40' vs 33' fifthwheel around town ??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
40' vs 33' fifthwheel around town ???

I was all set for a 33' 2 bed/ 2 bath fifthwheel - until I walked through a nice 40' that's gray and will match my truck. I know I have to be selective about rv parks, but will I see much of a difference between the to lengths trying to maneuver it off the freeways??? I can fit it along side my house but what about getting it there? Or will they turn about the same? I've towed alot of 33'ish goosenecks horse trailers with wheels set back but never a 40' rv.

Thanks for any input

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2017 F450 Lariat Ultimate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM

I went from a 23 ft fifth wheel to a 40 ft fifth wheel toyhauler. You have to make your turns a little wider around town; but it is not a problem. Maneuvering when backing took some getting used to. As long as you have plenty of room to turn your truck to get the trailer along side your house you should not have a problem. I traded my F350 for an F450 and the turning radius is do much shorter that it makes my toyhauler easy to maneuver. After a short time you will be as comfortable with the 40ft as you are with the 33ft.

11 F-450 Lariat, Platinum White, 6.7, 4X4, crew cab, tow package. Weekend Warrior toyhauler, fifth wheel, 40'. Flatbed, gooseneck, 30'.

2000 F-350 dually, PSD 7.3 L, 4X4 - Sold
1992 F-350 dually, non-turbo, 4X4 - Sold

Retired US Army
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM

How long do you stay in the trailer and how many people with you? Do you need the extra room? Where do you camp....ever off road? With fuel prices and the extra wear and tear on the tow truck, I will always choose the smallest trailer that fits my needs.

You will get used to driving whatever you buy but smaller is easier in all cases. With that said, mine is a 33 foot fiver.....and I wish it were about 27 some days.

Just a guy with a truck and a wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtytires View Post

You will get used to driving whatever you buy but smaller is easier in all cases. With that said, mine is a 33 foot fiver.....and I wish it were about 27 some days.
I down sized from a 33' to 27.5'
In actuality my 33'er was like 35' end to end. My 27.5 is 30' 1".

Smaller is easier, and depending on your tow vehicle, it can get tricky. CC LB takes a little planning and cooperation from others making turns in the city. We do a lot of camping in Columbia, near Sonora. When I make the left turn into the narrow Main Street, I have to just about run the curb to clear the cars waiting at the light. MUCH less stressful with 5 feet less.

Back in '97 my mantra was bigger is better. Now my mantra is comfortable is enough. I know plenty of people that think they have to have the biggest, longest, most slides to feel like a man, once they grow up they start thinking more practical.

If you need the space for family, friends etc. then by all means go big, if not your going to take away the opportunity to see some of Americas finest landscapes. Best of luck deciding.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I think for the moment I've decided to hold off till I know exactly what I want. Most my traveling is with my friends and their family so was thinking of something that would house us all. My thought was the bigger and more comfortable the more likely we are to use it. But after talking about it last night I think in reality I shouldn't base it on other people and I won't use it much on my own (especially that large of one), for the moment think I will hold tight and stick to renting houses here and there until I decide what I wan to use on my own. I haven't broken the news to my truck yet though!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good decision. For the two years we looked for our present fiver, we had lots of family telling us what we (they) should get. Bigger trailers use more fuel too. I went from 10.3 on the flats to 12, may not seem like much but considering our cross country trek was 8511 miles I'm sure the fuel bill would have been a lot less.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM

My Photos: (1)
Go with whatever makes you happy! My first TT was a bunkhouse because I wanted to have room for all my buddies. We never took advantage of it and therefore I sold it.

I wanted a fifth wheel because the TT was a pain to tow. I bought one that I THOUGHT was going to be perfect. It was...for about a year. Now I've started a family and wish I had the bunkhouse again.

Now I'm shopping for a fifth wheel that has a separate bunk room for the babies. Once we narrow those down, we will look at floorplans, length and weight. I can tell you that I want one that's over 30' because I have had to pack 8 people in my current one on a rainy day and it was no fun.

Find the right one for YOU! If a matching truck and trailer combo makes you happy, go for it!

2016 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC LB, DRW, 6.7 CTD, 4wd, Aisin trans

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Always like to match :-) if you want around the 33' range check out the Laredo 293sbh. It's one set of bunks in the back ands 1/2 bath all in only 33'. I personally like the 2nd bath option. Of course if you go up and to 40' then there's all kind of options.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscraft View Post
Always like to match :-) if you want around the 33' range check out the Laredo 293sbh. It's one set of bunks in the back ands 1/2 bath all in only 33'. I personally like the 2nd bath option. Of course if you go up and to 40' then there's all kind of options.

That one looks awesome! Pretty much exactly what we are looking for.

2016 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC LB, DRW, 6.7 CTD, 4wd, Aisin trans

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in