We are Moving! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We are Moving!

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Thedieselstop.com will be migrated to our new platform on Wednesday, December 11th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:51 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How about setting up a test site where we can see what is going to happen before it is thrust upon us and we then have to deal with it.

From what I have seen with any forum update going to a newer "user friendly" site is that you loose a lot of members because of the problems that it creates.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 04:01 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
How about setting up a test site where we can see what is going to happen before it is thrust upon us and we then have to deal with it.

From what I have seen with any forum update going to a newer "user friendly" site is that you loose a lot of members because of the problems that it creates.

An excellent suggestion.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

We've already deployed the site upgrade to a good handful of sites, and the only real problem we've been having is the learning curve of learning a new forum system. And we'll have someone on hand to share a bunch of guides and answer any questions you might have.

Here is an example site that got the change a little while ago

https://www.planet-9.com/

Kevin

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:49 PM

If that is a example of the new to come site I predict a huge fail.

You are going to loose members and those of us that come here more often will go to other sites.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:05 PM

My Photos: (0)
Hate to say it, but he's right. That site doesn't look very user friendly compared to other sites I'm a member of. The F150forum is well laid out and easy to navigate. It may be easy to navigate the new site, but the look will throw users off who are used to this site and others like it.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:27 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post

I just took a look at that site, and am not a fan of the opening page. It took a few minutes to get to the main forum listing. That site has a ton of subforums, which we do not here, so it may not be as much of a challenge. I would suggest the opening page be a listing of the forums as it is currently here. The stuff like FAQs and the older content should be preserved on a dropdown from the main forum menu.
The look of the forum pages themselves isn't that bad, though, IMO. I'm on another forum that's populated mainly by old guys like myself, and they just changed the default "skin" and got a lot of comments about it, both good and bad. We'll all get used to it eventually.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 04:43 PM

I find that a lot of the web designers are in the 20-30 year old group and like that warm touchy type of design.

They don't take into account the actual people that will be using the site.

But hey, it is their site and they can do with it what they want to do since they are paying the bills, but you would think that they would take the members ideas into consideration.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:19 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
We've already deployed the site upgrade to a good handful of sites, and the only real problem we've been having is the learning curve of learning a new forum system. And we'll have someone on hand to share a bunch of guides and answer any questions you might have.

Kevin

Just out of curiosity, do you manage your servers yourselves or are you using managed hosting? I had major issues similar to TDS - probably worse - that I learned were caused by my hosing company that refused to update the server software in a timely manner or allow minor tweaks to the configuration. My solution was like two fold like yours, I moved from UBB to IPS software (self hosted) and moved to another host altogether. I am extremely happy with both changes and my community is as well. I wish the same success for you!

I also discovered that people resist change sometimes. You will encounter members that get tuned off or have trouble coping with the changes in functionality but you also lose members when the site fails to perform. Web forums have to evolve to become cross platform compatible to work on Desktops, tablets and yes, even smart phones. Embrace the changes and you will eventually find new ways of accessing and enjoying TDS forums.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in