86 F350 6.9 Rebuild - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-1999, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
86 F350 6.9 Rebuild

Just rebuilt a 6.9 boring it out 30/1000. The reason for the rebuild was a blown head gasket then after removing the heads what appeared to be a cracked cylinder wall. After taking in to the machine shop everything looked good so rebuilt. Now I'm hearing about cavitation from the cooling systems. Could I still have a problem with this engine? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-1999, 12:39 AM

Re: 86 F350 6.9 Rebuild

You didn't say if it was assembled yet! If it is Your too late if not all parts should be inspected foe electrolisis marks. Any major diesel engine manufactur has a picture to show you or the servise manager should explain what to look for.There have been several comments on replacing the head bolts, I would definatly ask around. Also If I rebuilt my own personal engine I would also send the radiator out for cleaning just to eliminate future problems. Just a thought.

95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-1999, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: 86 F350 6.9 Rebuild

Yes the engine is back together and seems to be running fine. I installed a new radiator 1 year ago so it is in real good shape. A mechanic buddy of mine rebuilt the engine but he is not experianced with diesels. The machine shop was supposed to have magnafluxed it and checked for any cracks. Would that have shown problems with cavitation. Also is it customary to bore these out 30/1000. I have recently heard the cylinder walls aren't thick enough to last if they are bored. Thank you for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in