New member introduction - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member introduction

Hello forum members. Looks like a great forum. My name is Bill Johnson and I live in Tonkawa, Okla. My wife & I are retired and are looking forward to selling our home & contents and living the full-time RV life. That is why I purchased a tow vehicle. I own a late 1999 F-350 7.3L XLT auto trans 4:10 axle ratio LB DRW with 125,000 miles on the odometer. Just purchased a 7.3L Ford OEM remanufactured engine long block and came to this forum seeking advice on engine break-in procedures. I use it primarily to tow a 40' 5th wheel trailer. I've owned the truck for 2 years and even with the low mileage I am replacing the engine after a couple Blackstone oil analysis' & diagnostics indicating alot of metal in the oil and low compression in 2 cylinders. It has a lot of blowby and smokes alot at cold start (a lady thought my truck was on fire when I started it at our local Walmart). It is also using a quart of oil every 250 miles. Well, anyway I really like the truck and the rest of the truck is in really good shape. So, I have decided to take the plunge and replace the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! There are people on this forum who really know these trucks. I'm sure they will be around in a little while to give you some good advice.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Don. Sounds like your truck is very similar to mine. I have done a lot of research on the web over the last several years & always learn from others experience and knowledge. I purchased my truck after about 6-months of research & shopping for one I could afford. Seems like the 7.3L has a cult following and a lot of owners who love their vehicles. I'm excited about getting the Ford OEM remanufactured engine installed next week. Got the shipping confirmation today and scheduled the install for next week at the shop. I found a lot of information on this forum about break-in procedures, which is my current concern. I noticed you show a California location and I am curious about how your truck meets the environmental inspection standards. In Okla. we don't have to submit to inspections. I've heard California has pretty strict veh. inspection standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boger View Post
Thanks for the welcome Don. Sounds like your truck is very similar to mine. I have done a lot of research on the web over the last several years & always learn from others experience and knowledge. I purchased my truck after about 6-months of research & shopping for one I could afford. Seems like the 7.3L has a cult following and a lot of owners who love their vehicles. I'm excited about getting the Ford OEM remanufactured engine installed next week. Got the shipping confirmation today and scheduled the install for next week at the shop. I found a lot of information on this forum about break-in procedures, which is my current concern. I noticed you show a California location and I am curious about how your truck meets the environmental inspection standards. In Okla. we don't have to submit to inspections. I've heard California has pretty strict veh. inspection standards.
When I bought the truck, there were no smog checks required, because there were no smog requirements on diesel vehicles the year it was manufactured. But a few years later, California changed the law. Now I have to take it for smog check every two years. The smog check consists of checking for any codes, and checking to see that no modifications have been made. In California, the truck must be kept completely stock. Any modifications are illegal. Also, the truck must not be rolling coal.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Perfect, thanks for the information.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:19 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As long as there is a C.A.R.B. Compliance label on the radiator support, you can modify. I believe Banks helped them create the standards and sells compliant products.

If your truck is registered in another state, it does not have to meet Ca. Emissions while your visiting.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM

There are a few CARB compliant products that are legal in California. It requires extensive testing to show that the product does not increase pollution. The extensive testing is very expensive; so there is a very short list of products that are legal in California. Those products are extremely expensive, because the manufacturer must recover the cost of the expensive tests. Therefore, usually it is not worth the cost for Californians to buy those extremely expensive products, and they leave their trucks stock.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Boger

Welcome to the forum. I envy you on your reduce accumulation of stuff and travel life retirement plans. I would love that lifestyle but I am married to a woman that thinks roughing it is slow room service or being 5 miles away from Grandkids.

Break in? Well after an engine R&R a shake down period just to find those little new hook up Gremlins or failure to hook up things or adjust items that always seem to happen. I have had two personal Powerstrokes, still have my 2002, and I had a couple of Company trucks. Our fleet for construction projects we would just buy a new truck and put it to work hauling Gooseneck Tool Trailers nationwide immediately, hard use, many drivers, tough service. The trucks held up well and were well maintained on return to shop trips, tough service and engine break in just didn't seem to matter in a negative sense. I think that is pretty typical for these trucks in general, most are work horses used by companies not by persnickety owners like me. I drove my last new truck approx. 500 miles of mixed speed driving then did whatever I wanted with it. It has 226k on it now. Necessary, probably not and I really doubt that the rings break in under 10k anyway. Like I wrote, persnickety.

In the free State of Alabama we dont have inspections, we are focused on the important things, good football.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As long as there is a C.A.R.B. Compliance label on the radiator support, you can modify. I believe Banks helped them create the standards and sells compliant products.

If your truck is registered in another state, it does not have to meet Ca. Emissions while your visiting.
Good to know if I should travel into California. Thanks for the information.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
There are a few CARB compliant products that are legal in California. It requires extensive testing to show that the product does not increase pollution. The extensive testing is very expensive; so there is a very short list of products that are legal in California. Those products are extremely expensive, because the manufacturer must recover the cost of the expensive tests. Therefore, usually it is not worth the cost for Californians to buy those extremely expensive products, and they leave their trucks stock.
My truck is stock. If I should decide to make California one of my camping destinations I would not want to violate the Ca. vehicle compliance regulations. I know a lot of environmental friendly products have been adopted for the later model HD trucks that are not part of my '99 F-350 7.3L so, I wasn't sure if my truck would be legal in Ca.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I envy you on your reduce accumulation of stuff and travel life retirement plans. I would love that lifestyle but I am married to a woman that thinks roughing it is slow room service or being 5 miles away from Grandkids.

Break in? Well after an engine R&R a shake down period just to find those little new hook up Gremlins or failure to hook up things or adjust items that always seem to happen. I have had two personal Powerstrokes, still have my 2002, and I had a couple of Company trucks. Our fleet for construction projects we would just buy a new truck and put it to work hauling Gooseneck Tool Trailers nationwide immediately, hard use, many drivers, tough service. The trucks held up well and were well maintained on return to shop trips, tough service and engine break in just didn't seem to matter in a negative sense. I think that is pretty typical for these trucks in general, most are work horses used by companies not by persnickety owners like me. I drove my last new truck approx. 500 miles of mixed speed driving then did whatever I wanted with it. It has 226k on it now. Necessary, probably not and I really doubt that the rings break in under 10k anyway. Like I wrote, persnickety.

In the free State of Alabama we dont have inspections, we are focused on the important things, good football.
Thanks for the welcome. My wife is a lot like yours. It took me a year and a lot of convincing to get my wife on board to consider full-time RV life. Then I bought the truck 2-years ago and started the search for the RV. She got involved in the decision about what kind of RV we would live in and seemed to enjoy it, she loves shopping. I retired last August. We found & purchased the 5th wheel trailer (2015 Forest River Sandpiper 366FL 40í 4 slides) last Oct. We have done 2 one-month camping adventures since then and she really seems to like it. Grandkids came to visit for a week when we were at Galveston, Texas and Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma. She is her 88-year-old motherís primary support person and is committed to staying in our home and just vacation camping as long as her mother is living. So, we will keep practicing on vacation trips and hopefully will be prepared and experienced when the F-T RV adventure begins.

I like you am a bit persnickety about the truck. Even if not necessary, everything Iíve read so far agrees with what you wrote, donít baby it but drive sensibly at varying speeds the first 500 miles, change the oil, then drive it like you want to. Of course, I will also heed the advice that comes with the engine, so I donít void the warranty.

Oklahoma like Alabama does not have veh. Inspections and we love football too. As a graduate of Okla. St. University (OSU) I was pleasantly surprised when they beat Texas last night. Alabamaís looking good at 8-0.

Cheers,
Bill
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boger View Post
My truck is stock. If I should decide to make California one of my camping destinations I would not want to violate the Ca. vehicle compliance regulations. I know a lot of environmental friendly products have been adopted for the later model HD trucks that are not part of my '99 F-350 7.3L so, I wasn't sure if my truck would be legal in Ca.
You can take a vehicle that is registered in another state into California without having to pass an inspection. It's only if your permanent residence is California that you would have to register the vehicle in California and pass a smog inspection. It's probably a good idea not to roll coal too much while you are here.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Well, i'm not rolling coal but serious blowby and bluish/white smoke from exhaust & oil filler tube yesterday. The good news is the truck is in the shop today for a Ford OEM 7.3L remanufactured long block engine install. I think that should fix the problem. So, I will put Ca. back on my places to visit wish list. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0535.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	125850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0538.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	125852  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Yep, Chuck, years back when I bought my ATS turbo kit it stated it was CARB compliant. So it would appear CA registered and smog checks it would be CA legal if I lived there?

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in