Cargo Trailer Experience - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cargo Trailer Experience

Hello all,

I am looking into getting a 16 or 20 foot enclosed cargo trailer to store at least 5000 pounds of tools. I am not looking to travel very far, mostly just for storage.

Does anyone have advice for when I go shopping around for a trailer? Brands to avoid? Waterproof... Axles wheels brakes...

Most of the ones I see in pictures don't appear to have much in the way of tie-down anchors...

Another question is one of ordinance. Being proactive I consulted with the county and the county I am in apparently has codes against storing of even registered vehicles on undeveloped land. This is why I am doing the trailer route instead of a cargo container. That way if I run into problems I can move it easy. Has anyone had experience with ordinance issues of this type? I am trying to be friendly to the one neighbor I have and doing everything I can to make a space to hide it when parking it but have to plan for the worst.

This is a middle step toward building my home which I don't have a set time frame. If I did know when/what I was going to build I would be able to get a building permit and then storing on the land would be legal.

As for my rant. It seems kinda ridiculous to me that people park trailers, mobile homes, boats, you name it everywhere along public streets. AND once you have a residence you can park and store multiple vehicles and shipping containers. So it's like you have to first put a just as ugly depending on opinion house on a property before you can put ugly (again depending on opinion) vehicle parked on a property. Would make more sense to let people have more property rights freedoms as long as they are meeting visual, safety, and common sense ideals.

1988 F350 XLT Lariat Crew Cab 2WD 1 Ton 7.3 L 445 CID V8 OHV 16V, 5spd manual, dual rear tires, Turbo Diesel, with gooseneck reciever and regular trailer hitch.
1971 F350 Petro (originally a flatbed), 4x4, with 68 Body, 460 motor ported
1977 F250 Petro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:26 PM

If you aren't going to travel I would look on Craigslist or Facebook for a used one. You can get them for about half the price. I have had good luck with finding them in real good shape.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM

My Photos: (8)
I agree get a used one (same for RV's). I prefer leaf springs, 16 in tires, and electric brakes. Once it is in place consider removing tires so trailer theft is less of an issue. Big lock for the back door. If you are going to work out of it while building house consider building ramp or steps to make your life easier.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very few trailers actually come with tie downs installed inside of them. There are a number of different ones that you can buy and install yourself. So don't let that be a sale breaker.

As was mentioned watch Craig's List and your area for sale listings. A lot of people will buy one for a one time use and then sell it hoping to get a good price for it

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM

The last two I bought were only used a few times. One was never put on the road and both of them I got for less than half price. If you have time to look deals are out there. I had to drive 6 hours to get the one but it was well worth it. When I sold it I made a grand.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I plan on visiting the used trailer dealers. They spam craigslist and post trailers for sale asking the same price as individuals.
I have also noticed what you mentioned Texkenusmc. People will buy a trailer to move across country or buy just for a single use purpose because it probably made economic sense to them at the time and then want to sell it to reclaim the money they spent.

I'm going to be looking at the wall thickness and types of the different brands. Some appear to be really thin and cheap while others seem to be more durable thicker plywood (good for mounting anchor or tie-down points). The brand "Snake River" I noticed have some high payload capacity.

1988 F350 XLT Lariat Crew Cab 2WD 1 Ton 7.3 L 445 CID V8 OHV 16V, 5spd manual, dual rear tires, Turbo Diesel, with gooseneck reciever and regular trailer hitch.
1971 F350 Petro (originally a flatbed), 4x4, with 68 Body, 460 motor ported
1977 F250 Petro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in