Imagine a car where even the paint is engineered! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Imagine a car where even the paint is engineered!

The new 2014 Mazda6 features reengineered paint that contains light reflective metallic. the Soul Red colour combines highlights, shade and depth that emphasize its dynamic shape. Because of this, the car can look quite different depending on the lighting and angle you are looking at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Paint has been a highly engineered part of the car for over a century. Remember the saying credited to Henry Ford that you could have any color you like, as long as it was black? That's because black was the only paint that would dry fast enough for the assembly line. They then began engineering other colors to get them to dry faster. I have a friend that was a paint engineer at Ford.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Paint has been a highly engineered part of the car for over a century. Remember the saying credited to Henry Ford that you could have any color you like, as long as it was black? That's because black was the only paint that would dry fast enough for the assembly line. They then began engineering other colors to get them to dry faster. I have a friend that was a paint engineer at Ford.
That's mainly why I watch the street rod and biker shows nowadays just to learn about the interesting trick things they do with paint and paint jobs. My fairly new 2007 1/2 ton has a color that "flops" as the car show guys call it, Salsa Red Pearl and it changes quite a bit depending on the angle the sun/light is hitting it. The main problem is, throw a pillow at the side of it and it will scratch the paint. Supposedly the excuse for easily scratched paint is the mfgrs have had to go to a water base paint and all the made in USA vehicles are that way. Don't know it it's true or not. My old '91 F250 came without clearcoat and it has "old type" paint but the paintjob on it has held up amazingly well.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 08-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Paints have changed a lot in recent times due to EPA regulations. Painting vehicles used to put A LOT of crap into the atmosphere. The EPA has greatly reduced what is allowed.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Paints have changed a lot in recent times due to EPA regulations. Painting vehicles used to put A LOT of crap into the atmosphere. The EPA has greatly reduced what is allowed.
In the early 80's while I was working at an airline as a painter, water based paints were being discussed as exterior finishes for the jets. IIRC the argument against them was the adhesion and gloss retention wasn't as good as the poly urethanes we used. Left in '84 for more steady employment in the crime industry so I don't know what the final outcome was.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM

I corrected my upper post, meant to say my '91 DOES have the old type paint. It was looking real dull and 2 years ago I hit it with Meguiars aggressive compound followed by about 3 types of polishes/waxes with the different recommended buffer pads and I was surprised how well it came out. There's everything you ever want know about products, how to videos, etc, on www.autogeek.net . Great site IMO.
Quote:
Left in '84 for more steady employment in the crime industry so I don't know what the final outcome was.
By watching some of the TV shows it looks like you were still fairly surrounded by the paint industry-----massive tats!

Last edited by LMJD; 08-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM

We could run a whole thread about the different "formulations" used to produce the paint (ink) and even in colors other than black.

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We could run a whole thread about the different "formulations" used to produce the paint (ink) and even in colors other than black.
Well, we ARE in the Off Topic Section. Can't remember what state it was in, but a few had tattooed the whites of their eyes blue, a couple others a delightful red.
I just PM'ed you a link with a pic of a future brain surgeon. Thought it best not to put it here.

Last edited by LMJD; 08-21-2013 at 11:35 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

I don't understand the whole body decoration scene. Probably showing my age. A couple tats are fine, but some go WAY overboard.

When I owned an auto repair shop a guy came in looking for work as a tech. He had several pounds of metal on his face and tats all over his face and neck. I didn't even get far enough to find out if he would have been a good tech or not. He would have scared my customers so I just told him I wasn't hiring. Maybe both our loss, but he wasn't working in MY shop looking like that.

Mark
Former

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM

I agree, when they're that far out in their appearance IMO they have to be pretty whacked out in the head too, not the kind of guy you want working for you. The link I sent Chuckster is an all-time classic. It's a guy in his 20's, got arrested and in his mugshot he has as big a letters as would fit: ____ YOU tattooed across his forehead. He's got to have a real future in maybe banking, plus make a name for himself even at the town dump scales. Link sent if requested.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM

We had a " patron" that had all the clown markings tattoo'd on his face. Said he was at home, high on meth (I think that's what he said), and sat in the bathroom looking in the mirror and did all the art work.

How about " your name" tattoo'd on your other head?

Train Horns:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 AM

Yep, I've seen more than one with the clown eyes and all. IMO Lockup is a must-see program just for some of the "artwork".

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM

My Photos: (1)
As soon as I invent the DIY Home tattoo removal kit my first big check will be used as investment in a discount tat parlor.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in