Is the Ford service department sticking it to me? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Is the Ford service department sticking it to me?

I bought a 2014 Escape SE 1.6 ecoboost about 5 months ago from a Ford dealer. It has been a great car.
3 weeks ago I had a blow out on the front driver side and the power steering showed a fault and quit. When the tow truck got there the power steering was fine ( i researched this and what I found said when something goes way out of parameters it turns itself off and typically comes back fine after the car cools off) so I had it towed to the tire place. There I put 4 new tires(they were about due anyways) on it and got an alignment. Got the car back everything is great.

Fast forward to last Saturday as I am pulling into work all the sudden the car acts like it is neutral and rolls to a stop. I shifted it to every position restarted the car everything it, it acted as if it were in neutral, even in the park position it would roll. Everything else worked fine and no warning messeges, no codes that I could pick up with my OBDII reader. The only symptom I got was a grind noise as I tried to shift into park, almost like a clutch grinding.

I had it towed to my nearest ford dealer that has been servicing the car. They charged an hour and a half shop time just to say they need to look at it some more, now 2.5 hours later and $400+ bucks they have taken the front driver suspension assembly out. They also tell me that the car has been in an accident or something but they arent reading any accident codes. They say that they cannot get the trans-axle out of the transmission and that something must be broken holding it in. Now they want to charge 18hrs to take the transmission out of the car and tell me whats wrong.

My first problem is that the car has a clean carfax and clean reports in Fords system and all I had was a blowout, how does that constitute a transmission damaging accident. Thus they say it is not under powertrain warranty.

All that aside my jaw dropped when they said 18hrs just to take the transmission out and open it up. In my experience you should be able to pull the trans, rebuild it and put it back in within that time frame. I did confirm that the transmission comes out separate from the engine.

18 hours seems 3 or 4 times longer than it should take just to pull it and pop it open in a fully tooled service shop with a shop manual. From the time I spent looking at it I feel that I could have it out in 4 or 5 hours in my home shop if I had a lift.

I was in a rush when spoke with the service manager yesterday and he is supposed to be getting me a quote for a rebuild and a replacement and call me back. I am hoping he misspoke and that 18 hours was for the pull rebuild reinstall time.

Also anyone know a place to get a good transmission assembly for a 2014 escape 1.6L FWD?

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6

Last edited by Relentless007; 02-27-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 AM

My Photos: (27)
That's a weird one. I'm definitely not qualified to have an opinion, but it will be interesting to see how this finally ends up.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

They are also telling me that they can see what looks like a new race around the trans axle, Not real how they can see it, how they can tell it is new? The car has 36,300 miles on it, thus I dont know of any reason someone would have been in the trans before.

Its the 16 hours to pull trans which baffles me.

BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
Tymar Air Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Actually 16 hours is not bad IF the estimate is for removal, REPAIR and reinstallation. Factory time for just those two operations is 13.4 which does not include diagnosis, replacing or flushing the cooler. But hey, if you can do it faster...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Update.

We had a miss communication 16hrs is to get it back on the road good as new. So thats better. Now we have to figure out the warranty situation. I dont know how they determine the cause of failure. The blow out is the only incident with the car and it has been just fine in the 2 weeks since then. Hopefully once it is opened they can figure it out.

BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
Tymar Air Intake
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Final Update,
Sorry been a long time to get back around to this one.

Once the opened up the trance they found that the end of the trans-axle had sheared off at where the retainer groove is, and did not see any other damage. They replaced it and put it back together. The car is back on the road and i have since put about 10k miles on it and running good. While I am not happy about how the warranty situation played out from for I have to tip my hat to the service manager at the dealership I was working with. They got me out of there for a little North of $700 and have 50k mile warranty on the transmission. I know he fought Ford to have this covered. Sucks it wasn't covered by ford or the other dealer that sold the car did not step up. However for the price and time frame they took care of all that I am more than satisfied with that dealer/service center.

BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
Tymar Air Intake
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 AM

With them saying that it was in a accident is a very real option. The original owner may of damaged it and it repaired with out taking it to a dealer or reporting it to insurance. If this was the case then nothing would show up. Never ever 100% count on carfax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in