Pentagon too broke to buy a new fax machine - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (32)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pentagon too broke to buy a new fax machine

Either that, or they just don't want to bother with FOIA requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://rt.com/usa/pentagon-fax-machine-muckrock-935/

The United States went ahead with major spending cuts earlier this year, slicing around $85 billion off the federal budget. But while most government offices remain afloat, a fax machine on the fritz may be too costly for the Pentagon to fix.

Investigative journalists working for the website Muckrock.com have identified one side-effect of the sequester that is only now starting to cause concerns. A facsimile machine at Defense Department headquarters has reportedly been out of commission for almost three weeks now and is hindering the ability for reporters to file Freedom of Information Act requests with the military.

“Starting two weeks ago, requests faxed to the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) started coming back as undeliverable. After several subsequent attempts and troubleshooting on our end, MuckRock reached out to the OSD. Sure enough, their fax machine is down,” journalist Shawn Musgrave wrote on the site last week.

What’s more, though, is that Musgrave reported that the fax machine in question — the only one at the Pentagon handling FOIA requests, according to him — may remain out-of-service for another month, if not more.

When Musgrave pressed the Pentagon to deliver an estimated date when the machine might be back up and running, Defense Department officials said that, should no replacement be immediately available, the matter must wait until the start of the new fiscal year.

“We would that it is back up sometime in October, but could extend into the beginning of November,” Aaron Graves of the OSD replied to Muckrock.

“It bears repeating,” Musgrave after that exchange. “The office that oversees the most powerful military in history (not to mention the best-funded) is unable to project when its single fax machine will once again be operational

Meanwhile, the US military is budgeted to spend over one trillion dollars in FY2012, and its in-progress F-35 fighter jet program — the most expensive weapons system ever ordered — could come at a price-tag that exceeds even that when all is said and done.

Of course, that isn’t to say that a pesky fax problem isn’t the only item at hand causing concerns in Washington. A study released last week by Goldman Sachs suggested that as many as 100,000 federal jobs could disappear due to budget cuts during the next year.

"[M]any federal agencies have employed temporary strategies to adjust to sequestration this year, such as employee furloughs and deferral of maintenance and training, with the hope that sequestration would ultimately be reversed,” the report reads in part. “If sequestration continues, more permanent adjustments will become necessary and agencies may be more willing to undertake them if Congress declines once again to reverse the cuts."

In the meantime, journalists might want to go about sending their FOIA requests the old fashioned way, or else resort to what Musgrave called “a clunky online request portal that doesn't play nice with other systems

And if that doesn’t work, someone might want to tell the Pentagon that the Best Buy down the road can have a brand-new Panasonic laser fax/copier in stock within days for only around $150.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)
I recall yrs ago.."trickle down economics". Maybe call this one "trickle down sequestration." I like last para. best. lol!

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 AM

My Photos: (0)
Just think of all the fax machines the Pentagon coul buy if Our Dear Leader would forgo just one game of golf!

1999.5 F350 Dually X-Cab.
DP Tuner 80 hp econo burn.
Franz bypass filter.
Amber light bar rear.
LED flashing lights front.
Ford Green Lable rebuilt motor.
Rebuilt transmission.
Pushing 400,000 miles and running strong!
I love this truck.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Just plug the darn thing back in, hit the ON button, quit playing games. Maybe forego buying just one toilet seat that cost's an extrodiinary amount of money.

99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion, 183K miles Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 2WD 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U, 79K on the engine. 129K body.

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast. One Flash and it's gone forever.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Just plug the darn thing back in, hit the ON button, quit playing games. Maybe forego buying just one toilet seat that cost's an extrodiinary amount of money.
But you don't understand. Since it will be an updated model,
1) engineering study to see if it fits in the same spot

2) allocation of funds for remodel to demolish/ rebuild counter an additional 4 inches

3) which of course means an environmental impact report

Are you dying of laughter yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

That's right- that 4 inches would infringe on the territory of the yellow bellied tax sucker. Of course, that's hardly an endangered species.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE

Last edited by RT; 09-21-2013 at 09:04 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM

My Photos: (35)
Is the Pentagon in the 21st Century? Do they have computers or are they still working with carrier pigeons?
It they have the computers then why a fax machine, I mean I have a fax program on my computer and it runs in the background ... if there is a fax that I do not Wish to Print then I delete the thing.... and do not waste the paper...

Or is the idea of using the computer fax program just to simple for them to get their minds around?

2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar, 1.5"spacers from old Correct track OR,140 Lightforce with covers, 5x7 LED's From Truck-lite, extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E, My Photos

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in