Anybody ever had a finger broken at the knuckle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody ever had a finger broken at the knuckle

Sitting here minding my own business, getting ready to go out of town and the call comes from the Church, my youngest son has hurt his finger. I run down and get him and the pinkie is sideways. Wife takes him to the ER, ER doc says he needs an orthopedic surgeon to set it, but does not think it will need surgery. They popped him with some Demerol and he is on the way back. He will miss the state finals in Archery which is set tomorrow. All that said, I hope he will not need surgery and was wanting to hear about knuckle breaks............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 AM

My Photos: (7)
not at the knuckle but I just got out of this torture device..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the device.jpg
Views:	22534
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1200  

2006 F-250 XLT FX4 CC 6.DOH
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (19)
He is out like a light........sleeping good, hope he does not need surgery........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 AM

My Photos: (1)
That's a tough break for your son, Kingtut. Positively no pun intended! Surely he is disappointed in missing the Archery finals.

Several years ago, I had what's called a boxers break. Not real sure what surgery could do for a knuckle though. Doc told me, they'd have to do an outpatient thing and set/splint it. At the appointment, was given option for getting knocked out, opted not to... thought it couldn't be as bad as the action that caused the break. WRONG! Though it didn't last to long, seemed like the doc was pushing me to get another busted knuckle on my good hand! No ill effects with the knuckle to this day, it's just flat and looks kinda odd.

What was the worst of the deal, working in maintenance at a chicken plant and had to pull light duty for three weeks afterwards... Finks stuck me in the parts department. Longest three weeks of my life! Two weeks out of that, broke my nose when a two foot spanner wrench slipped. That'll get your attention. lol If you were eating KFC some 9 10 years ago, sure hope you enjoyed it.

Anyhow, hope your son is feeling better... or soon will. As for surgery, it won't be necessary IMO but you, the misses and your son may feel differently after talking with the surgeon.

Here's to a speedy recovery for the young master... !

-Steve

'95 F-250 SC/LWB, 7.3L, E4OD, 4:11LS, 2WD

IDM Mod, HPX, DIY Intake

Rebuilt Fuel Canister 7/29/12 - 152k (Heater Removed, 4-40 screw, new IPR pigtail, WIF temp. disconnected)
Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 AM

My Photos: (0)
I sort of broke one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
He is out like a light........sleeping good, hope he does not need surgery........
I was drilling a part and like a fool I was holding the part in one hand and the drill in the other. I actually drilled a very small hole completely through the knuckle, it hurt but healed OK. However and it was a big however for me, I can no longer play the guitar with that finger well at all, I lost mobility and/dexterity with that finger. I'm not Carlos Santana or anything but I wish I had gone to a ortho and had it cleaned up before it calcified.

It was a very small drill, less than 1/8th.

Hey you've got good insurance, have it looked at!

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM

My Photos: (5)
I broke the knuckle of my middle finger where it meets my hand playing football 20-odd years ago. Did have surgery, which for me was better long term. The docs pinned the broken pieces together and left the pin sticking out the side of my finger. After it healed to a point, they just grabbed the pin with pliers and pulled it out. Six weeks or so of stretching it back out and to this day I can communicate with that finger just fine!

2014 F250 Platinum CC Short Bed 4x4, 6.2 (I Got Gas Now!)
2003 F250 XLT CC Long Bed 4x4, 6.0 w/Auto (SOLD)
Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
Ouch!!! Makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. I also hope that he doesn't have to have surgery, but if he does, it might be for the best. I've only had broken bones twice. Once about 20 years ago when the kids were small, I slipped on some ice and used my hands for "landing gear" and cracked my left wrist (and I'm left-handed). Then in 1995 a car accident caused a couple of ribs on the right side to be broken, but no pain from either break now.

Wayne
2008 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew
2013 Honda Accord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in