IT'S ALIVE!!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Had to share with people who can appreciate hard work and LONG hours..Customer brought me an '88 Mazda RX7 with a wasted engine. She bought a used engine. After some inspection, it was obvious to me that the replacement engine had sat outside for quite a while.

The START of my troubles was to measure the clutch disc so she could get a replacement. When I took it apart, the clutch disc was rusted to the flywheel. I don't want to add up the hours I have in this as I think it would amount to less than minimum wage.

EVERY thing that could cause problems...DID. I work Mon-Thurs and don't get home until 6:30 so no work during the week. I started this project on June 28th, and it fought me to the bitter end. SMOKED worse than a chipped PSD for the first 1/2 hour..Anyway, now to clean up and eat some lunch, just might have to have a beer or two.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 PM

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh, my friend, been there, done that. Years ago a cutting horse trainer I ran around with said he'd trade me another cutting saddle if I installed a used engine in their beat-to-hell ranch feed truck, a Toyota (or Mazda) worn out pickup. He had an engine lined up from a guy who dealt with Japanese engines that had to be removed from cars in Japan every so many years and were shipped over here. Got it in, didn't pass USA smog, hunted down the right smog stuff (agony), with correct smog stuff installed something wouldn't clear the bellhousing, so had to change all that (agony), month down the road turned out it had a head gasket leak, the seller (real nice guy) paid for a gskt set, and some of my labor (more AGONY). I was never so glad to see the last of that piece of crap in my life. Still got the saddle, but figure that sucker is worth about $5000 of my blood sweat and tears--- especially TEARS!

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was really wondering if it was going to start. From first turn of the key to running took 2 hours of swapping more parts. I HATE Wankel engines.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 PM

My Photos: (24)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
These stories are all about what makes man, a man. Good on you guys.

2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 AM

My Photos: (0)
You are not alone, been there done that (many times).

I like to call it "building character" within you.

Another way to look at it, the knowledge you have gained in the process.

Yes, I have made many, many mistakes myself, but that doesn't get me to throw in the towel. I keep going and learning, knowing I will always be constantly learning and evolving.

Anyway, take a break, have a couple of beers, you earned them my friend.

Butch Cassidy

2000 F250, 2WD, XLT - A HAULING AND TOWING WORKHORSE.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Another way to look at it, the knowledge you have gained in the process.
The only knowledge I learned which has turned out to be priceless is----DON'T DO MECHANICAL WORK AT HOME FOR FRIENDS! 99% of the time it will somehow turn around and bite you in the butt. Case in point, a friend's ancient tractor quit while he was working up his arena. The IP had the same rubber pump drive as the old 855 cu.in. Cummins and it had sheared, no big deal. I played semi-stupid but another friend jumped at the chance to fix it. Turned out the further he went the further he had to go. He ended up with the engine completely torn down pretty much out in the open, then the wonderful Wyoming winter came and he had that mess to look forward to come springtime.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the family/friend discount can end up costing you $$. I'm just glad that what I earn in the driveway isn't what puts food on the table or a roof over our heads.

There have been many character building cases over the years, this one just hurt the most. Maybe my age has something to do with it. Or the fact that it was 100+ degrees each day I worked on it. Anyway it's GONE from my driveway under its own power.

Train Horns:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah the family/friend discount can end up costing you $$. I'm just glad that what I earn in the driveway isn't what puts food on the table or a roof over our heads.
Understood, you've got a different program and different attitude plus a good diversion from your regular job. Working on trucks and heavy equipment full time for a living in a shop with the best equipment known to man, the last thing I wanted to do was work on friends stuff at home, but I'd get roped into it every once in a while. Worse yet, years ago an old really good friend quit as a mechanic, bought his own truck and leased himself to a huge trucking company out of Seattle. Since he had my phone number, every once in a while in the evening out of the blue I'd get a phone call from a driver who drove for the same company and was broke down on the highway near me and I had to phone a parts house to open up after hours, then go out and get him going again. My good old buddy thought he was doing both me and the driver a favor, maybe him but definitely NOT me.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I have been called at 9:30 PM. Then he got upset because I didn't want to discuss which brand of struts were best for his Toyota corolla.

But on the other hand, 4 days into our road trip, a regular called and when I said I was gone for the next 5 weeks, she said "I'll wait". THAT'S a good feeling.

Train Horns:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

There have been many character building cases over the years, this one just hurt the most. Maybe my age has something to do with it. Or the fact that it was 100+ degrees each day I worked on it. Anyway it's GONE from my driveway under its own power.

Yeah chuckster, have to agree with you on that, family and friends.
Last week got the Granddaughters POS Alero back again, this time with a broken left front spring, junk yard strut $50 fixed that, finely she admitted she hit a curb hard, went to drive it, no brakes, right front brake line sprung a leak, replaced all the brake lines on it last year, 4 days work, got that fixed. Told her, get it out of here, but grampa, why is the exhaust so loud?, found the triangular connection bolts all rust off, new bolts, no way, welded the darn thing. Yes all that in three days, 95 for 2 days, 105* 87% humidity, and I'm almost 85 and just getting over a broken leg from last October. Notified all the Family the shop is closed now forever. my lips.

99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion, 183K miles Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 2WD 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U, 79K on the engine. 129K body.

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast. One Flash and it's gone forever.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM

Bill definitely time to shut the shop down. tell em now its their turn to take care of you, drive you around, fix ANYTHING you need fixed etc. you have earned the right to spend your time on your hobbies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in