The Diesel Stop banner

Regen frequency with highway use

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ACD2 
#1 · (Edited)
I am still in my research process, and was wondering for those like me who drive 60 miles each way on State highways @ 62 MPH, with about 7 miles of 35-45 MPH and a couple stop lights mixed in, how often does it regen? Also for those with a similar drive, what is the average MPG seen?

Already have the DIY oil change and fuel filters calculated out for a year, guestimating on fuel costs is tricky due to too many variables, the regen being one, but with my driving, I am getting 22 MPG in an 18 F150 Platinum with the 3.5 Ecoboost on my daily drive, I think 18-20 is possible with the diesel. The number of regens per week would cut into this number a bit, but by how much and how often is the question.

DEF use I think is around 1000-1500 miles per gallon? Is this accurate or way off?

#2 ·
On average it takes 20 miles....give or take a few miles....It will use about one gallon of fuel....it regens when the DPF gets "full" as considered by the PCM....my CTS2 show approx 3.45 grams per liter when my 2015 regens...Ford has set the max miles between regens to 500 miles since the last completed regen....depending on many variables, it will regen as quickly as 150 mile or some point between say 150 and 500 miles.

Download your diesel owner's manual and it will give you reference values for DEF usage depending on towing, empty, etc. Get owner manuals here...it is hard to say what the mileage will be as a guess.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/owner-manuals/

#4 ·
It is possible they didn't complete the procedure and reset the PCM after the DPF change.

After the new catalyst and particulate filter assembly is installed, using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the following:
  • DPF system parameter reset.

• Reset/clear the specified function for the function oxidation catalyst, and the SCR system SCR parameter reset.

• Clear the continuous PCM DTCs and reset the emissions monitors information in the PCM. Refer to Section 2 of the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

#5 ·
that old 2001 7.3 is looking better and better the more I read of all the crap they had to add because of the EPA. If only I had known back in 2012 what new trucks would be like I never would have gotten rid of it.

#6 ·
even with the "crap" on them, the 6.7 will run circles around the 7.3.

#7 ·
I'm sure it can, and it better considering its a newer generation engine, but it is also more delicate to bad fuel.

#9 ·
If you blink your eyes & don’t see the “Cleaning Exhaust Filter” notice on the driver information screen, just look at your fuel economy screen. If the present fuel mileage is lower than the recent average then you are going through a regeneration. No big deal.
If you want to get through the regeneration a little quicker just downshift by locking out 6th gear & keep your engine speed up around at least 2,000 RPM. I heard this tip somewhere on this site a few years ago & it seems to work for me. I’ve never seen a notice that a regeneration was complete, but just watching when the present fuel mileage goes back up near the present average will tell you that the regeneration is complete.

#10 ·
I have tried the locking out of 6th gear and it didn't help the regen distant nor time for my truck. I have 3.73 gears but with other gears like 3.55 or lower numerically, it might.......but honestly, do not think it will

#11 ·
There is a 2011 I have my eye on. It is a Lariat 350 with 195K on it, under $23K asking price. Only thing I can see that needs repair is the drivers seat cushion, the typical wear area. From all the pricing tools, it is $6K under list, which makes me wonder why, but, if it runs....

Are there additives that are a must today? Back when I had my 7.3 I used the anti gel cetane booster during the winter.

#12 ·
OK, so that 2012 I was mentioning that prompted this thread is now sitting in my Garage. Regarding the DEF use, if the particulate filter is removed, would that pretty much eliminate the regen cycle? How can I find out for sure it has been removed? This truck has a Sinister Diesel EGR delete installed, and what appears to be either a 4" or 5" straight exhaust from quite possibly the downpipe back. I don't see any bulges that would indicate filters or cat or anything and the exhaust is pretty stinky too ( BTW I LOVE IT).

#13 ·
It sounds like the DPF has been removed. The DPF/SCR looks like a torpedo and would be just behind the downpipe as part of the exhaust system. I have never heard of anyone deleting just the EGR without eliminating the DPF and DEF systems.

#14 ·
Oh it is definitely deleted. The pipe runs from the turbo back, no bulges in the pipe other than a slight widening about mid cab all the way back. Nothing is plumbed to it either, just plain ol pipe. Is there a way to dip the DEF tank to see what is in there? I do need to inspect the fittings as I get an exhaust smell occasionally in the cab and I don't know if it is blowback from the tail pipe, or if there is a leak at the turbo.

Oh, and it is rather loud. I didn't notice it when driving because the cab is super quiet, but with the windows down, it has quite the roar to it, and that sweet turbo sound. Oh how I missed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.