New Motorcoach - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Motorcoach

Man, I have been wanting to talk about it over here with my friends. I finally pulled the plug and bought a Winnebago Destination, Allison 6 speed and a Cummins ISB. It is 40 feet long and is a pusher. My family and I are really enjoying it. So far it is getting between 10-11 mpg. I have been a little "white knuckled" driving it but I am settling in. Our first big trip is planned in August when we go up to Annapolis to the Naval Academy to see our son after plebe summer. We really did not want to buy just yet but with the price of diesel fuel and the economy, the pricing was just to enticing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RIGHT ON!!! Can you post some pictures of it so I (we) can drool?

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM

My Photos: (2)
Congrats on the new coach. You will enjoy it - even as hard as it is to open up the wallet and fill 'er up. The coach in my sig has been with me since 1996 and I've been to a lot of interesting places. I even pulled my '03 F350 behind it until I traded on the '08. I just haven't installed a base plate on it yet but I should soon. That's why I ordered the manual transfer case.

My coach has a mechanically injected 6CTA Cummins 8.3L with an Allison MD-3060 6 speed auto. The Allison has performed flawlessly as well as the engine. They definitely work well together. Mine is the 300 HP version. With it, I get about 9 MPG pulling the truck. GVWR for the combo is about 35k lbs.

Hope you put up some pics as I would like to see your coach. Driving it will become second nature. Just keep in mind you are 102" wide so you are using almost the full width of the lane plus you are 40' long. A little practice is all it takes. Getting used to full air brakes (if you haven't driven a rig with them) will come as well.

Robert

2008 F350 XLT CC DRW 4x4, 6.4, Auto, 4.10, Manual Transfer case, Supplemental Heat, Wide Track Front Axle, Sirius.
1996 Newmar Dutchstar, 8.3L Cummins 6CTA, MD3060 Allison

** SOLD with 80,300 miles ** 2003.25 (Feb. 14, 2003 build) F350 Crew Cab 4x4 XLT, 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I will get up some pictures. I took it on two "shake down" camp outs and found a few little bugs, so it is in now getting those taken care of. I am heading down to Palm Beach to the Breakers for a meeting and will not get back until Sunday, so I will probably not be able to pick it up until Monday. I had to do some stump grinding to get my situation ready to get it situatated at the house. In the mean time here is a link to what it looks like. Mine however is beige. 2008 Winnebago Destination. BTW mine is on the Freightliner XC chassis.

Last edited by KINGTUT; 04-29-2008 at 07:59 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM

My Photos: (0)
Enjoy your coach. I have a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 ft. 330 Cummins with the Allison 6 speed. Your getting pretty good fuel mileage if your getting above 10. I usually average about 8.4. Driving 65-70mph. However I travel 4 western states and cross many mtn pass's. I use mine for work as a mobile showroom.

97 250 HD 4x4 Crew Cab, SB, Superchip,Auto, 4.10, Shell, Winter Toy Hauler, Don't drive faster then your Angels can fly!!! 2016 F350 SD 4X4 Crew Cab Dually Long Bed
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltax View Post
Enjoy your coach. I have a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 ft. 330 Cummins with the Allison 6 speed. Your getting pretty good fuel mileage if your getting above 10. I usually average about 8.4. Driving 65-70mph. However I travel 4 western states and cross many mtn pass's. I use mine for work as a mobile showroom.
I am probably guilty of "babying" mine a bit, but they do say the new 6.7 is getting a bit better fuel mileage. I have not towed a toad yet, but I did get my dolly put together since my toad can not be towed 4 down. It is a light Honda Accord. I really like the 660 ft. lbs. of torque. I have not been over 65 in it except once going down a hill and I got a little anal tightness and slowed down. I really like the air brakes and have adjusted to them well, but on the interstate I get a little, well, you could not draw a string out when some trucks blow by me at 80 mph.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM

My Photos: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
I will get up some pictures. I took it on two "shake down" camp outs and found a few little bugs, so it is in now getting those taken care of. I am heading down to Palm Beach to the Breakers for a meeting and will not get back until Sunday, so I will probably not be able to pick it up until Monday. I had to do some stump grinding to get my situation ready to get it situatated at the house. In the mean time here is a link to what it looks like. Mine however is beige. 2008 Winnebago Destination. BTW mine is on the Freightliner XC chassis.
Sound like a great ride and better mileage than my dually!

Darn Tut, I'm leaving town tomorrow (Wed) or else I'd meet you at the Breakers for lunch this week! I have to chaperon 50 NJROTC cadets for a 4 day trip to Kingsbay Sub base and then back down to Mayport Naval base for the end of the year class trip.

BTW, my son flys out to Annapolis May 31st for Naval Academy Summer Seminar (NASS) for High School Juniors and I pick him up June 6 for the ending ceremony, any chance you'll be around there then?

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White

Last edited by Super Duty John; 04-29-2008 at 08:39 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

SCHWEET ride, Tom.
That's the only way to take to the road and keep everybody comfortable and happy.
Enjoy!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty John View Post
Sound like a great ride and better mileage than my dually!

Darn Tut, I'm leaving town tomorrow (Wed) or else I'd meet you at the Breakers for lunch this week! I have to chaperon 50 NJROTC cadets for a 4 day trip to Kingsbay Sub base and then back down to Mayport Naval base for the end of the year class trip.

BTW, my son flys out to Annapolis May 31st for Naval Academy Summer Seminar (NASS) for High School Juniors and I pick him up June 6 for the ending ceremony, any chance you'll be around there then?
Dang, I have 6 hours dead time both Friday and Saturday, guess I will "settle" for a nice massage at the Breakers. Too bad, I would like to get together and give you some "updates" on the "process". The permit to report packages are going to be two weeks late. "Printing delay"........No we will not be around that early in June. We leave June 30th for him to report July 2nd for Induction Day.

Last edited by KINGTUT; 04-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
SCHWEET ride, Tom.
That's the only way to take to the road and keep everybody comfortable and happy.
Enjoy!
Thanks GC, that was a BIG deal for the wife, being able to pee and eat without stopping, and the kids can play video games on the roll.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 AM

Don't laugh but

Quote:
Thanks GC, that was a BIG deal for the wife, being able to pee and eat without stopping, and the kids can play video games on the roll.

I have several older friends that got RV's because they need to stop and pee often and don't like public facilities.

BTW: How much is a fillup $500?

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Banned

Costs my buddy $1,200 to fill up his KW...

At this point in our lives, who gives a dam*n what it costs..
You can't put a dollar figure on a good time.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 AM

By todays prices the FORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
Costs my buddy $1,200 to fill up his KW...

At this point in our lives, who gives a dam*n what it costs..
You can't put a dollar figure on a good time.
Boat would be $2500 for a fill up. Fun I guess but that's a darn expensive piece of fish!

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM

My Photos: (55)
Quote:
Dang, I have 6 hours dead time both Friday and Saturday, guess I will "settle" for a nice massage at the Breakers. Too bad, I would like to get together and give you some "updates" on the "process". The permit to report packages are going to be two weeks late. "Printing delay"........No we will not be around that early in June. We leave June 30th for him to report July 2nd for Induction Day.
Tom I re-read your first post and I see that you're getting a Little less in the mileage department with the RV, a tad!

It's ironic that we're crossing paths this summer so much! I hope we end up meeting you at the Naval Academy next year.

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
So far it is getting between 10-11 mpg.
Even with the price of diesel, I think you're still money ahead. I remember when most all of them were powered by 454's, 460's and big block Dodges, 4-5MPG---plus not enough power, constantly fighting overheating problems, etc.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in