Attention all RV'ers - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Attention all RV'ers

I would like opinons on the very best places you have ever been. I am about to put the coach on the road this summer. I would like input on places that may not make the ad's, you know those really unique places that are so enjoyable. Can't wait to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
go to the precious moments factory. We have been there twice. It is in Missouri (sp) in carthage. You will stay at "cubby's" RV park. When we were there, there was a free shuttle to the complex. It will take all day to see everything and I HIGHLY recommend it. Don't miss the "Fountian of Angel"s" water show... Too awesome to put in words. We must have taken 100+ photos and I want to go back again.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 AM

My Photos: (2)
Some of these are worth checking out if you have the proper ID:

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home

The state parks in Oregon are pretty nice.

What are you looking for Higgs? All the hookups, or some nice out of the way / dry camp type? How far are you planning on going in a day? I'd like to take some of the older interstate highways instead of the freeways and see a bit more of the country.

OMC

Feb 03 6.0 Silver F-250 SD SC XLT long box, 6-spd 3.73ls, Fx4, Stock, Spray-in liner, Contico box.HARPOONED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR View Post
Some of these are worth checking out if you have the proper ID:

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home

The state parks in Oregon are pretty nice.

What are you looking for Higgs? All the hookups, or some nice out of the way / dry camp type? How far are you planning on going in a day? I'd like to take some of the older interstate highways instead of the freeways and see a bit more of the country.

OMC
I am up for anything, the first real long trip I have planned is to Annapolis in August. That is to visit my son after plebe summer. We are looking at the KOA at the end of the river since it is within his 22 mile leave radius. If there is something closer I would like to know. We don't really like to dry camp over a day or so, I have kids and they like to do things, althought I am not adverse to the idea. If we can see something most folks don't get to see, that is what I am all about.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 AM

My Photos: (0)
I second the Oregon area. The women are pretty ugly but its a nice area.
If you don't get it already, subcrive to Trailer Life or Motorhome nagazine. They always have good places to travel too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Banned

I can't think of a better thing to buy. I feel good for you Tom. That thing is gonna take you to places where you are going to find some good times, new friends and lots of new memories all across the country.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Not all that far from you

Is mammoth caves and there are some good camp grounds there and the area is very nice.

If you don't mind being a Yankee for a few weeks, Vermont is very nice in the fall AFTER the tourist season. Same for Bar-harbour ME AFTER the tourist season. And it you are really in for adventure and some real different traveling check out Nova Scotia and to to the Cape Brittan Highlands. CAUTION the water is 50 degrees in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yosemite is a great place but don't go there......tourist city!!!!!!

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 AM

I manage this one, Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands: so I'm pretty biased. We just installed wifi

Other parks I've enjoyed staying at:

Anastasia State Park just south of St. Augustine
Huntington Beach State Park (South Carolina)
Angostura State Recreation Area (South Dakota)
Custer State Park (South Dakota)
Wasatch Mountain State Park (Utah)
Valley of Fire State Park (Nevada)
Kodachrome Basin State Park (Utah)
Yellowstone National Park (off season)

'93 F-250, - most original at 252K miles, rebuilt E4OD 220K miles
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Haven't had a chance to do much east of the Rockies. Grew up in LA & we camped in the Serria foothills most of the time then. Yeosemite is really pretty, but it is touristy, and not open much in the winter.

Went to college in SW Illinois, but didn't do much camping. I'd like to get the trailer out & do Brice / Zion, Yellowstone, and then head east for some of the fall colors. Like to get up into Canada too for a bit.

Winter is the time to do the Southwest. There are some pretty places in New Mexico, Arizona (Painted Desert & the Petrified Forest), Grand Canyon is pretty sweet, but you want to do the south rim in winter, North rim is higher & gets snow. So. Cal. / Death Vally is doable in Jan. The Devil's postpile is quite an interesting place. Then there are all the golf courses around Palm Springs.

The Pacific Northwest is absolutely gorgeous. Gig Harbor & the San Jauns, Astoria in Oregon, and there are places you can visit to see where Lewis & Clarke wintered over, where the Oregon Trail ended in Portland. Eastern Washington & Oregon are high desert - Lonesome & cold, but have some interesting lava & scenery.

We really have a great deal to see in the Continental US. I'd like to get to some of the Civil War battle fields & see Williamsburg.

OMC

Feb 03 6.0 Silver F-250 SD SC XLT long box, 6-spd 3.73ls, Fx4, Stock, Spray-in liner, Contico box.HARPOONED.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
dmd

My Photos: (1)
Death Valley in the spring. If it had had good rain there are lots of flowers. If you like the desert, then you will love it. Let the tires down and put the
truck in 4x4 and you can travel to all sorts of areas. If you want some
wild life for a night, then Vegas is about 3hrs away.

Camping is rustic ( no power or water in most). They do have central
water and dumps at almost all areas. We had a generator (twin Honda
2000's) that we used when the AC was needed.

Also around Crater Lake in Oregon, south of Bend. There is Diamond Lake
just to the north with great camping (with a generator).

There is also a hot springs to the east of Eugene that is amazing, will have
to think of the name. Great camping and they have a garden that is about
20 acres. . We spent the whole day in the
garden with a picnic and the kids loved all of the hidden pools and fountains.
Ahhh... Belknap Springs!!! Had a hot sping swimming pool, lost of hookup
camping... There are also lots of covered bridges in the area if you like
that...

Also Columbia California, in the Gold Country wine area. Pick a weekend
when they have an event (we liked the harvest festival weekend, and the
weekend they had the '49er days and built a old miners tent city). Stay at
Marble Quarrey RV park and just walk to town on the trail they have. Ride
a old stage coach and eat a fresh made candy or carmel apple. Or have
a beer in one of the 4 bars... In a state park to say the least!!! Go
by the many wineries, and the drive to the big trees just up the road. Used
to be able to drive a car through one of them.

I can go on forever... We went all over that area.. When we go on vacation we just pick a direction and go. We have a idea where we will end up, but
sometimes we end up someplace else. We always ask the locals at the
campgrounds what is in the area, and look at camping guides and use
the internet.

'00 F350 Supercrewzer Lariet, PSD, Auto, 3.73, CC, 4x4, SWB, SRW, Gearhead tunes, S&B CAI, 4-inch turbo back exhaust, 38R, 160/30, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Trans w/ 6L cooler, In-tank/pre-pump mod, heater/AC mod, AIH removed / Packages: Trailer Tow, Camper, Off-Road.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Oh Yeah! I forgot about "festivals"

One of my dream trips is to go from one bar-b-cue competition / chilli cook-off to another, sampling the fare.

Then there are the "Blues & Brews" type things, the Gilroy Garlic Festival, all sorts of "local" festivals to try & go to. Might try the FoodNetork, and see if they link to any regional cookoffs / festivals.

There are also reinactments & rendevous to go to too.

OMC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
I am up for anything, the first real long trip I have planned is to Annapolis in August. That is to visit my son after plebe summer. We are looking at the KOA at the end of the river since it is within his 22 mile leave radius. If there is something closer I would like to know. We don't really like to dry camp over a day or so, I have kids and they like to do things, althought I am not adverse to the idea. If we can see something most folks don't get to see, that is what I am all about.
Millersville KOA? Unless your Middie can get you into the Naval Station Annapolis FamCamp (across the river from USNA.. Millersville KOA is a good bet.. No state parks with camping near Annapolis..

August?? Gonna be hot hot hot & humid.. pack for a two shower day..

Y2K F-350-XLT-SC-Shortie-6sp-4X4-Silver/Gray...

Last edited by Sandman; 05-06-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in