I was cussin a - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Angry I was cussin a

Blue streak last night watching 60 minutes while they were grilling Staff Sgt .Frank Weterich for doing his duty ,following orders ..I know there are two sides to every story ,,,with that said ..

The part that made me so mad was ,,the smug attitude of the interviewer .As though ,if he were there,, it would have been a different outcome ...Having a son that has been there ,has made me less objective ..

A Quote from a comment on the story:

Quote:
They place an IED then go throw on a dress and burka. The enemy is not clearly defined in this war, every thing is not just black and white, cut and dry. It is kill or be killed. We dont have a clue what our troops are going through over there.
Any way,, end of rant ...

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
friends that were in anm--said same thing--had to shoot kids--cause they carried ak's, and grenades---and would set off the grenades kamikaze style----that has to hurt,--but kill--or be killed---somewhat the same with the suicide muslims terrorists

94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 PM

I though the same. It's a little different carring a mic/camera inplace of a weapon. What's that line...

"Walk a mile in my shoes..."

June 1996 F250HD XLT/SC, LWB, 4x4, 4:10LS, E4OD, White outside, Gray inside, Camper/Tow pack, Factory Aluminum wheels, Factory rear slider, decal free.
Factory AIC, Aux dash switches, Full add-a-leaf, Mile Marker SS Hubs, Upgraded E4OD Tranny, Tymar intake and HPX crossover line, BD downpipe, Exhaust brake, 203* stat, BriteBox, California Regulator mod, Truck Interiors Winterfront, Ported bug guard, Energy Suspension bushings rolling on 265x75 Bridgestone Revo's.

KD7UBW - PHAR (Public Health Amateur Radio)

2008.5 Mazda 3s Touring 5 door in Copper Red Mica w/indash 6 disk Cd changer/MP3 and moonroof: The Wifes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM

My Photos: (32)
I didn't see the broadcast, but I don't worry too much about a Marine E-6's ability to stand up to an interview, presumably one which he consented to.

What I do worry about is that the incident will be closed without investigating why they were sent into circumstances where their survival instinct caused them to fire on civilians, (assuming they were not simply ordered to fire on civilians) why the intelligence is so poor that they don't have what they need to distinguish enemies from bystanders, the whole weight of the incident will land on SSgt Frank Wuterich and the real perpetrators will waltz away scot-free.

Again.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 PM

My Photos: (14)
Intelligence is not "God", all-knowing and all-seeing. There will always be intelligence gaps, and things that can be done by enemies, often single individuals, that can never be known ahead of time by anyone else.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:33 PM

My Photos: (45)
War is hell. Guerilla warfare is even a worse kind of hell.

Freedom is not free. Somebody has to be out there killing women and kids so the rest of us are free to criticize them. It's a tough job. But the anti-war leftist peacniks don't want anybody to tackle that job. And yes, the 60 Minutes show is plumb full of anti-war leftists. So watch it with a grain of salt. And continue to remember that freedom is not free. Somebody has to pay the tab.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
I didn't see the broadcast, but I don't worry too much about a Marine E-6's ability to stand up to an interview, presumably one which he consented to.

What I do worry about is that the incident will be closed without investigating why they were sent into circumstances where their survival instinct caused them to fire on civilians, (assuming they were not simply ordered to fire on civilians) why the intelligence is so poor that they don't have what they need to distinguish enemies from bystanders, the whole weight of the incident will land on SSgt Frank Wuterich and the real perpetrators will waltz away scot-free.

Again.
They were told the area had been evacuated of friendlys ,,,any one still there was a threat ....

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
Action..gotta remember..Sgt.W. said he didn't see hostile action coming from the house..just assumed cause of its location from him. Someone said..kill 1st ask Q. later. IIRC..Sgt.W. didn't personally kill anyone, but also didn't see any hostile action being taken against him & others?

Other soldier interviewed (wasn't with sgt.w.) said visual needed, but he wouldn't kill 1st/ask Q. later. Maybe easier said than done? Tragedy for sure, but for who?

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM

need a five day waiting period on those suicide bomb vests.

that'd fix it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRoots View Post
need a five day waiting period on those suicide bomb vests.

that'd fix it.
Maybe ...

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT View Post
Action..gotta remember..Sgt.W. said he didn't see hostile action coming from the house..just assumed cause of its location from him. Someone said..kill 1st ask Q. later. IIRC..Sgt.W. didn't personally kill anyone, but also didn't see any hostile action being taken against him & others?

Other soldier interviewed (wasn't with sgt.w.) said visual needed, but he wouldn't kill 1st/ask Q. later. Maybe easier said than done? Tragedy for sure, but for who?
They had to figure it came from near by ..

Kids dying bothers me alot ,,,It was the interviewer I had most trouble with ...I've been shot at a few times ,,& I know it changes things ...

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM

My Photos: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Somebody has to be out there killing women and kids so the rest of us are free to criticize them.
That's a stupid statement.

If you meant to say that someone has to fight for our freedom and it unfortunately can result in collateral damage...........that's one thing.

The way it is worded however just gives credence to the whole story.

Although I personally haven't served (and take my hat off to all those that have), my Dad, my son and son-in-law have all served and each of them have enough maturity not to say something so dumb.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Gandy View Post
That's a stupid statement.
Stupid? Why don't you go to the war zone where women and kids are blowingup American servicemen, then come back and tell me it's stupid?

I don't have personal experience with the current war on terror, but I was on active duty from 1961 through March, 1973. You've heard of a little conflict called 'Nam? Even back then women and children were killing American servicemen. So I know that war is hell, and sometimes we have to kill women and children, and sometimes it's not "collateral damage". It was heartbreaking to watch our guys returning from 'Nam and being met at the airport by ignorant peacniks calling them baby killers. Now if you want stupid, that was stupid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 PM

My Photos: (47)
If it so happens that women and children are fighting, then yes....they are the enemy.

That's not what you said though. You made it sound like that one of their "duties" is to go out and kill women and children.

I can't help but wonder why you spent 12 years and then got out with only 8 more for a retirement. My Dad spent 26 years, retired as a CMSGT and yes..........he was in 'Nam too. And when he finally got home, you can bet this 10 year old wasn't calling anyone a "baby killer."
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 AM

If women and children are the enemy!

Which in the case of Vietnam and in the case of Iraq, Afghanistan and most of the mid-east they are, then they are also fair game!

I was over there in 1971 and the enemy did not wear a uniform and line up in nice definable lines. WW-2 probably was that last of this, war has become a thing of more so gorilla wars and defining the enemy is difficult if not hard or even impossible at times.

I strongly object to be calling any soldier today and/or of Viet Nam anything other than a hero doing a hard job.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in