can we paste our pictures on here? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can we paste our pictures on here?

how to we go about doing it ?

2002 f350 crew cab short box 3inch tuff country level kit 315 toyo mudd terrains on 8 inch nitto rims afe stage11 intake with pre filter window tint leer canopy auto meter quages . 4 inch mbrp exhaust. superchips 1805 tuner. towinn our 2004 27 ts komfort tt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 PM

Re: can we paste our pictures on here?

To answer the question- NO.

Next, don't be alarmed when your post gets moved.
It should be HERE!

2000 F-350,XLT,L/B CREW,4x4,Auto EOD 3.73,ESOF,SCMT,Dual Alt.,
PTOed with the switch,Line-X,Weather Guard Box,Oxford/Silver.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tripple A-Pillar/ISSPro,TTM,2x4 low,Rancho 9000s/5404 SS, Jardine 4"
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1),
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

thank you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2002 f350 crew cab short box 3inch tuff country level kit 315 toyo mudd terrains on 8 inch nitto rims afe stage11 intake with pre filter window tint leer canopy auto meter quages . 4 inch mbrp exhaust. superchips 1805 tuner. towinn our 2004 27 ts komfort tt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

The image operator is disabled on TheDieselStop because it slows down the site too much. But you can have an avatar (that tiny photo under your username), and you can post lints to other photos, either in your posts or in your signature. The "how to" is in a sticky post at the top of that forum rlarkin linked to.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 AM

I'm confused... Though, Admittably, I don't know much about ubb, I run vbulletin Forums, but how does the [image][/image] operator slow down the forum server? The [image] operator just tells the users' browser to load the image from whatever external server the image is being hosted at. no?

If it's worth Shooting, It's worth shooting twice.
Ammo is Cheap... life is EXPENSIVE.

2003 6.0 Crewcab/Auto/Shortbed. AirRaid Intake. Autometer Nexus H2O, Tranny, EGT and Boost Gauges.

BB PIN
32ADB170
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
... but how does the [image][/image] operator slow down the forum server?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that's above my pay grade. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I was simply paraphrasing the WebMaster. Or perhaps I didn't word it right.

Perhaps someone else that knows will jump in with a good explanation.

I know when I go to a website with a dial-up modem and log onto forums that allow photos in sigs, some posts take "forever" to load because of all the idiots that include several high-pixel photos in their sig. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 PM

Well sir, the short version is:

The way it works is, the forums servers send your browser the website/forums/whatever data in plain text. The browser reads that text, and converts it to pretty colors, and text. If there is a redirector (say the image thing) in there, the browser goes to the address in the redirector, and fetches the data object (in our case an image) from the specified address. That will increase the forum load time on your end, but the actual forum servers won't really care. They are just relaying an extra few bits of text to your computer, and telling it where to get the image from.

As far as the signature sizes and the like, I'm with you. On the forums I run we don't allow signatures larger than 420Wx200H and more than 50K. For me it has nothing to do with the speed factor, but it is rather annoying when you get those 800x600 sig pics.

2003 6.0 Crewcab/Auto/Shortbed. AirRaid Intake. Autometer Nexus H2O, Tranny, EGT and Boost Gauges.

BB PIN
32ADB170
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM

You are correct. It does not slow the server that the forum is on.
The problem comes from the server that the image is on.
If a thread has images, or even one image, located on a slow server, it will affect the page localy.

Frankly I am glad images are not allowed.
I am on 3 different welding forums, 2 different VW forums, and a couple others.
It is real irritateing when a poster includes several images at the begining of the thread that load real slow, and you try to read the thread.
As each image starts to load, the page will jump while it sets its size in the local page.
Not to mention the amount of people that do not resize their images.
All it takes is one image that is set at a width of 2580, and BAM. The page is toast to read!

2000 F-350,XLT,L/B CREW,4x4,Auto EOD 3.73,ESOF,SCMT,Dual Alt.,
PTOed with the switch,Line-X,Weather Guard Box,Oxford/Silver.
Tripple A-Pillar/ISSPro,TTM,2x4 low,Rancho 9000s/5404 SS, Jardine 4"
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1),
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 PM

I am a member of about 5 different forums all of which IMG tags are opertational and I have zero problems loading pics.

Judging by the way this place runs I think it would be fine.

Steve
2006 F350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD CC LB 4X4. 100k miles.
Wix coolant filter, Dynomax Ultraflow exhaust, cat mod, Edge Insight CS/with EGT. Sinister EGR delete, EGR cooler delete, up pipe. Looney Tune via SCT X4. S&B Intake.
Mag-Hytec transmission pan, 08 diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.

2012 Heartland 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM

My Photos: (2)

I disagree, I've been to quite a few Larger forums with img tags enabled, and the page load is slower, not mind numbingly slow, but just enough to be annoying.

If there is somthing I want to look at I don't mind clicking an external link.

2011 F-350 ECSB 4x4 Lariat Sterling Gray Metallic. 51,000 mi
Mods: Silver Star Ultra bulbs, M&S Mini-Maxx, MBRP "Race" Exhaust

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:18 AM

My Photos: (28)

Loading speed is one issue but another very important issue is that with the volume of posts on this site and the ability to monitor every single post in near real-time over any given period is nearly impossible. It is, therefore, very likely that objectional images could appear from anywhere. This would not be in the site's best interest at all.

Images posted to the photo area are checked regularly and edited/deleted if needed. That keeps the site respectable.

Dick

TheDieselStop.Com Moderator & Former Photo Editor
Had a May '02 F350 7.3L SC Lariat 4x4 Auto. Sold In 5/2016 it had 321.1K+ miles

Had a June '97 F350 7.3L Reg Cab XLT 4x4 Auto SRW, OEM Radio w/CD. Sold In 5/2016 it had 208.1K+ miles
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 PM

With all due respect sir, this is not a kindergarten user based forum. We are all adults here. I am more than certain the fine users of these forums would not start posting "objectional" images. While it is true, that what you may find objectionable I may find hilarious or perfectly normal, I still don't think it would get to something like that.

As far as being able to monitor every single post in "near real-time" as you so eloquently put it, again, I refer you to the kindergarten sentence.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, or be "objectional" (god forbid I have my own thoughts - [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), but I really believe this forum could grow a lot more if some of these silly rules like image posting would be nixed.

As mentioned earlier, I am one of the founding admins of www.ntfu2.com. Now there is what some in the bible belt (no offense intended to my fellow bible belt PSD ownders), would call objectionable. We have literally hundreds of pictures uploaded on a daily basis. We have some pretty savvy mods who can sport the pictures as copyrighted, etc. My point is, allowing the [img] operator on the forums is not going to bring the forums under if you have people who are mature... (and it would seem that most everyone on these forums is) and you have some mods who actually do their jobs.

Either way... Ultimately they are not my forums, they belong to... well, whoever J. Lester is. I will respect the rules of the forums, just like I expect someone to respect the rules of my several forums.
But that doesn't mean I can't grumble about them.

BB PIN
32ADB170
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 PM

There is another point. When comaring other forums with pictures you hardly see any text as some posts are flooded with pics. The way it is works fine to me as I don't mind the extra click when interested.

Jim

2009 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR

2007 Suburban LT3
2007 Yukon XL Denali

2005 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM

My Photos: (52)

Funny... Every other Diesel site I visit allows Pics in the thread, Makes it easy to show a pic of a repair or something without loading onto a remote server or into the diesel sites page... I find I don't answer the question because of this... But it's just such a HASSLE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]... Ok... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in