Hmmmmm..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hmmmmm.....

I'm kinda bummed about how the participation on the site. Back in the old days when I had an OBS '96, if somebody asked a question or needed help, somebody would respond pretty quickly and you'd have several people chiming in within 24 hours.

I just replaced my wrecked truck with a '99 and if I ask a question about it, I'm lucky if I even get a response at all. I get a lot of views but it seems like the site is filled with mostly looky loos with the exception of a few guys who have hung on and actually participate.

Kinda sucks because I liked the give and take and help that everybody used to give each other.........

Mike

Member #4,587

1999 F350 XLT crewcab 3 inch body lift, 8 inch suspension lift. Edge Evolution programmer. AFE cold air intake. 37 inch tires. Pics are in link below.

1996 F350 XLT crewcab dually, (RIP) pulled a 50+3' step deck trailer and 30' cow trailer.
Pictures of it's death can be seen in link below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I PREFER DANGEROUS FREEDOM TO PEACEFUL SLAVERY-Thomas Jefferson

Remainder of signature deleted for political correctness violations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you also notice a lot of the old timers and knowledge base also is gone. A lot of them packed up and left when the new owners went to the advertising format. I do miss a lot of the type of information that you could pick up from them when I first joined. There are some new members that can and will help you but we need a lot more of them.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PUFFER View Post
TDS = Fail
Do you have a better suggestion? I have lurked around a lot and this seems to be the most helpful and knowledgeable forum for Ford diesels. I have no particular loyalty to TDS, I joined when I bought my truck and lurked until I had something to ask.

I have noticed that most of the new posts are things that have been addressed before. Water pumps and fan clutches, CPS, exhaust, excursion springs seem to be favorite topics that have had a lot of "air time" with only a few posts that seem to contain new information.

2002 Excursion Diesel-Stock owned 3 years 203k miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Planning upgrades with the following order: durability, milage, power: 203 thermostat, Cat ELC, AIS delete, DieselSite engine and intercooler boots,
2002 VW Golf TDI-Nearly stock +taller 5th gear, LSD, 50+MPG, owned since new, 205k miles
I am 6'5" so the Golf is know as the clown car

Last edited by ftboomer1; 02-15-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
A lot of them packed up and left when the new owners went to the advertising format.
I don't know about that, but then I just stick to the IDI, towing, diesel, and "other topics" sections. Years before that when the site was new there were many, many full time mechanics here, including a retired FoMoCo engine rep and the site was very helpful to many who weren't too mechanically inclined. As the mentality of many members changed, (through no fault of Jason or the new owners) not all, but most of the guys that actually turned wrenches for a living bailed and for good reason.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-18-2010 at 01:00 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, right now on the 99-07 general questions board, only 1 person adds anything to a topic for ever 20 people who view a thread. It's as if people just come in here now to spend time reading or get free help and nobody wants to contribute anything that might help somebody else.

Mike

Member #4,587

1999 F350 XLT crewcab 3 inch body lift, 8 inch suspension lift. Edge Evolution programmer. AFE cold air intake. 37 inch tires. Pics are in link below.

1996 F350 XLT crewcab dually, (RIP) pulled a 50+3' step deck trailer and 30' cow trailer.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM

My Photos: (27)
I dunn'o. Maybe that's better than feeling obligated to post whether you have the slightest clue what you're talking about or not. Case in point this gem from an auto trans expert:
Quote:
just a warning. i have seen many ford trans go out after doing a trans service. the old fluid has all the metal in it fromt he clutches. when u change it, the metal is gone, and the trans slips. if u drain the new fluid out, put old fluid back in, the trans worked fine.
Problem removing a starter from a 80's to '94 F250? Give this a try:
Quote:
Try useing a cutting torch, and cut out a section of frame next to the starter no more than 12" to 14" tho cuz you might weaken the frame....
man do I have to anser all the hard qustions????
And then of course if you have any concerns regarding your pickup's towing capacity this should clear it up:
Quote:
loader broke yesterday at work so hooked up a chain & pull 5 loaded railcars each weighing 231,000 lbs +/- about 300 feet total gross 1,155,000 lbs. suprisingly moved them fairly easy no clutch slip or tire spin just tighten up chain & lean into it.
Sorry, it's one of those cold snowy boring mornings!

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm with ya as far as understanding that some of the responses on here are a little whacky but it there used to be a lot of responses to posts and it was a matter of building up trust in the people on the board. We knew each other and wanted to help each other. Now I see nothing but nonsense on here. Right now on the 99-07 general board, my last question has been viewed 30 times with no answers. I don't post them for viewing pleasure, I post them for help and an answer. At the same time somebody has posted a question about whether they should get an aftermarket windshield washer fluid pump or go with OEM stuff. WHAT???

F-D.com and the early years of TDS.com helped me alot but now it seems like kind of a joke that is put out here for somebody to make money on. I think it'sd time to move on to greener pastures. There's no point in being here and contributing page clicks if I can't get answers to my questions.

Mike

Member #4,587

Last edited by RDG; 02-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
Ropin..I understand your point. But, title of a thread isnt the full story. You 1st gotta take a look & who ever is reading Q. may/maynot be able to answer. Hence, you can have alot of lookers VS answers. But yes, site alot diff. today for various reasons. Thats just way it is.

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
If you also notice a lot of the old timers and knowledge base also is gone. A lot of them packed up and left when the new owners went to the advertising format. I do miss a lot of the type of information that you could pick up from them when I first joined. There are some new members that can and will help you but we need a lot more of them.
I have to agree with you on that. It takes so long to load all the ad's, it's very frustrating waiting to type in a possible solution/response to someone's problem, after typing in for 20 minutes,(I'm a hunt & peck) then if you leave the thread to get a website or whatever and come back to find all your typing has disappeared. Also it seems that very few ever come back to verify or tell what the solution to there problem is/was. They want a solution but not share what there fix was.

I guess this is what I am trying to get across as ropinandridin said.

Quote:
Yeah, right now on the 99-07 general questions board, only 1 person adds anything to a topic for ever 20 people who view a thread. It's as if people just come in here now to spend time reading or get free help and nobody wants to contribute anything that might help somebody else.
Wouldn't it be wonderfull if some of the poster's used the spell check!!!!

99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion, 183K miles Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 2WD 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U, 79K on the engine. 129K body.

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast. One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 03-05-2010 at 02:18 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I might have to admit to being one that will look and decide if I want to respond or not depending of the question and the answers that have been given. Usually I will try and help a new comer just to try and keep him on the forums even if his question has been answered a couple of hundred times or not. What is really interesting is the members that answer a question and think that they know all about these engines just because they have one and their answer is usually wrong. The real interesting replies are the ones that tell the new-bee to go search and then leave it at that. If they would of taken the time to respond with the answer to the question it would of taken the same amount of time.

Everyone seams to forget that at one time they were new and didn't know jack about these trucks and asked the same dumb questions that are still being asked today.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:04 PM

My Photos: (1)
well as it is this site has helped me more than i can say in the last year. I wish i had the knowledge/experience to help others and someday i will. but till then, thanks to all the ones that DID stick around and help me often......

2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost Ultimate 107,000 miles
2008 F-450 6.4 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat 210,000 miles
2003 F-250 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat 330,000+ miles
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 175,000+ miles
2001 60th Anniversary Grand Cherokee 195,000(Rock crawler)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:59 AM

I spend alot of time reading and studying on this site. I hope that I may one day be able to contribute to a solution to a problem that someone might be having.

But until I put in my time as a newbie, I can only watch from the sidelines as those with the knowledge pass out the answers.

Also, I agree that it would be nice if the folks who receive possible solutions to their problems could let us know the results.

Splelshek shud bee manatorrie. Those that don't use spellcheck are the only ones who will be able to read that last sentence.

I will continue to post here. I may not be as helpful as others, but I'll be here.

PSD Pilot.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM

My Photos: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD Pilot View Post
Those that don't use spellcheck are the only ones who will be able to read that last sentence.
PSD Pilot.

Spell Checker is an add-on for IE but it is already built into FireFox since version 2.0. I use FF and it's a very handy tool to have.

TheDieselStop.Com Moderator & Former Photo Editor
Had a May '02 F350 7.3L SC Lariat 4x4 Auto. Sold In 5/2016 it had 321.1K+ miles

Had a June '97 F350 7.3L Reg Cab XLT 4x4 Auto SRW, OEM Radio w/CD. Sold In 5/2016 it had 208.1K+ miles
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM

don't give up on all us newbs...

I just want to thank all of you... some of you have answered my questions... while I'm a fare mechanic, I'm new to diesel. I read a lot, to learn, so I can do the things to my truck... I also like to help others out, but at the same time I know I don't have much money to deal with when my truck goes down. and don't want to give bad advise that could cause them to waste their money. out of all the forums I have looked at this one seems to be the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in