Rock Auto - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArcticDriver
  • 2 Post By LMJD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rock Auto

Has anyone else had issues with Rock Auto's customer service or lack thereof?

I ordered a serpentine belt per the ordering criteria on their website. When the part arrived, it was approximately an inch shorter than the belt I removed.

I followed the instructions to return the part but before I could complete the return, they wanted me to pay for the return shipping. This seems wrong since I ordered the part per their instructions and website. Perhaps the manufacturer sent them a faulty part? However, I do not see return shipping as the customer's responsibility since I ordered what was supposed to be the correct part for my truck.

I attempted to reach customer service. They do not have phone customer service available. I then began exchanging courteous and professional email traffic with their online customer service. They responded twice with a 90% pre-formatted response and never once addressed my question to speak with someone over the phone or cover return shipping expenses.

This morning I found a phone number for Rock Auto's corporate headquarters. I called the number and the receptionist was less than helpful and somewhat rudely told me that they do not offer customer service from their corporate headquarters and there is no one there that can help me. I suppose the VP of Customer Relations or the CEO or COO do not care to hear a customer's concerns?

I determined that it is not necessarily worth my time and effort to spend $6-10 to return a $33 part.

I would rather not do business with a company that is unable and unwilling to address a customer's concerns.

I have purchased several parts from Rockauto over the last year. However, based on this incident, I will not be purchasing from them in the future.

2001 Platinum Edition F250 CC 4WD; Swamps Single Shots; GTP38R Turbo; 4 Inch Exhaust; AFE Stage II Intake;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Try (608) 661-1376 or https://www.google.com/amp/s/gethuma...umber/Rockauto

Yes, their customer service and return policy isnít what it used to be. Some cost cutting vs customer service analyst screwed us over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that is the number I called and the "receptionist" was less than helpful. She was actually a detriment to their business.

2001 Platinum Edition F250 CC 4WD; Swamps Single Shots; GTP38R Turbo; 4 Inch Exhaust; AFE Stage II Intake;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have found that over 90% of online retailers require you to ship the items back to them at your cost.

They may then reimburse you for the cost but don't expect it.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 PM

I just had a shipping issue with a part I ordered for my car. I used their recommended procedures to air my complaint. Their customer service was very responsive in responding to my concerns. The part was initially mis delivered to an address in San Antonio, a far cry from where I live in westetn WA. I received the part today which was the projected delivery date all along. I emailed their customer service to advise them the part had arrived and received a response from them within five minutes. No complaints here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Early 99 F250 PSD (XLE4) XLT, Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X2, BTS Trans/TC, 3.73 Limited Slip, Transfer Flow 48 Gal. Mid-Ship Tank
Western WA - Member since August 2001
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:27 AM

AndyJ,

The slightly different serpentine belt lengths has been an issue before and I don’t know if a fool proof method of identifying which one a truck requires has ever been found...except to maybe try Ford Parts.

But even my favorite Ford parts counter, Tousley of WBL, made me eat a $20 shipping charge for a bad part so I fear your experience is just an industry standard at even the best mail order Ford parts.
stumpman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 AM

My Photos: (27)
Right, the only way to order a belt and expect the correct one is to get the part number off your old one so it can be cross referenced.
ArcticDriver and stumpman like this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

This seems to be the consensus, that it is a roll of the dice on which belt fits your truck.

The frustrating thing is that Rock Auto does not seem to acknowledge that. I would even be fine with paying the shipping and not bickering back and forth with them if they seemed to have any type of valid customer service or feedback program. All I got from their Corporate HQ (only number I could find) was that "no one here can help you, I am just the receptionist".

I will probably just eat it so I don't have an extra belt laying around. It just irritates me that this is the kind of service a company provides. I hope more people will be like me and vote with their feet. Rock Auto isn't getting anymore business from me.

I have had pretty good luck with Tousley and Lakeland, so I guess those will be my go to places from here on. I live 30 minutes from the nearest parts store and that is a chain that does not seem to carry much for diesel trucks.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj View Post
Thanks.

This seems to be the consensus, that it is a roll of the dice on which belt fits your truck.

The frustrating thing is that Rock Auto does not seem to acknowledge that. I would even be fine with paying the shipping and not bickering back and forth with them if they seemed to have any type of valid customer service or feedback program. All I got from their Corporate HQ (only number I could find) was that "no one here can help you, I am just the receptionist".

I will probably just eat it so I don't have an extra belt laying around. It just irritates me that this is the kind of service a company provides. I hope more people will be like me and vote with their feet. Rock Auto isn't getting anymore business from me.

I have had pretty good luck with Tousley and Lakeland, so I guess those will be my go to places from here on. I live 30 minutes from the nearest parts store and that is a chain that does not seem to carry much for diesel trucks.
When I have found myself in a pickle with an unccoperative merchant then I return the product and have them credit me what they will and then I open a "Dispute" through my credit card AND I make sure to include in writing my efforts at reaching Customer Service and the merchant response which shows they have been difficult to contact.

Corporate beancounters have decided if they place enough hurdles in a customers way that the customer finally gives up and the company profits. Some of the worst are travel companies like Expedia and Hotwire.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-22-2018 at 05:32 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 PM

My Photos: (27)
If you want an experience purposely designed to put you in the nuthouse, try dealing with Oakley sunglasses regarding a warranty lens replacement. It would take about a 2 page writeup to describe the whole wonderful process.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM

There are two different lengths of serpentine belts, depending upon whether or not you have the cold weather package. If you do a search of these forums, you will find lots of conflicting misinformation about how to tell whether or not you have the cold weather package. In my experience; none of the information that you find will be of any use whatsoever. All I can tell you for sure is that it has nothing at all to do with whether or not you have a plug for the block heater. The difference is the size of the pulley on the alternator, but if the alternator has ever been replaced, it might not have the same size pulley as it originally had.

The only solution that makes any sense to me is to buy the serpentine belt locally; that way if it doesn't fit, then you can exchange it for the other size without having to pay the postage.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in