The Diesel Stop banner

Do I have a clutch problem or tranny issue?

8K views 54 replies 7 participants last post by  Topsarge 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have some ugly noise that intermittently comes from my truck. I have linked a youtube video:

It seems to happen as I am releasing the clutch. But, it stops when the clutch is engaged and I am fully moving forward. It also seems to stop when I then press the clutch down all the way.

The other issue is that something has been getting stuck in there. When I start the truck in neutral, it might not be willing to go in gear. So, I then have to shut the truck off, put it in gear and start it. The truck will then shutter just a touch, like it wants to move, and then it releases and I can drive just fine.

The clutch is a South Bend Con O and was put in 10+ years ago, but has only about 50k on it. I am only driving the truck about 2-3k miles per year for the last few years. Any ideas how to diagnose from the video? Thanks.

#2 ·
Throwout bearing would be my guess.
DENNY

Reactions: aclasshog
#3 ·
I'm not so sure it would be a throwout bearing. That would likely make noise any time the clutch pedal is depressed. But even if it is, the tranny will have to come out anyway. It could be the pilot bushing. I had a SB kevlar pilot bushing go out on me. It would so the signature "shaft rattling around in a bore" sound. I was worn enough that I could stick a 1/8" allen wrench alongside the input shaft in the bushing. With the clutch sticking engaged occasionally, I would also suspect the disc springs or the center of the disk coming apart. I've had the center hub of the disk let go on me as well. I was thinking "Oh crap, the input shaft broke", but fortunately, the tranny was fine.
Let us know what you find when you tear into it.

#4 ·
Should I order a new clutch kit from South Bend? I believe I would get a new bearing and bushing with the kit. I don't use the truck often and it does not always make the sound. Some days I can drive it and it is fine. Would you use this think at all or can this result in more damage?

#5 ·
I would get a replacement clutch kit on the way (they sell a replacement kit, since you already have the flywheel). Listening to your video another time, I really think you have a spring or something like that loose inside the bell housing/clutch. I don't think it will do a lot more damage, but the center section of the disk could give up completely like mine did (didn't have any noise prior) and leave you stranded on the side of the road. I would avoid driving much until you get it fixed.

#6 ·
We are going to yank the transmission in about a week. I have other stuff going on. So..... it is research time. I have watched a couple of vids so far. Any specific critical steps or torque setting for parts NOT related to clutch? I have to remove starter, front drive shaft, rear driveshaft, slave, ........ What else? Will the exhaust be in the way? Any critical torque values. Any critical alignment with driveshaft? In one vid, I saw they had to remove the front sway bar links. Any other "replace while you are there" pearls of wisdom. Thanks.

#7 ·
Exhaust should be out of the way as are sway bar links, although those are good head-knockers.
I don't have a listing of torque values handy, but could get those for you.
You need to index mark your t-case drive flanges and driveshaft yokes so you get them back in the same position.
And a set of extra long extensions are handy for getting at the top tranny to engine bolts.
One of the worst parts is getting the shifter boot off without tearing the heavy inner boot. After you unscrew the bezel from the floor, take a screwdriver and separate the inner boot from the bezel (it's held on by friction clips to the bezel) by gently prying it apart. Then you can get to the bolts for the shifter, remove that, then the inner boot. The shift tower has to come off as well.

Once you have the tranny out, check your up-pipes (exhaust manifold to turbo inlet) for leakage, and replace them (either new donuts if the pipes aren't hourglass shaped at the donuts, or new stock up-pipes or the improved bellowed up-pipes) if they're leaking. MUCH easier with the tranny out of the way. Plan on cutting the bolts at the exhaust manifolds, so have new bolts available. Soak the bolts there and at the turbo inlet with PB blaster the day before you start.

OH, and definitely use a tranny jack. You don't want to try bench pressing the ZF-6, even without the t-case attached.
I usually jack up the rear of the truck to give some more room to work, especially if you're planning on pulling the tranny all the way out from underneath.

#8 ·
OK, Thanks. I already have bellowed up pipes and installed them several years ago, but not many miles ago. I probably have 45k on them, but 10 years. If the donuts look clean and now real soot around them, should I just leave well enough alone? I forget if it was hell or not. Can I do just the exhaust manifold side or do you have to do turbo side at the same time? BTW, about how long does it typically take to get the tranny out? Thanks again. The plan is to remove and inspect next weekend.

#9 ·
Bellowed up-pipes don't have donuts, so you should be good. Gaskets on top and metal-to-metal flanged joints at the manifolds, IIRC. Time helps as far as how hard a job is. :winking:
You should be able to have the tranny pulled back out of the way in a couple of hours. I'd say figure 6 hours total for the whole clutch replacement if you're working by yourself.

#10 ·
ok, thanks. One more quick question for now, where are folks buying parts online these days? Southbend recommends that I have a new T/O on hand, as the clutch might be fine. They say my setup uses a stock bearing and I would want a Ford part. It has been a while, thankfully, since I had to buy a part. Thanks.

#11 ·
Yes, replace the throwout bearing as a matter of course, any time you work on the clutch. It's a job you don't want to do twice, because you didn't replace the throwout bearing.

#12 ·
Absolutely replacing the T/O bearing. But, where are you guys getting Ford part online? Is there a preferred online vendor?

#13 · (Edited)
OK, this job was ugly and thanks for all the help. It is out, but that is about it. I still have it under the truck and my brother and I are beat. So, tomorrow we will remove the pressure plate and clutch. The throw out bearing plastic portion was hanging disconnected. I will post a pic. There is minimal play in the input shaft. You really have to yank on it to feel movement. The input shaft tip was completely dry, no sign of any grease. There should be the Kevlar bushing from southbend in there, but won't know until tomorrow night. See pics of throw out bearing. Thanks.

Attachments

#15 ·
There is very minimal play in the input shaft. I did just remember that replacing that is very complicated. How much play is acceptable? I did see where there was discussion on the net about this, but it is in a bmw and someone said that with the tranny out, there will be some play because the shaft is only supported by one bearing on the back end, but when it is installed, it is also supported by the pilot bearing. This is stuff that is out of my league. But, I am hoping that the slight play that I have is within spec.

#16 ·
I haven't found a spec on input shaft play when the tranny is out. If you're describing it as minimal, I wouldn't worry about that. You could turn the input shaft and see if you can feel any roughness. If not, you're probably fine.

I just thought of another item you should replace. That's the plastic pivot the throwout bearing arm pivots on.

#17 ·
We removed the pressure plate and clutch yesterday. As we did that, a small spring fell out. The larger springs all have clear scrape marks on them. They appear to be hitting the inside area of the flywheel. The clutch surface area of the flywheel seems to be pristine. The other odd thing is that we removed the pilot bushing and it fits very sloppy on the input shaft. I am trying to upload the photos, like I did for the throw out bearing, but for some reason the site won't allow it. I can't even upload the photos that I uploaded to the site the other day. I will try again later. I already sent an email to SBC and will call them later today. Thanks for all the help. I will likely need more when I hear back from SBC and determine what is going back in. Thanks again.

#18 ·
Thanks for sharing Clydsdale, from a fellow 01 6-speed.

#19 ·
I can't seem to get the photos to upload to this site.

#20 · (Edited)
I finally figured out the I had too many pictures stored to my account here. So, I deleted some from several years ago to make room. Please take a peek at the photos below. I have no idea why this clutch failed. I drive this truck soooooo kindly. I found my receipt and the clutch is 12 years old and 65k miles on it. The pilot bushing is very sloppy on the input shaft of the tranny. So much so that my brother thought it was the wrong size pilot bushing. I will try to link that video to youtube next. Thanks.

Attachments

Reactions: aclasshog
#21 ·
Here is the vid

#22 ·
Yep, the old "springs puked out of the disk" problem.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a kevlar bushing get hogged out on me once. Replaced that one and haven't had issues since.
Thanks for letting us know what you found.

#23 ·
Clutch looks like it is nearly new. Other than the missing spring...

#24 ·
Yes, frustrating. I baby the thing. I NEVER expected the clutch to go bad this early. I think SBC did have an issue years ago. I can't remember which model, but I think it actually was the Con O. If that is the case, fine, as long as it is solved. I plan to put the replacement SBC clutch in and get the flywheel resurfaced. But, I would love to know what made this thing crap out, or is it just the nature of mechanical items where every once in a while stuff just fails.

#25 · (Edited)
I think that's the same style of disk that I blew out the center section on. The replacement (also from SBC) was much different, and had a combination of spring and rubber snubbers. So maybe they had a less than adequate design and changed it up.

On the pilot bushing: when I replaced the one that was hogged out, I put a piece of oil soaked felt in the cavity behind the bushing to give it a little lubrication. Seems that has worked.

#26 · (Edited)
It does indeed look like the pilot bushing was in hurting shape. Any idea why? I thought these things were supposed to be awesome or is the advantage that it did not trash the input shaft?

Also, anybody know the part number of the boot in the picture. Whenever I look up inner boot or lower boot on a Ford parts website, I seem to get the very small boot that is on the actual shifter top of the tranny. Any ideas. Or is this lower part actually part of the whole shifter boot, upper and lower? I think I have found everything else that I am going to replace.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.