, front end, axle seals, carrier bearing, brakes, master cylinder etc. after all that it ran awesome, till a few months ago
Now there’s a puff of white smoke when it starts, usually starts on second/third crank. At an idle there’s a constant, barely noticeable stream of white smoke, not blue and doesn’t smell like anything other than diesel. It also idles a little rougher than it did before. Changed the oil, air filter and fuel fliter in the past week.
It drives alright enough by itself but when I put a trailer on it, 5000 lb load, it’ll puff black smoke and is GUTLESS. No power. Pedal to the floor in 5th and can barely make it up hills on the highway without downshifting to 4th. Where before it would handle that with no problems. Injection pump? Injectors? Air intrusion? Any and all help would be really appreciated!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome