MaxxForce engine not real popular - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil G.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MaxxForce engine not real popular

Not trying to start a brand-bashing post but I came across a LOT of negative info regarding IH (Navistar)'s new heavy truck engine. I'd read they'd come out with one to compete with the big Cummins and Detroits but I just read an article that they are trying to regain a segment of the market that they'd lost for a few years now due to problems with the MaxxForce engines. Lots of interesting info if a person Googles "MaxxForce engine problems".
Navistar Hit With $30.8 Million Judgment in ProStar/MaxxForce Lawsuit - TopNews - Equipment - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by Dick Cutting; 02-06-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Just fixed for you the letter f was not a capital F Googles "Maxxforce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 PM

My Photos: (2)
Yes... a friend of mine works at an IH dealer. Apparently it has not been pretty. IH really struggled when the last round of emission "improvements" went into effect. He said on the platforms that were only available with an IH engine, it was a disaster. When they started offering Cummins options, the orders were 100% spec'd with the Cummins engine. Something about a $3K truck payment and no truck to drive for weeks on end didn't sit well with customers.

Plant Closing, Medium-Duty Truck Engine Series Discontinued | Navistar | American Machinist
LMJD likes this.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I was really surprised when I came across all the bad articles. One said IH was retailing their MaxxForce powered trucks $20,000 less to buyers versus the same IH truck with a Cummins. But as you said, if it's sitting in the shop half the time, the $20,000 loses its luster real quick. Other than state and government agencies I hardly ever see any class 8 IH trucks in my part of the country anyway. Mostly the good old long nose Peterbilts and Kenworths and to a lesser extent Macks. Where I worked we babysat a Mack semi tractor and it gave all new meaning to the word crude, but I don't think we did anything whatsoever to it for the 12+ years I was around it other than minor routine maintenance. It had a Mack engine and ran like a top.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Where I worked we babysat a Mack semi tractor and it gave all new meaning to the word crude, but I don't think we did anything whatsoever to it for the 12+ years I was around it other than minor routine maintenance. It had a Mack engine and ran like a top.
That's why I'm stuck in 2007, I just can't take the chance on the newer emission engines. I need my truck to work and I don't need any repair bills north of $10K unless it has served a useful life first then maybe needs an engine.

Somehow the industry has successfully lowered the bar far enough that people are content to accept when an 1800 rad fails at 100K miles or bad fuel sets them back 14K. That would have ruined a manufacturer 15 years ago. I guess all the shiny objects and fun toys in the cab are a fair trade off to reliability for many. So many of these trucks are sold for shopping, pulling the boat to the lake, commuting (basically a job a 1/2 ton or SUV could do), that this group doesn't keep them long enough to give a flying... if they last long term without major repairs. It's just a monthly payment for 3-5 years then a new one ends up in the driveway.

I would love to see some real stats that show what % of the light diesel market has gone back to gas JUST FOR commercial customers where the truck has to deliver a bottom line.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if 2007's safe either. My wife bought a 2007 1/2 ton gas engine daily driver and the fuel pump failed 1/2 way back from Billings, MT (big tow bill). The gas engine mechanic said that's a common failure with all electronic injected gas engines with the tank mounted pumps. Yet the old style gas engine block-mounted fuel transfer pump on my '91 diesel is still ticking after all these years. I remember years ago when the big diesels had just gone all electronic I was going through Rock Springs and a guy on the CB asked if anyone knew anything about the fly-by-wire throttles. He was broke down (idle only) a few hundred yards from the truck stop with a 60 series Detroit Diesel. Naturally it was on a Sunday afternoon.

Yeah, but when they're working right---WOW. If you're bored with a snow-bound afternoon, check this out. It does everything but dance.
Focus On...Driving the New Volvo VNL [Video] - Videos - Equipment - TruckingInfo.com

Last edited by LMJD; 02-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Well... that truck would be a dream to drive.... as long as your a company driver and have an address that's not yours that the bills go to. I guess time will tell to see if the cost per mile stays in check as the newer technology ages. The other factor is IF mileage starts hitting double digits with the new technology, that certainly will leave room for higher maintenance costs. But so far, the few guys that I've talked to say the emissions stuff is killing the mileage and their old mechanical trucks were doing better.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I guess the DPF systems drive operators crazy. A friend drives a belly-dump for the county and said if you don't keep the truck pulling hard the engine will suddenly go to idle for up to 20 minutes and you sit along side the road until the system does its thing.
Another friend does extra heavy hauling in a new Kenworth, 3 axle with a dropdown 4th on the tractor, 4 axle semi trailer and 4 axle pup behind the semi trailer---something like 120-140,000 gross. You can almost legally haul any weight you want in WY if you keep shoving axles under it. He said that baby has so much power it only needs a 9 speed trans and doesn't even have a pyrometer. He said if the EGT gets too high the electronics automatically de-rate the horsepower so the temp goes down. You start out using the clutch but then it has a paddle shift on the steering wheel for the rest of the shifting. Must be basically like splitting the high range gears with the button on a 13 speed Roadranger. Magic stuff!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Regarding the regen issues, my wife drove school but up until last year, now she drive city bus.

Her last school bus was a 2012 a freight shaker in it. Twice, she ended up on the side of the road with a load of kids while it regened. I'm not against clean air but man, they have to figure out something better than the current strategy, it just doesn't work and isn't safe in the real world.

Paddle shifting.. very cool! So the splitter switch was moved from the stick to the steering wheel but it sounds like you don't even have to move the stick to shift it. So basically it's a manually selected automatic I guess, where as the 13 speed was still a manual shift with an electric splitter, right?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

The 13 speeds were actually a fully manual but you could skip shift even loaded. I used to start out in 2nd (Lo range), go directly to 5th(Lo range) then you lifted the air-powered range shift knob on the gear shift lever and as you came across from 5th to 1st when the shift lever hit neutral a fork would shift the range section of the trans to Hi range. Then there was a red button on the shift lever allowing you to split all 5 Hi range gears progressively from low to high. Like 5 lo to 5 hi, then 6 lo to 6 hi and so on. You could downshift progressively the same way. All the splitter and range shifts were done by air powered pistons and forks in the rear section of the transmission. Once you got the hang of them they were smoother and easier to shift gears and ranges without using the clutch other than starting off. Definitely a case where a picture is worth more than my miserable 1000 words:
Eaton Fuller 13 Speed Shift Pattern - 4300764

Probably my friend's KW is similar in the sense that it's all air-shifted with the paddle rather than just range and splitter.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Got it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in