Economic ramifications of impending hurricanes - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 AM

My Photos: (23)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry.. got a lot of relatives down there too. Some are already planning on leaving, others are preparing to hunker down.

Looks like you may get to test the hurricane ratings on your new solar installation.

So is Upstate NY in your plans again?

'15, F250 XLT, CC, 172", 6.2L, Ruby Red, FX4, 3.73 Locker, ESOF, Rear sway bar, Chrome, Back-Up Camera, Tail Gate Step, Upfitter Switches, Ford Mud Flaps & wheelwell liners, Trailer Brake Controller, White-Night Backup Lights, Husky Liners, Line-X Bed Liner, Master Lock Bed Lock, Swing Case tool box, AnchorTrax Cargo Control System, Audio by Alpine & Audio Control, Audiovox Remote Start & Tracking system, Fumoto Valve, BAK-FLIP HD cover. Hella Driving Lights, LED Cab-Step lights, LED Bed Lights. Putco LED Daytime Running Lights
~~~(RIP. Retired by a big tree limb during Hurricane Irene.)~~~
'01 F350 XLT, CC, 4x4, V10, SRW, LWB, Auto, 3.73LS, Island Blue

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 09-06-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM

My Photos: (0)
Our solar has been tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob View Post
Sorry.. got a lot of relatives down there too. Some are already planning on leaving, others are preparing to hunker down.

Looks like you may get to test the hurricane ratings on your new solar installation.

So is Upstate NY in your plans again?
And Dade county certified to 150 mph. I have no fear that if the building survives the solar will also!!!

Here is the Dade county web site approval for our solar.

http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcod...a/07080301.pdf

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Actually we actually looked at

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkthisout View Post
Maybe Picken's will put up some wind turbines in Florida.

When a storm is approaching you can just take power from the grid and use the Turbines to blow the storm back out to sea.
Installing some in Key West. Not enough steady wind!

Possibly we could drop a hydrogen bomb in a hurricane to break it up?

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

My Photos: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofeditor View Post
Installing some in Key West. Not enough steady wind!

Possibly we could drop a hydrogen bomb in a hurricane to break it up?
Might take a few hundred or thousand
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM

My Photos: (7)
Nukes eh? Nothing quite like making thousands of square miles uninhabitable for decades (or longer) by pissing a few trillion bucks worth of enriched plutonium, uranium, deuterium, tritium, and beryllium into a hurricane to solve the problem of the outright stupidity of building (and worse, RE-building) a city along the coast in a KNOWN hurricane area...below sea level. Congress should condemn that place and not disperse another nickel towards "fixing" it. If the state wants to rebuild it, fine- but no more federal funding for levees, dikes, pumps, electric bills or cheap temporary trailers and relocation camps. That goes for any city built in stupid, irresponsible places. Besides, we need the tax revenue to pay for the damage done by the morons at Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae so "everyone can experience the amerikan dream of home ownership" at someone else's expense. And of course WE THE TAX SLAVES need to urge congress to hand $50 billion to the auto industry to keep their shareholders afloat. So go ahead and vote for you sociopath politicians that want to bring about "change" because that's all either party intends to leave in your pockets: change- mostly pennies. The GOP had ONE last chance to do right by this nation and uphold the constitution via Ron Paul. But now that's gone and we're going to reap what we've sown to the whirl wind.

"Fool me once, shame on...uh...me, fool me twice....uh, well anyway, we won't get fooled again." Yeah, right. Not in my lifetime.

clam the powerstroke grinch
2000 Excursion LTD 4x4
Slightly tweaked HPCR 5.9 Cummins
Allison 1000 5 speed auto

Last edited by clamgulch; 09-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamgulch View Post
Nukes eh? Nothing quite like making thousands of square miles uninhabitable for decades (or longer) by pissing a few trillion bucks worth of enriched plutonium, uranium, deuterium, tritium, and beryllium into a hurricane to solve the problem of the outright stupidity of building (and worse, RE-building) a city along the coast in a KNOWN hurricane area...below sea level. Congress should condemn that place and not disperse another nickel towards "fixing" it. If the state wants to rebuild it, fine- but no more federal funding for levees, dikes, pumps, electric bills or cheap temporary trailers and relocation camps. That goes for any city built in stupid, irresponsible places. Besides, we need the tax revenue to pay for the damage done by the morons at Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae so "everyone can experience the amerikan dream of home ownership" at someone else's expense. And of course WE THE TAX SLAVES need to urge congress to hand $50 billion to the auto industry to keep their shareholders afloat. So go ahead and vote for you sociopath politicians that want to bring about "change" because that's all either party intends to leave in your pockets: change- mostly pennies. The GOP had ONE last chance to do right by this nation and uphold the constitution via Ron Paul. But now that's gone and we're going to reap what we've sown to the whirl wind.

"Fool me once, shame on...uh...me, fool me twice....uh, well anyway, we won't get fooled again." Yeah, right. Not in my lifetime.

Are you on Strike?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
New Orleans got swamped because the Dykes were inadequate and in disrepair, not because of an error in judgement in placing the port city.
Actually, New Orleans got swamped because it was hit with a friggin' hurricane.

Carry on...

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood tuned SCT, AFE Proguard7, STC Performance 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Bedrug, Snugtop, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

SOLD - Stroked Lightning - 2004 F250 6.0 Reg Cab Shortbed (longbed frame shortened 16"), Lowered 3"/5", 22" wheels, SCT tuned by John Woods, John Woods built 5R110, straight pipe with exit in bed, custom 4 link rear end, custom injectors by Full Force Diesel, Nitrous, Spearco IC, custom built 76mm turbo by Turbonetics, fuel system, batteries relocated to bed. All work done by Gene (weweld), driven by Gene.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 AM

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Are you on Strike?
Nope- thanks for asking! After 31 years, I quit as a direct employee on July 25, jumped on a plane and flew to Charleston, SC and started on July 28 as a salaried contractor at a sort-of subsidiary (it's now half-owned by my former employer)- doing the same job on the same project with the same people. That amounts to running away from home and moving in at Uncle Bud's house for a bigger allowance.

The weather, scenery and people here are fabulous but the cost of good housing is spendy, just like the Seattle area. Biggest hill I've seen since I got here is MAYBE 15 feet high, and that has been a bit shocking. 15 minute drive to the Atlantic ocean which is about 83 degrees. Traffic is NOTHING like Seattle, but rush hour can still be a PITA for about an hour morning and night.

clam the powerstroke grinch
2000 Excursion LTD 4x4
Slightly tweaked HPCR 5.9 Cummins
Allison 1000 5 speed auto

Last edited by clamgulch; 09-08-2008 at 07:33 AM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_C View Post
Actually, New Orleans got swamped because it was hit with a friggin' hurricane.

Carry on...

Well, I am sure that was a factor in the failure of the Dyke errr Dike errr Levee.....

Last edited by checkthisout; 09-08-2008 at 05:47 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamgulch View Post
Nope- thanks for asking! After 31 years, I quit as a direct employee on July 25, jumped on a plane and flew to Charleston, SC and started on July 28 as a salaried contractor at a sort-of subsidiary (it's now half-owned by my former employer)- doing the same job on the same project with the same people. That amounts to running away from home and moving in at Uncle Bud's house for a bigger allowance.

The weather, scenery and people here are fabulous but the cost of good housing is spendy, just like the Seattle area. Biggest hill I've seen since I got here is MAYBE 15 feet high, and that has been a bit shocking. 15 minute drive to the Atlantic ocean which is about 83 degrees. Traffic is NOTHING like Seattle, but rush hour can still be a PITA for about an hour morning and night.

Watch out for Tornados and Fire Ants and Tornados that spit Fire Ants at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in