Nissan Cummins? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

2Likes
  • 2 Post By bankstruck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nissan Cummins?

A brand new 1/2 ton Nissan pickup pulled up next to me yesterday and it had a Cummins Diesel emblem on the front fender just like the Dodges. Anybody heard anything about that? It was slightly recessed into the fender so some guy didn't plaster it on there for kicks. Think I read there's a Cummins option in some Jeeps too this year.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM

My Photos: (0)
Yes Nissan Titan has a V8 cummins option. It is a pretty decent looking truck, I did some investigating but was not real impressed by its stats.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I've got two of the latest Car & Drivers that I haven't had time to look at, maybe there's a review on them with the Cummins. I've always thought they were a poor seller compared to the other "big" four only because of the butt-ugly out of date body styling. My ex-cousin-in-law has one (V8 gas engine) and he pulls an RV all over the western states and he likes his real well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:30 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
It has been out a couple of years but I haven't seen them on the road in any great numbers. In fact, I have only seen one. But I also have not seen any of the Dodge 1500 or the Chevy Colorados with their light duty diesel either. Makes you wonder if that segment is not going to do as well with sales as hoped... and the upcoming F150 diesel prospects?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I forgot about the smaller Dodge diesels, I haven't seen one either. I remember after the full sized 1/2 ton Tundras came out Toyota showed a 3/4 or 1 ton dually diesel (Iveco engine?) at the Detroit Auto Show but it never happened because shortly after that diesel fuel went up to about $5.00/gal.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM

I I live in Georgia and travel all over the SE. I have seen a good number of the Cummins Titans in my area, That said I haven't seen one pull anything heavier than a utility trailer. Ford and Dodge are king of towing in my area. I have seen a couple of dodges 1500 eco diesels, in fact my father in law has one and really likes it but plans on dumping it as soon as the powerstroke f-150 comes out. I saw my first duramax Colorado yesterday but I didnt have time to ask the guy how he liked it.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Just looked on the Nissan site, it's a 5.0 liter V8, 310 HP and 555 Ft/lbs torque. And to me, the front ends finally look decent.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:12 PM

I own one, a 2016 TitanXD Pro4x. Bottom line, if you want to tow big, pick something else. Otherwise it's a stouter truck with a better ride and performs about the same as my Banks Stinger Plus enhanced 99.5 PS. Torque management controls and emissions equipment choke down the 310HP and 555 factory torque specs and would probably outrun my Banks Truck if all that crap could be neutralized. The 6 sp Aisin is strong, truck is very quiet and rides like a dream over the PS. Am keeping the PS because I appreciate its strengths and weaknesses (had to do a UVCH repair in back of the visitor's center in Dawson City, YK!--hat tip to klhansen from a few years ago). Had I bought a crew cab back in 2000, very likely would not have bought the XD.

Although Nissan denies exhaust braking, I have enough experience with my Banks Brake to know the XD is doing something similar, perhaps with the turbo setup. Works about as good as the BB that cost me $2300 and can bring the truck and trailer to nearly a dead stop off from 75mph off an Interstate downhill off ramp without touching the brake.

Regens slam MPG for about 10-15 miles every so often. DEF is a nuisance and while I had the PS on a 12,000 mi road trip to AK in 2015, wouldn't want to take the XD because I would have to carry 6 jugs of DEF as a backup--as high as $28/jug if you can find it along the route we took along with the space it takes up-- but you can doggone nearly breathe that exhaust with no effects! As long as the electronics don't screw up, it's a keeper for me.
LMJD and ArcticDriver like this.

Feb '99 PS F250 4wd XLT Extended Cab LB, Banks Stinger Plus, Banksbrake with Smartlock, Pillar EGT, Trans Temp, Boost gauges, ScanGauge II, Repl 4R100 @ 50K. Added 6.0 26 Row Trans cooler @94K; as of 9/12/2012 leaking TC seal repaired by John Wood Holtville, Ca.; John Wood Towmaster Billet TC; John Wood Coast, Overdrive Clutches & HD pump body. Yellow/blue Bilsteins @ 100K miles and this truck is still a cool runner
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Am keeping the PS because I appreciate its strengths and weaknesses (had to do a UVCH repair in back of the visitor's center in Dawson City, YK!--hat tip to klhansen
That's really fun to do any repairs in the YK. In the 99.5 in 2008 went up to AK, filled up with GAS just outside of Whitehorse, drove 125 miles to Carmack, after 50 - 70 miles, clickity bang bang, returned to Whitehorse, only thing that saved the engine was that I poured 3 gallons of ATF in. After 15,000 miles when I got home, would not start, guess what, needed both sides UVCH. Going from AZ to CA, had to stop at a check point, truck would not start for 20 minutes until it cooled off, a mile of vehicles lined up behind me, had to be the UVCH. Was pulling a 30 ft 5er.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM

My neighbor drives a Titan w/Cummins as a work truck. He says the 4 they got at his company have not been great. Have had some emissions issues with check eng lights. He says they run good but the MPG is the same as they get with F150 with 4.6 V8 that they also have. He says they rarely top 15 MPG on a tank and that is for tanks where does a highway drive. His truck is not loaded heavy with gear or a topper either.

Bankstruck, what does your do for MPG?

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
My neighbor drives a Titan w/Cummins as a work truck. He says the 4 they got at his company have not been great. Have had some emissions issues with check eng lights. He says they run good but the MPG is the same as they get with F150 with 4.6 V8 that they also have. He says they rarely top 15 MPG on a tank and that is for tanks where does a highway drive. His truck is not loaded heavy with gear or a topper either.

Bankstruck, what does your do for MPG?
It's not an easy answer.

On a recent trip to Bakersfield, CA from AZ high country (nearly 400 mi) I got 19 mpg. There was some brisk driving in there- 75 mph and sometimes higher, and even though it's generally a downhill ride to CA, you still encounter winds, subtantial Interstate grades. Continuing on to Folsom area got about 20.1 with maybe +/- 300 ft elevation change along the entire way. On the return trip to AZ got about 17.8 over 800 miles. That was varied terrain from 188 ft elevation in CA to 5500 ft in AZ, with moderate headwinds nearly all the way. On a recent trip from High Country in AZ to Salmon, ID and back towing a 3500lb Casita travel trailer, averaged 15 mpg for a 2000+ mi trip. The best I've ever gotten is 23.4 mpg on a 300 mile run from Folsom area to Bakersfield 99% +/- 200 ft above sea level, so a fairly level ride (different route than the other one). That is still stored in the computer.

I recently let the mileage run through 3 full tanks of fuel and averaged 18.8. The difference between indicated mpg on the truck and hand calculations is about .1 -,2 mpg with the hand calculation yielding the better result.

Now I have a Leer camper shell on it with Thule rack and fairing. Also have a kayak up there. Shortly will be running with that setup pulling the same trailer over the same 800 mi route to CA. I think I'm going to take a hit on mpg. We'll see.

I have also had 2 service electronic throttle warnings 13,000 mi apart and 6 codes. The electronic throttle warnings cleared with no code stored in the computer. 5 of the six codes were thrown last week and check engine light came on. Over 3 days of restarting before I could get it into service, 2 codes cleared leaving no trace in the computer. On that 3rd day check engine light went off but 4 codes remained stored, ECU was reflashed and so far no more issues. The codes and warnings coming and going is not all that uncommon with these trucks, especially the diesels. Growing pains.

Feb '99 PS F250 4wd XLT Extended Cab LB, Banks Stinger Plus, Banksbrake with Smartlock, Pillar EGT, Trans Temp, Boost gauges, ScanGauge II, Repl 4R100 @ 50K. Added 6.0 26 Row Trans cooler @94K; as of 9/12/2012 leaking TC seal repaired by John Wood Holtville, Ca.; John Wood Towmaster Billet TC; John Wood Coast, Overdrive Clutches & HD pump body. Yellow/blue Bilsteins @ 100K miles and this truck is still a cool runner
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

One thing to consider is the MPG that pickup gas engines get nowadays. I remember years ago the best to expect was 14-15 MPG, now it's much better. I bought a late model Tundra 4WD for a DD, it only weighs 500lbs. less than my '91 F250 diesel and with 381 HP it gets 19-20MPG strictly highway driving. According to Car & Driver, all the other 1/2 ton gas engines are doing the same. And with variable valve timing and other trick stuff they've got low end torque for towing like the older diesels.
Don't know about the diesels, but as far as trouble codes, the first thing a salesman mentioned was if you don't turn the gas cap until it clicks after fueling, you can get a "check engine" light. Maybe a lot of company drivers don't know this.

Last edited by LMJD; 07-24-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM

I wonder if my neighbor' trucks or any in that groups have had any reflashes? I know he says they have had the CEL on and off with no difference in performance. Many company trucks rarely see a dealer for something that doesn't make them quit and get towed as they make no money when they aren't moving.

The diesels don't do evaporative leak test on tank so they don't get CEL for fuel cap. I don't know of any brand that hasn't gone to specific message for gas cap for gasoline models. They got kicked in the butt on surveys so they tend to run a quickie leak test the first opportunity after fuel level increases. The ECM/PCM gets fuel level info info as some diagnostics are canceled for low or high fuel level. SInce they know level change the tank can pressurized or vacuumed depending on which way that mfr does it and if the pressure increases or vacuum decreases even a tiny amount the cap is on. If the quick test after fueling fails the message or warning light is switched on and the tank leak test is canceled for a several key cycles.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in