Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussions (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/)
-   -   Does anybody here work for CAT? (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/does-anybody-here-work-cat-207273/)

massbadass 08-21-2008 03:20 PM

Does anybody here work for CAT?

Hello,

I was just curious if anybody here worked for Caterpillar and could tell me if they like their job. I was thinking of enrolling in the ThinkBIG program they have. Also what is the pay like? Any info i can acquire will be a great help.

WormDrowner 08-22-2008 12:43 PM

The Think Big program will train you for a technician position at a CAT dealer. As each dealer is a separate business, you will find that every one is different. My father worked for 3 dealers, Ohio CAT, Alban CAT & finally retiring from Mustang CAT. He was a Field Service Technician for over 40+ years. Some dealers were better than others. Ohio CAT is a union shop, while Alban & Mustang aren't.

I moved to Ohio from Texas a few years back and have been working as a Financial Analyst for Ohio CAT. They have been one of the best employers I have worked for. It's just too bad that they are in Ohio, as I really want to go back home to Texas!

massbadass 08-23-2008 03:11 AM

Cool, so how much can one expect to make being say a field service tech, or truck engine tech/shop tech.

WormDrowner 08-25-2008 01:22 PM

Ohio is a union state, so the rates would be different from Oklahoma. Your best bet would be to talk to someone at Warren CAT, the dealer for Oklahoma & West Texas.

New and Used Construction Equipment Dealer for North & West Texas & Oklahoma - Warren CAT | Home

New and Used Construction Equipment Dealer for North & West Texas & Oklahoma - Warren CAT | ABC Program

massbadass 08-26-2008 08:13 PM

thank you

WormDrowner 08-27-2008 12:42 PM

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things work out for you.

massbadass 08-29-2008 08:36 PM

going to be a while, still got to get out of Iraq then out of the military (which is only a frw months after Iraq). Then we have to decide what state we want to live in. So far its California but nothing is set in stone yet.

WormDrowner 09-02-2008 12:26 PM

Well, keep your butt safe over there and let me know when you get home. I'll see if I can find specific information for you when you pick a spot.

fastlanesimmons 09-07-2008 12:12 AM

I have a good friend that works for CAT. He is a field service tech and enjoys his job. Great pay and plenty of opportunity for OT.

massbadass 09-07-2008 07:12 PM

thats good, i am getting antsy but im still stuck for now. I was thinking either engine tech or shop tech, I am not ruling out field service but i did it for the retail petroleum industry and it can be very demanding on your time.

chuckster57 09-07-2008 07:17 PM

80 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by massbadass (Post 1615757)
So far its California but nothing is set in stone yet.

Where abouts in Calif are you considering. BTW THANK-YOU very much for your service in Iraq

DeepRoots 09-07-2008 07:24 PM

or work offshore...
i work as a tugboat engineer.

work on detroits at the moment, cats are going in our boats in 1.5-2 years.
sure i live on a boat 8 months a year, but 4months I do what I want.
some companies work equal time as well.
plus the pay is considerably higher than land jobs.

drew

massbadass 09-21-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster57 (Post 1618798)
Where abouts in Calif are you considering. BTW THANK-YOU very much for your service in Iraq

You are welcome, when I finally get out (this tour is dragging by) the wife and I were thinking Sacramento. It seems there are quite a few places around there to work. Plus theres a Wayne Services Group office there if the whole diesel mechanic career doesn't work out. (I have worked for them before in New England) I do as much online research as possible, especially since it can get boring here some days. The only thing that gets me about Sacramento is the cost of housing/ renting. Is there a lot of stuff to do in central Cali? I know there is NOTHING at Lawton/ FT. Sill. I would like to live out in the country area if possible, especially since I am going to be picking up a 20-26 ft gooseneck trailer when I get home. Thank you for any and all the information I can get. I like to plan ahead (as if you couldn't tell) :read: