CO2 the thread of life - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile CO2 the thread of life

O.K. let's see how this new Off-Topic forum works.
My contention is that CO2 is inescapable since it is the product of respiration and all of us living things from bugs to grass produce carbon dioxide.

So if that is true, and it is true. How will we be able to control CO2? It looks like some of us must stop breathing in order to stop global warming.

Now if this is a political comment please take it off and I will try something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:16 PM

I'll be a sucker

Your basic premise is flawed---all living things do not exhale carbon dioxide---quit the contrary---all plants--with some very limited exceptions "inhale" carbon dioxide as “feed stock” for the photosynthesis process and “exhale” oxygen.

And---so you ask---what happened to the carbon—it is sequestered in the plant—at least as long as the plant is alive.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM

My Photos: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
O.K. let's see how this new Off-Topic forum works.
My contention is that CO2 is inescapable since it is the product of respiration and all of us living things from bugs to grass produce carbon dioxide.

So if that is true, and it is true. How will we be able to control CO2? It looks like some of us must stop breathing in order to stop global warming.

Now if this is a political comment please take it off and I will try something else.
Mushrooms do the same things animals do, they breath oxygen and push out CO2.
No more mushroom pizza?

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

"Carbon dioxide is produced by all animals, plants, fungi and microorganisms during respiration and is used by plants during photosynthesis." Sorry for the underlines, but I copied it out of Wikipedia. I believe neither one of us is in error. My statement had to do with respiration and what I believe is the foolishness of holding one item (CO2) responsible for global warming. I heard one scientist say that we can no more control global warming than we can control a tornado, a blizzard, etc. . Our only path is to learn to adapt to it.

Last edited by grassfarmer; 04-29-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: to provide the quotes
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM

My Photos: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
"Carbon dioxide is produced by all animals, plants, fungi and microorganisms during respiration and is used by plants during photosynthesis." Sorry for the underlines, but I copied it out of Wikipedia. I believe neither one of us is in error. My statement had to do with respiration and what I believe is the foolishness of holding one item (CO2) responsible for global warming. I heard one scientist say that we can no more control global warming than we can control a tornado, a blizzard, etc. . Our only path is to learn to adapt to it.
I agree with you 100% We'd have an easier time putting out the sun.

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My take on the whole thing is hasn't the earth been warming up ever since the last ice age? Also in my neck of the woods you could of fooled everybody that we were getting warmer. Quite a few days below zero along with record snow fall.

Jim

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM

My Photos: (8)
I don't necisarily agree with the "dooms day" hystaria about global warming. I agree there are factors that we can't control. For example, valcanoes supposedly have a certain chemical make-up that is found in their plums. Supposedly these chemicals help trap green-house gases in the atmosphere and return it to earth.

The only conclusion I have for myself is that the earth naturally stores CO2 in swaps, forests, coal, gasses, oil, ect, and we are deliberatly returning CO2 back into the atmosphere at staggering rates compared to how long it took to put it there.

That's my opinion, and we all know how those are.

THE BLUE BOMBER! Currently Toast !!!!

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

According some some serious climatologists the lack of sun spot activity might spell another cooling period not dissimilar to a mini ice age. For my part, being a farmer of sunlight I can do without too much snow and ice.
The rapidly approaching chaos which will result when our large cities run out of drinking water is more of a problem then CO2. Since water is a finite resource I doubt we will be able to fix that problem, no matter who get the Nobel Prize.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 PM

I'm with the rest of you guys. And like others have said, this winter has rambled on long enough. I talked to my dad in southern Idaho, it's still been getting down to 23 degrees cosistantly at night. An average year we should see a low of about 33-35. Makes the potatoes that we've planted already rather chilly at night.

Water is the biggest issue here too.

10' F-350 Powerstroke CC SB, XLT, 4X4, auto. Stock for awhile.

01' F-350 Powerstroke CC SB, 4X4, auto. MODS: 4" Exhaust with muffler delete, ATS E-Power Tuner, Autometer Phantom pyro, and boost guages, Rapid Flow intake.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:46 AM

My Photos: (2)
Possibility?

Just a theroy, but is it possible that global warming becomes a big issue during election years due to all of the hot matter being exhaled.

Travis
1996 Extended Cab Long Bed XLT, 4x4, 3.55LS, Tymar Intake, Diamond Eye Performance 4" Exhaust, Meyer C-8 Plow, Timbren Load Levelers
Case 1845c Uni-Loader
PowerStrokes And Duck Hunting-It Doesn't Get Any Better
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 AM

I'm all for clean air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty John View Post
I agree with you 100% We'd have an easier time putting out the sun.
I'm very much for saving energy and not importing energy but many many scientists are calling BS on CO-2 as a pollutant. CO yes, NOX yes, particles yes but CO-2 just doesn't belong there.

Ya-all take it from your old buddy roofeditor, I know all about the square root of negative one and eventually will be proved right on the CO-2 boondoggle.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 AM

MT765, Is that a Big Bud tractor in your avatar? The thing looks sweet, can't tell what it is, it almost looks like a Cat, but the white color is throwing me off.

Some might argue that they don't do well for global warming.

87 ford f-350 cab-chassis dually. 2wd, 6.9, 3 speed C-6. 3 leaf helper springs, 11,000 gvwr, pintle/ball hitch, 6 pin round trailer connector (unhooked currently). Rear generic truck stop lights. Twin I beam front end with coil springs. Plow lights and switch to go from headlights to plow lights. 8.5 foot meyer diamond plow with central hydrolics. 8 foot rugby dump bed. 167,000 miles and still strong. Solid State Glow Plug Controller.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM

WhiteGardens, it is a Cat. It's the special anniversary edition they made last year. I don't remember why they painted it white, other then to draw attention to it. I do remember that it does have a straight pipe so ya, some could argue it doesn't do well for global warming. But I heard it sounds awesome! Some farmer from the midwest bought it too. We have a older version of one, an MT865, it'll burn about 27 gallons of diesel an hour when you work her hard. But the older 95E's will burn about 35 gallons of diesel an hour so the new ones could be a little "greener" so to speak.

01' F-350 Powerstroke CC SB, 4X4, auto. MODS: 4" Exhaust with muffler delete, ATS E-Power Tuner, Autometer Phantom pyro, and boost guages, Rapid Flow intake.

Last edited by MT765; 04-30-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Picture
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Talking about the tractors and CO2: I'm sure some of you have heard of farmers pumping the exhaust from the tractors back into the ground. Some say it's for carbon credits, but from what I understand it's all about the NOx. The purpose is to break the NOx down once it gets into the ground. In the end you should have nitrogen and oxygen, but the few that I've seen do it have seen no benefits. I wonder how much the CO2 stays in the ground though? Is it enough to get carbon credits?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM

Oh, I grew up on a farm. I still go back to be a big boy with big toys.

My family has decided to go 100% with bio-diesel. At least that's a start in the green direction and helps to support their fellow farmers. It's a tough argument about CO2 emissions and large equipment. There will always be a need for large earth movers, trains, big rigs ect.

Sweet tractor though, never had a chance to drive a Cat. My father had a John Deere with tracks and that's the closest I've come. From what I hear though, they don't compare.

Thanks for the pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in