Hey Hig/Tutt you got gas? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Hig/Tutt you got gas?

Gasoline shortages XXXXXXXXXX hit towns across the southeastern United States this week, sparking panic buying, long lines and high prices at stations from the small towns of northeast Alabama to Charlotte in the wake of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.
In Atlanta, half of the gasoline XXXXXXXXXX stations were closed, according to AAA, which said the supply disruptions had taken place along two major petroleum product pipelines that have operated well below capacity since the hurricanes knocked offshore oil production and several refineries XXXX out of service along the Gulf of Mexico.

Just wondering.

XXXXXXXXXXXX = slight changes to article so as to be not a direct copy.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to bockhold
you can copy paste the article on the forum if ya want.

our area to my knowlege is not in the shortage. i thought that was over.

2006 F250 XLT CCSB 5r110 FX4
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
you can copy paste the article on the forum if ya want.
That statement is incorrect.

The Membership agreement here states in part
Quote:
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by TheDieselStop.Com.
That particular link that Roofie posted is to a website which has specific policies listed stating the necessary steps someone must take to obtain possible permission to republish one of their articles. Copy and pasting is considered republishing.

TheDieselStop.Com Moderator & Former Photo Editor
Had a May '02 F350 7.3L SC Lariat 4x4 Auto. Sold In 5/2016 it had 321.1K+ miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Had a June '97 F350 7.3L Reg Cab XLT 4x4 Auto SRW, OEM Radio w/CD. Sold In 5/2016 it had 208.1K+ miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:26 AM

My Photos: (14)
Copyright Fair Use Exemptiom, from the copyright office website:

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBUNDO View Post
Copyright Fair Use Exemptiom, from the copyright office website:

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use
Here is the point from the link relevant....i think?

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author's observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.

Now back to the question before the thread was hijacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is the gas and diesel in Atlanta and Birmingham for Hig/Tutt?

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to bockhold
i see. my bad

2006 F250 XLT CCSB 5r110 FX4
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM

My Photos: (19)
Atlanta is a nightmare, around here the supply is good, regular around 3.69 and diesel 4.09, looking for it to go up this week since there will be several hundred thousand folks heading for Talladega to the race. The only time I saw a little shortage was the first day then everyone had gas. Our governor invoked the anti-gouging law so no one was allowed to go crazy with the prices. Two stations near me raised their price to 4.49 and were promptly cited by State Troopers and they lowered it to 3.99, now it is down to 3.69 as previously stated. Atlanta is a whole other problem. For what I understand from friends and colleagues who live there it is a mess. Then again 200,000 more folks live in metropolitan Atlanta than live in my entire state.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM

I was just wondering why Boone Pickens doen't have some CNG service stations in that area. He would be making a killing now. What happened to the propane rigs so popular a few years ago?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks higg/Tutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
Atlanta is a nightmare, around here the supply is good, regular around 3.69 and diesel 4.09, looking for it to go up this week since there will be several hundred thousand folks heading for Talladega to the race. The only time I saw a little shortage was the first day then everyone had gas. Our governor invoked the anti-gouging law so no one was allowed to go crazy with the prices. Two stations near me raised their price to 4.49 and were promptly cited by State Troopers and they lowered it to 3.99, now it is down to 3.69 as previously stated. Atlanta is a whole other problem. For what I understand from friends and colleagues who live there it is a mess. Then again 200,000 more folks live in metropolitan Atlanta than live in my entire state.
Second question. When we has gas shortages in florida after hurricanes Frances, Jeanne, wilma we had gas shortage but diesel was just fine. Is that the case with your area? just wondering.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
What happened to the propane rigs so popular a few years ago?
Propane/butane powered pickups were popular from the 1950s through the 1980s because many farmers/ranchers had propane-powered farm tractors, and they could easily cheat and use untaxed "tractor gas" without much chance of getting caught as a tax evader. The city boys never did use propane, because they didn't have a convenient source of untaxed propane. And very few farmers bothered to convert their cars, because the propane tank took up the whole trunk. And besides, it was an expensive conversion.

But if you have to pay full retail price including road tax for propane, then it's not cost effective. Propane has about 25 percent less BTU per gallon than regular gasoline, so your "gas" mileage is a lot less with propane. And in most places, propane now costs about the same as gasoline.

But the main thing that killed propane as a pickup fuel was when diesel tractors replaced gasoline or propane tractors, and diesel-powered pickups replaced propane-fueled pickups. The farmers no longer had huge 1,000-gallon propane tanks from which they could conveniently fill up the pickup with untaxed propane.

Back in the 1950s and '60s, our pickups were dual fuel = butane and gasoline. Gasoline was about 30 cents per gallon and tractor gas butane was about 7 cents per gallon. So we used a lot of butane (propane) in our pickup. Because of the worse gas mileage, we rarely bought taxed propane when on the road, because the cost-per-mile was less on regular gas than on taxed propane. The pickup ran just fine on eigher fuel, but got a lot better MPG on gasoline.

Farmers and ranchers don't run the red tractor diesel in their pickups, because the revenooers look for pickups with red in the fuel tank, and the fine is very, very high when you get caught.

I still have a 500-gallon butane/propane tank I use to heat the house, and I fill up my old propane-powered Massey-Ferguson Model 50 tractor from that same tank. But I don't have a pickup that will burn propane now - just diesel.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofeditor View Post
Second question. When we has gas shortages in florida after hurricanes Frances, Jeanne, wilma we had gas shortage but diesel was just fine. Is that the case with your area? just wondering.
Diesel stayed the same for the first week, then jumped to 4.49 and is now back to 4.09 and have seen some 3.99, however I could not get my rig to the pumps in those stations, but yes diesel prices were much more stable than gasoline during this situation.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM

I traveled this weekend from NC to Macon GA. It was bad through Charlotte NC, Columbia SC and into Macon GA. I never had an issue but I would start looking for a place once I hit half a tank. I drove the gasser vs my 250, some what wish it would have been the diesel. Most places had diesel that had no gas. I saw many places in GA and SC 2 out of 5 stores had no gas.... very random as to who had it.

Even around me in Mebane NC a few of the big stations(Sheetz, Fuel City...) had nothing but diesel if anything.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM

My Photos: (14)
I have a Honda GX CNG. It is purpose-built as a CNG car, and is hence very efficient, because it has 12.5:1 compression, which takes full advantage of the 120 +/- octane rating of CNG. Converting a normal car to run on both gas & CNG is not only very expensive, but fails to run the CNG at optimal compression, resulting in much poorer power when switched to CNG. But NG certainly has a better infrastructure than Propane, and though fueling locations aren't everywhere, usually the NG is as near as your house, and home refueling is possible then.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:54 PM

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Pretty much. No problems finding diesel in metro Atlanta though. I've seen the oily stuff for 3.89 - 4.39. It'll be a few more days for gassers. Still glad I have my 59 gallon Transfer Flow tank

2014 F250 Platinum CC Short Bed 4x4, 6.2 (I Got Gas Now!)
2003 F250 XLT CC Long Bed 4x4, 6.0 w/Auto (SOLD)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Same here.

Quote:
Diesel stayed the same for the first week, then jumped to 4.49 and is now back to 4.09 and have seen some 3.99, however I could not get my rig to the pumps in those stations, but yes diesel prices were much more stable than gasoline during this situation.
Diesel went up but it was easily available!!! No lines at all and no pumps out of fuel! John was driving 2 hours each way to get gasoline for his generators. 4 hours of driving to go get a few cans of gas????????? Not to efficient!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in