Trip routing help through Virginia, DC area - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trip routing help through Virginia, DC area

I am planning a trip to Annapolis Maryland. I will be travelling north on I-95. I have been told to avoid DC traffic at all costs. I will be traveling in a 40 foot diesel pusher. I was looking at the maps and see a road named Virginia 301 with runs south and to the east of DC. It then becomes 301/50 and goes right into Annapolis well east of DC. Has anyone traveled this road and is it suitable for my vehicle. Is is four lane, no low over passes ect. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 PM

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
I am planning a trip to Annapolis Maryland. I will be travelling north on I-95. I have been told to avoid DC traffic at all costs. I will be traveling in a 40 foot diesel pusher. I was looking at the maps and see a road named Virginia 301 with runs south and to the east of DC. It then becomes 301/50 and goes right into Annapolis well east of DC. Has anyone traveled this road and is it suitable for my vehicle. Is is four lane, no low over passes ect. Any help would be appreciated.
301 is a US hwy and not a state one and should be fine, but I've never driven it between Fort AP Hill and Annapolis. If you can plan to hit Fredricksburg at around 10am while it can be heavy I-95 to the beltway and up to 50 is not that bad. Just avoid I-95 between Fredricksburg north and the beltway anytime other than 10am to 2pm. I've only driven the beltway around to 50 to Annapolis one time and while I didn't spend a lot of time driving around the USNA area some of the streets there a fairly narrow since it's bascially surrounded by a lot of residential type properties.

We had to drive to NNMC at Bethesda this AM and left the house at 0710 and it took us an hour to go the 12 or 15 miles to the beltway on I-66 and then only about 20min to go the 15 miles or so around to Wisconsin Blvd to Bethesda. We left Bethesda at 10AM and it only took us about 40min to get home.

Also, I-95 and the beltway on the weekends can get busy since a lot of north bound truck traffic hits the DC area on the weekends. Biggest problem is I-95 when a tractor trailer gets tangled up with a car and they shut things down during or just before rush hour.

You can go HERE and look at the traffic cams along I-95 north of Dumfries and the beltway at the times you plan on being on those roads and make up your own mind if you want to do it that way. I would also if you have wireless internet is to have someone check that site a couple of hours before you get to Fredricksburg to see how things are. While in the DC area before 9AM WMAL 630AM has traffic reports and all the time periodically WTOP 103.5FM has traffic reports and I would be listening to them when doing the DC/Beltway dance.

Larry

2001 PSD with lots of gauges and a few other mods.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:18 PM

My Photos: (55)
Quote:
I'm planning a trip there too, June 4th and 5th to be exact. I just made reservations at the Annapolis Best Western.
Maybe we can meet up?

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 PM

My Photos: (5)
I guess I should add that we've lived just outside of D.C. since 1984 basically at the intersection of I-66 and Rt. 28 which is basically 10 mi south of Dulles and I worked in Crystal City before retiring from 1984 to 1990 and we have made many, many trips to NNMC at Bethesda along with trips to Baltimore, Andrews AFB etc. over the years and just try and follow the 10AM to 2PM rule for beltway driving when possible, but for Med Appts at NNMC that is not always possible. We also try and stay away from the beltway on Fri in the PM since depending on what is happening in DC the rush hours traffic can start as early as noon and can even be bad Thur PM if people are making it a long weekend. We also have traveled I-95 mainly between Va 234 or 123 and south and when getting out of Dodge our favorite route is US29 west to US17 and south to where it hits I-95 in Fredricksburg. Also, when our oldest was at TPS at Patuxent NAS we went down the state roads from the beltway and the area is mainly rural farm type country, flat and good roads.

Make sure you fill up at the FJ at Carmel Church at exit 104 on I-95 coming or going or bring a couple of extra children to buy diesel in the greater Washington D.C. metro area. The fuel cost alone might make it smart to go all the way up to the junction of I-95 and US17 so you can top off on fuel at Carmel Church and then take US17 back down to US 301 and then north. The traffic south of Fredricskburg on I-95 is not that bad at almost anytime since few commuters live south of Fredricksburg. Them long distance commuters come from WVa.

Larry

2001 PSD with lots of gauges and a few other mods.

Last edited by LarryM; 05-20-2008 at 06:39 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

My Photos: (0)
Avoid the Beltway

Quote:
I am planning a trip to Annapolis Maryland. I will be traveling north on I-95. I have been told to avoid DC traffic at all costs. I will be traveling in a 40 foot diesel pusher. I was looking at the maps and see a road named Virginia 301 with runs south and to the east of DC. It then becomes 301/50 and goes right into Annapolis well east of DC. Has anyone traveled this road and is it suitable for my vehicle. Is is four lane, no low over passes ect. Any help would be appreciated.
Like the plague, particularly at 4-7 PM or in the Early AM.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM

My Photos: (7)
No problems on 301 or when you first get into Md...but you will find a lot of stop lights from La Plata until you hit 50 towards annapolis...
Toll bridge from Va into Md is free going north...

If you can time it right I would just go 95-495 over to 50 east trying to catch it off peak, (traffic) hrs...

it's your call 301 is shorter but the stop lights are killers too..
.my son used to live in Leonardtown, Md and I would stop by and visit on trips to NYC...went 301 to 50 only 1 time...other trips I would take back roads over to rts 2/4 into annapolis...

fwiw

2002 E-350 ext. wb cargo.
.4" DP+exhaust..all gauges
TT mirrors w-c betters
DP turned ...BTS trans
regulated return system w/fuel bowl delete
racor pre-pump filter
Bilsteins shocks with timbren overloads on rear
bull bar with Hella FF1000 lights
alum baja wheels/cryo rotors.
.T-intake...dynod 335 hp...424K miles

04 VW TDI/PD JSW..RC2, FO6 cam,17 turbo
TT, Koni's,Euro HID's,tint,
cat 2 mic f/filter,CCV/muffler/fuel filler mods,skidplate..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, actually I am going to be camping at the KOA in Millersville, northwest of Annapolis, but well within the 22 mile radius that my son can not violate. We are flying up for I-day, but this trip is planned 8/8-8/11 to go up for the end of plebe summer.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 PM

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
.... but well within the 22 mile radius that my son can not violate....
Is that a term of his parole ???

2006 F-250 XLT FX4 CC 6.DOH
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbo View Post
Is that a term of his parole ???
Uh, terms of his service.......22 miles from the yard no more.......go figure, I would like to know how they came up with 22 miles, I am sure there is some "reason"..................
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1
TUT,the 22 mile rule you mentioned was kind of Intriguing to me,so I Googled it & came up with this,you may have already seen this so disregard if you have. http://www.usna-njpc.org/Scuttlebutt..._-_parents.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 XLT wedgewood blue 4x4 C/C SWB,6.0L PSD, Auto.(Member of 05 STC Failure Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 2006 Expedition Eddie Bauer,5.4L (Wife's) NRA Life Member. TSRA Life member.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:18 PM

My Photos: (0)
Ok here ya go i travel this route every week because my girlfriend lives in millersville, and i live in vienna VA. 301 like everyone has said is stop lights galore, if you dont mind that then take 301. other wise just hit 95/495 at about 11Am-3Pm and you will be fine. taking 50 to millersville is iffy because you have to get on route 3 which is traffic lights and moron drivers everywhere, If your willing to go out of your way about 15 minutes but avoid all those traffic lights i would suggest getting back on 95 and taking the route 32 exit, this exit will bring you straight to rt 97 which will bring you to vetrens highway and lead you straight to KOA. Thisway you avoid stoplights and most of the traffic in that area. if you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected] .

By the way KOA in millersville is a nice place me and my friends go camping there all the time. Also if your in annoplis go to buddies reastraunt its the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in