Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Do I have a clutch problem or tranny issue?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 AM
klhansen
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I'm not so sure it would be a throwout bearing. That would likely make noise any time the clutch pedal is depressed. But even if it is, the tranny will have to come out anyway. It could be the pilot bushing. I had a SB kevlar pilot bushing go out on me. It would so the signature "shaft rattling around in a bore" sound. I was worn enough that I could stick a 1/8" allen wrench alongside the input shaft in the bushing. With the clutch sticking engaged occasionally, I would also suspect the disc springs or the center of the disk coming apart. I've had the center hub of the disk let go on me as well. I was thinking "Oh crap, the input shaft broke", but fortunately, the tranny was fine.
Let us know what you find when you tear into it.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome