"Talking" oil filler cap - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LMJD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Talking" oil filler cap

Computerized diesels get more interesting day by day. Just saw where Perkins diesels in construction equipment come with an oil filler cap that tells your smart phone when it's time for an oil change. Also, the latest semi tractors combine a GPS with cruise control which records repeated routes. Then on cruise control, the automated (automatically shifted)manual transmission downshifts or upshifts for max power and fuel economy. MAGIC STUFF!!

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 05-18-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 AM

My Photos: (0)
That stuff is all cool until you start having problems with it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 4614 View Post
That stuff is all cool until you start having problems with it.
Oh man, that's for sure. Winter before last was so bad with drifting snow we managed to buy a 2010 skid steer. I figured it would be pretty crude and basic mechanically but it has more computerized safety, hydraulic, and diesel engine controls than a new Cadillac. Couple days ago with a cold engine it showed extreme overheated plus the warning dinger kept going off. A New Holland skid steer mechanic on the skid steer forum baby-sat me through diagnosing it and without his help I'd have been completely lost. He had me check a hidden open connector that corrodes and it's for telematics to send data to a home office or whatever if a module is connected. Who'd of thought? Turned out it was one of two temp sending units that is shot. I retired just as heavy truck and equipment went all electronic so I'm far from being an expert.
Years ago I was near the Rock Springs truck stop when a driver said on the CB he was over on the side of the road and asked if anyone knew anything about the "fly by wire" throttles, his engine wouldn't go above an idle. On a Sunday, of course when shops are closed.
ArcticDriver likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 05-18-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM

On my wife's car both the ABS and DSG transmission has gone haywire, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It's a VW diesel and even the dealer can't fix it, luckily we still have the dieselgate buyback option. On the bright side, dealing with this crap has helped me talk her into getting a classic car because she knows I can fix them myself.

GD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM

We loved our 10 tdi. Just needed more room.
I find it hard to believe they can't find anything wrong.
Deadline for the buyback is the end of the year, isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
We loved our 10 tdi. Just needed more room.
I find it hard to believe they can't find anything wrong.
Deadline for the buyback is the end of the year, isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
All the dealer can figure out is that it's in the computers and there's two of them , one for the transmission and another for the ABS. The dealer called VW North America and they told the dealer to replace the transmission and abs unit and that's $8,000. The car has only 50,000 miles on it and its just out of warranty by a few months. The dsg transmission and just about everything on this car relies on the information from the wheel sensors being processed through the computer and when there's a problem all kinds of things start acting up. We are also getting falts on the airbags, tcs, steering, brakes, and seatbelts. And this was at the largest dealer in Tampa, they handle VW, BMW, Porche, Audi, Landrover and Subaru so you would think they could figure out a German computer issue.
And the buyback deadline is in September.

GD

Last edited by Greazydiesel; 05-25-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You would think that they should be able to find a used part for you with all the buybacks just sitting on a lot.

Nearly 300,000 VW diesels are sitting in lots across the U.S. | Fox News

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 AM

If you ask me it doesn't look like VW's management has been using their heads for quite some time. I would think that if you're slick enough to rig your cars to cheat on the emissions you should at least be ready with a fix in case your busted. It's obvious that VW's management has not yet recovered from the big shakeup and I doubt they really have a clue what their dealers in the states are up to.

GD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in