The Diesel Stop banner

New Forum Software Version

3K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  highest_vision 
#1 ·
The new features include (all feature are ON for TheDieselStop.Com unless otherwise noted):
<ul type="square">[*]Added in an option for users to change their display names if the admin allows it. This can be set to immediate change, or a queue where all changes must be approved by an administrator.
[*]Added in an option to mark all posts as read.
[*]Added in a config option that requires users to verify their email before their account is activated. If used with user registration approval, admins will get notification of the new user after their email is verified. Accounts that do not have their email verified within 24 hours will be deleted.
[*]Added a config option to turn user ratings on and off. OFF for TheDieselStop.Com
[*]Changed the front page to show the subject of the last post along with who posted it for each forum.
[*]Changed the way new posts are flagged on the postlist screen. Instead of using 2 different colored icons, it now uses a different colored table cell for the new post along with bolding of the line. This makes it so admins can upload new post icons of any color.
[*]Reworked favorite forums. These will no longer display in the "My home" area. Instead there will be a toggle on the main forum listing page that will allow users to display all forums or only their favorite forums.
[*]Added a reply with quote option.
[*]Added a new option when moving a thread to leave a pointer at the old location of the thread.
[*]Added an option to add a thread to your favorites when posting or replying.
[*]Made the Favorite thread and Reminders links into toggles. This means clicking once will add the thread/post to your favorites/reminders. Clicking again will remove it.
[/list]

The biggest and most exciting changes are the Display Name option and the Favorites rework.

A common request from users is to change their displayed name, you can now do that yourself.

Previously, you had to reply to a thread to receive e-mails on when the thread has new posts. Only replies directly under yours caused you to get a notification. The new version combines favorites and subscriptions. When you add a thread to your favorites list, you will receive e-mail updates when it receives new posts .. pretty cool feature. The favorite forums feature now allows you to chose whether you want to see all forums or only favorites on the main forum listing .. again a cool feature and will make the site faster if you turn off forums you don't frequently (or ever) visit.

Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
Jason,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif Being an admitted Computer Goober, I like this newest update and it seems to have solved my problem and some others I believe of having random forums loosing the last read marker in at least one and maybe two forums. That hiccup in the older version drove me crazy and was random as to which forum it happened in.

As always forward and upward CONGRATS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Larry

#4 ·
I was surprised to see the new coat of paint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Jason! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BILL

#5 ·
Jason -

Looks good, but any reason why it is now crawlingingly sloooowww??

#6 ·
A very nice surprise upon entering the site this evening. Thanks!

One quick concern. Looking at posts, now we see replies referencing post numbers (when mouse is held over post title area). Quite difficult to quickly determine who the reply was referencing. Normal? OK, I can deal with it. But I did like the specific reference of reply.

Please don't take this as a complaint. I LOVE this site (addicted...).

Just an observation.

Thanks for listening.

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
.......Quite difficult to quickly determine who the reply was referencing. ........ But I did like the specific reference of reply.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#8 ·
Jason:

Just curious. Do I have local control over the colors in the new post title bars. Mine are showing up as dark blue on a black background and are difficult to read.

A big thumbs up on the upgrade and added features.

Thanks again for all your work.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#9 ·
What browser are you using? It's probably caching a copy of the old stylesheet which doesn't have the correct things in it for this new update. Exiting the browser might fix it, but you could possible have to clear the browser memory and disk cache.

Jason

#11 ·
Hi Jason.

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0. I just deleted all my cache files and cookies. I just got done rebooting. The new posts are still coming with dark blue text on a black background.

What colors are new posts suppose to be??

TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#13 ·
One other neat feature I just noticed .. you can collapse categories of forums you don't frequently read. Click on the "-" in the Archives category to collapse all the archive forums. It will be easier on the server and save time for you as well. It ever remembers it each time you visit. Between that feature and only viewing favorite forums, you can make the forums as cluttered or as simple as you'd like.

Jason

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
It's supposed to be white background. I don't know what it is unless you're behind a proxy server??

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Jason. I think it just started working. The black background are gone and now I get alternating light gray and white or all white title bars with red number in Paren's.

I guess I just didn't wait long enough for the cookie and cache delete to work.

Thanks again..........Now for some browsing around.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#19 ·
Just looked over and hey! there's my member number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I knew it was like around 4k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Thanks Jason! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#21 ·
I actaully dropped a few member numbers. My old one (when they used to show before) was 5267. Now I'm 5230. I also had gotten used to the reference to the actual post someone had replied to (didn't care for that at first, but I kind of miss it now). A few more hours and I'll be right back up to speed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif
Cheers!

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
What browser are you using? It's probably caching a copy of the old stylesheet which doesn't have the correct things in it for this new update. Exiting the browser might fix it, but you could possible have to clear the browser memory and disk cache.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I have cleared my browser memory and cache four times and the main forums list is still BLACK on the right side!

I am still partial to the old Netscape 4.7. Can't seem to get myself to use the new ones.
What do I try next?

#24 ·
Yeap, I was pretty close too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Well, I like the update so far! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#25 ·
[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">[*]Added a config option to turn user ratings on and off. OFF for TheDieselStop.Com[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh come on Jason; we all promise to give you five stars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

If there was an option to view the forums "old school" that would be nice. Otherwise, I like the new version of the software. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers from Tulsa, OK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave

#26 ·
This thing is running very fast now and the new text is very easy on the eyes. Thats my first impression. Nice so far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.