Smaaart Car unveiled - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (32)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smaaart Car unveiled

I never did learn to appreciate British humour.

Quote:
World’s first stretch smart car unveiled

Carbonyte UK, creator of the world's first Ferrari limousine has unveiled its latest canny conversion, the world's only stretched smart Car, the Carbonyte Smaaart.

The Carbonyte team, led by MD and ex-McLaren man Chris Wright, took a Mercedes Benz smart Fortwo and stretched its chassis by 2700mm, to create a 17 feet vehicle (5100 mm).

Despite growing to over twice its normal length (2695mm), the Smaaart's new lightweight alloy chassis allows the vehicle to be powered by its original 600cc engine and still comfortably reach motorway speeds of 80mph. In all, the build process took just 300 man-hours over four weeks from the initial chassis cut to the final paintwork.

The prototype Smaaart has been designed as a promotional vehicle, featuring a 20:1 scale fibre-glass replica soft drinks can, complete with ring-pull, which serves as van-like storage space for promotional items.

The Smaaart can be liveried to any client's design choice and hired on a daily basis or bespoke vehicles can be manufactured for individual clients to lease or purchase outright.

Carbonyte is also looking to take the Smaaart into the funeral industry by using the latest electric technology to produce an individual yet environmentally friendly hearse.

! YourAutos.ca, used car comparison shopping site published by Metroland Media Group Ltd., Ontario Canada.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Location: Rockland Co. NY KC2JLJ on 147.165 MHz Design Engineering Machine Shop Owner
My Photos: (0)
Wink Add Benny Hill Theme Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
I never did learn to appreciate British humour.

Not enough taurine in your diet. Clearly this is already headed in the "Red Bull" area, as the paintwork needs only a few decals to be complete.

Critical thinking need not apply. Why ride to a grave in a hearse, when you can style in an 3xTr33m3 hearse?

Your age and wisdom have betrayed you. The question is not whether this is humor; the meta question is how much market share of insanity are you willing to risk and are there any shares left on the ground floor...

Don't just die -- you have to expire in a trendy eco-media-frenzy whip.

Doubleplusgoodthinkwise.

-steve

S.A McChesney
================================================== =======
'72 BMW 2002tii Fprod Race Car --- '82 Bitter SC 5-spd
'01 Volvo V70 T5 5spd, The Official SCCA Volvo Historic Racing Series Pace Car
'95 EB 351 Bronco --- '69 Lotus Europa --- '87 Merkur XR4ti --- '85 Bitter SC 3.9</font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tekonsha Prodigy -- Icom 2100H -- Retrax -- B&W Turnover 5er Kingpin -- Letter to Santa "US Gear" . . .
32' invert 5er Britton/Transport Sys 12K GVWR Toybox,Honda 3kw Gen,Fridge,Micro,5kw Inverter,ColemanPolarCub
__________________________________________________ _______________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM

The upside is all that money saved on gas can be put to use towards a coffin upgrade. Saw one of the "Smart" cars on the highway yesterday and could not believe how close your head is to the rear glass. Maybe they named it a Smart car in homage to the fact that your brains eventually end up all over it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Location: Vancouver Island during the summer - El Centro (Sunbeam Lakes) in winter
Imagine this - - you'r in one - going downhill on a snowy day - then -----

the front brakes seize.

How big a snow ball would you be by the time you reached the bottom?

bbt

2000 F350 XLT Crewcab Longbox SRW. Born 04/2000
in service 05/2000.(BIGBLUTHUNDR)

all mods by John Wood
c/w John Wood ball hat

Monroe gas mags.& Timbrens.
All on Michelin LTX.

It ain't broke, but I'm fixin it 'till IT IS!!

"Wet"7710lbs. pulling 2004 Cougar 295EFS 9900 lbs.
YIKES - my wife can put more clothes in?
Inside - Barry, Margy, & Zeah the wonder dog.

"Too soon ve get olde - und too late shmart".

Ha, Ha, Ha - SoCaps member - go figure?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM

I want to get a bumper sticker for my F-350 that says

"My 1 Ton Gets Better Mileage Than Your Smart Car"

1500 miles on one tank of diesel so far
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekair View Post
Imagine this - - you're in one - going downhill on a snowy day - then -----
the front brakes seize.
How big a snow ball would you be by the time you reached the bottom?
A little smaller than any other car, I suppose.
But how often do brakes seize while under way? I've only heard of brakes seizing while parked.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.

Last edited by drcampbell; 09-12-2008 at 02:53 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM

With the safety standards in cars these days the whole "small car=instantaneous death" thing is overrated. The biggest risk is not hitting something but rather being hit by something else. Good defensive driving is the best safeguard.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Banned

My Photos: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegistroker73L View Post
With the safety standards in cars these days the whole "small car=instantaneous death" thing is overrated. The biggest risk is not hitting something but rather being hit by something else. Good defensive driving is the best safeguard.
Yes on the defensive driving, but a small car is going to be instantly going backwards in a head-on with a larger vehicle, even a SD Ford. Serious injuries or death are likely.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Weight is far from the only variable.
YouTube - Fifth Gear - Renault Modus Vs Volvo 940 - crashtest

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 AM

Totally agree but

Quote:
Take the Renault and do a head on with a F-350. Weight and height of bumper do come into play.

On the other hand take a Kenworth Cement mixer and run 40 MPH head on into a concrete bridge abutment (you will die), Then take the Renault or a modern day Honda accord and do the same....you will get hurt but probably survive.

It is the rate of de-acceleration that kills ya. (not that you don't know this)

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol

|
|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofeditor View Post
It is the rate of de-acceleration that kills ya. (not that you don't know this)
And here I though it was the steering column penetrating my chest. Silly me.

AutoSpeed - Fastest Man on Earth

(this is an unrestrained mannequin tearing through a wooden windbrake wall, in case the shutter speed wasn't fast enough)

Ya, I am somewhat familiar with velocity, acceleration, jerk, snap, crackle, pop and FMVSS208.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

Last edited by drcampbell; 09-13-2008 at 09:29 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Good post.

Quote:
And here I though it was the steering column penetrating my chest. Silly me.

AutoSpeed - Fastest Man on Earth

Ya, I am somewhat familiar with velocity, acceleration, jerk, snap, crackle, pop and FMVSS208.
Obviously I know YOU do know the difference, but I'm betting many many others don't know. Ask a few about the bridge abutment, and I'm betting 9 of 10 will say they want to be in the cement mixer running into the immovable object.

We did an experiment with cladding a concrete wall with cellular concrete 2 feet thick. The cellular concrete allowed the energy to be dissipated over the time of the 2 feet of the cellular concrete. The energy transmitted to the occupants was less than 1/10th. We tried to show this to the owners of the Daytona 500 race way and it was beyond them.

Cellular concrete BTW is cheap, easy to pour and i personally have shot a 50 cal BMG into it from 50 feet and it only penetrated about 8 inches. I 50 cal BMG will easily penetrate one inch of steel and possibly 2 inches with armor hardened tips. It's pretty cool to see the mighty 50 cal be stopped by simple cellular concrete. A 50 cal goes through concrete clock like cardboard.

Elastizell - Products

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in