Screen width differences????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Screen width differences?????

Can someone enlighten me as to why the width of postings in the forums varies so much? Sometimes I can see the entire post and other times I need to scroll left and right to read the darn thing. Is it due to a setting on my computer or is from the original posters settings?

99 4x4 PSD,SC,XLT,LWB 3:73,6 SPD,Air Lifts, 8ft Lance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 02:27 PM

Re: Screen width differences?????

On occasion a member will include a link within a post or the signature lines that is very long, say the actual URL written out. If the typed width of the URL is beyond your normal viewing width, the screen must be scrolled or widened to cover the URL's unbroken width.

The key to keeping viewed pages within the confines of the expected window sizes is for members to use named links instead of the actual URL address in the post or signature lines. Several posts have been made on "how to do it", and a testing forum exists so members can try to learn how. But not all members have learned how to do this yet.

Lake Norman at Denver NC 1999 250 PSD (built Sept 98) Lariat XLE7 CC Auto LWB 4WD ESOF ABS 3.73LS X-Caliber cap BFG 285E AT/KOs Jayco-TT 31BHS
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 03:09 PM

Having to side scroll is annoying, but now I'm seeing whole threads
that I can't get all of even by side scrolling. Can anyone tell this computer
dufus what the solution is? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

'05 F-350 PSD 4x4 CC SB SRW Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 05:11 PM

Point out those threads and we Moderators can likely fix them. The source is generally as posted above, ie. someone posted a long URL that won't "wrap," so the screen width stretches to accomodate it. It will affect an entire thread if viewed in "Flat" mode.

Like I said, point it out and we'll take care of it!

Best Regards,
Jay
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 05:24 PM

Jay, I had that very problem several months ago and no one could/would fix it then. I didn't know where the problem was. Thought maybe it was on MY end and was trying to find out and was ignored.
Someone posted that someone had a signature too long. At the time I didn't know what he was saying. I guess none of the administrators did either. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Bottom line was I left the site for a while because it was just too hard to use. I couldn't print anything out because the right side of the page was missing. I got advice on how to print the whole thing but nothing seemed to work.
I'm glad the problem is finally reconized. Larry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, what is "flat mode"??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, what is "flat mode"??

[/ QUOTE ]

Scroll to the very top or bottom of this thread and notice buttons to do some things. One button is "flat mode" and another button is "Threaded".

Your homework assignment for today is to find a thread with more than about 20 replies, then read it in flat mode, then read it in threaded mode. Then report back here and tell us the difference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

A simple thread such as this one we're in won't give you the full impact of threaded mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 08:17 AM

WOW Smokey, I see the difference OK. I don't understand yet the "why" the threaded version is like it is. I'm not sure even how it works.

This is the version of the posts I'd get when we could get automatic e-mails when someone would post after us. I didn't understand them then either. I used to just find the latest post by the date/time stamp.

How come we can't check a box when we made a post and get an e-mail when someone answers or adds another post? We used to. I thought that was handy. It went away with the new system, I guess. Oh well....Larry

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 04:51 PM

Well, this post is one that I have problems with. The right side of the post is cut off in the middle of the "Quote" button on the top of the screen.

I can make the type smaller ( and fit into the width of my screen) by decreasing the size of the font in my viewer, but then I can hardly read what is in the left part of the screen.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Could it be related to the size of the poster's text box when they are making the first post???

P. S. I didn't have this problem before the latest upgrade of forum software.

JR

1999.5 F-350 SRW, SuperCab, ShortBed, 7.3 PSD, 6-SPD, Manual Transfer Case and Hubs, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, 285-75 R16 Bridgestone Dueller M/T,
Lariat, Black Ext, Tan Int, Captain's Chairs, SPA Technique Pyro & Boost, Tekonsha Voyager XP,

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:08 PM

JR. Interesting. I know what your talking about but on MY screen its OK. I wonder if when I was having the problems I spoke of above if things were OK on their screen at the time and maybe thats why they thought I was nuts!! Hmmmmm? Or maybe things WERE screwed up when you made your post and were corrected before I read it and posted this.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]my head hurrrrts. Larry

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:16 PM

My Photos: (11)

I have the same problem as mentioned above. The posts are cute off in the middle of the "quote" button. I only have this problem on my computer at home. My computer at work displays everything fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I've tried deleting my cache and all temp int file, but nothing worked. Is there a way to fix this display problem?

His: '95 F350 CrewCab, 3.55 SRW, 5spd std w/ Royal Purple, LUK SMFW, VDO Pillar gauges, Homemade open air intake, 3" Downpipe W/ 4" cat-back exhaust from Tymar, Tunes by DP Tuner, Baby Seat Mod on rear bench, 198K miles. It gets 21-23 mpg consistently (on the highway) and 17 mpg in town. My remaining planned mod list includes Amsoil & electric radiator fans.

Hers: 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic; 2.2Ecotec 4 cylinder. VERY dissapointed in mpg's.

Company Car (Daily Drive): 2007 Chevy Impala, Jet Black
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 PM

Chris (cmichalik), since mine is still OK, sounds like its probably a setting on your computer? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I don't think the cache or temp files have anything to do with it though. Sorry, not much help here. Is Smokey or Rex listening in?? Larry (aka:fatboy)

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Hey, if Smokey or Rex do show up how 'bout answering another question maybe??

If we "right click" and "open in new window"... the window opens very narrow, maybe 1/2 screen. I can maximize it OK but it used to open already maximized or atleast full screen. How can we make it do this again? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Also, sometimes threads open part way down the page...How come? and what can I do to to make it open at the top? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Thanks again. Larry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Enquiring minds want to know!!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:55 PM

My Photos: (9)

Can anyone answer the post width problem? This is very annoying. I do not think it is related to links. If there is a link that is too long I can still scroll right and left, is no link I don't have a scroll option because it is not generally needed.
I now have a problem as stated by others in which the very right edge is cut off, at about the quote link. It goes behind the normal scroll bar for up and down and judging by what is said on the next line I think it goes clean off the screen. This does not always happen and I have not yet figured out why it happens when it does. I am still working on that. Please give us some insight on this.
James

<font color="green">
4x4 Extended Cab XLT Lariat, 3.54 LS, Pioneer radio, C6, Straightpiped</font> (Listen:
-
)<font color="green">
200k+ miles
</font> Down since 1/03
<font color="red">Work in progress
</font>
<font color="cc3300">
Deluxe 'The BOMB' 318 V8.

350 diesel, loaded.</font>
1995 Toyota Camry
'The Battle Wagon' Unfortunate DD. 242k
Member of FOKISD
<font color="orange">"Fighting for religion, something I don't understand."</font> - Dave Mustaine
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 07:00 PM

My Photos: (9)

Just so you know Jay this is "one of those posts." It is too wide [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
James

<font color="green">
4x4 Extended Cab XLT Lariat, 3.54 LS, Pioneer radio, C6, Straightpiped</font> (Listen:
-
)<font color="green">
200k+ miles
</font> Down since 1/03
<font color="red">Work in progress
</font>
<font color="cc3300">
Deluxe 'The BOMB' 318 V8.

350 diesel, loaded.</font>
1995 Toyota Camry
'The Battle Wagon' Unfortunate DD. 242k
Member of FOKISD
<font color="orange">"Fighting for religion, something I don't understand."</font> - Dave Mustaine
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 07:29 PM

Sorry, but I can't duplicate the problem. If you're using a really old browser like Netscape 4.x, that might be it.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in