VHF vs CB - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VHF vs CB

I need a bit of education here...

I was browsing around for a CB (for off road/logging road) when a found that apparently people don't really use CB anymore but use VHF. What is the difference between the 2 ????

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 PM

Is that another more modern name for HAM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:08 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Licensing.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Is that another more modern name for HAM?
Do you mean they are the same but VHF is the newer version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Licensing.
CB don't need a license and VHF need one ?

Are both use the same channel? can a CB communicate with VHF? is equipment are the same but different unit?

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:21 AM

My Photos: (27)
Don't know anything about the VHF, but you don't need a license for a CB. And when I hauled logs IIRC log trucks used 6, not the usual highway channel. Of course that may depend on what part of the country you're in too.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:53 AM

If you're in the USA...CB frequencies are about 29 MHz. VHF is a frequency range and is usually considered to be 50MHz up to about 300MHz. Above that is UHF. CB is usually AM and most VHF and UHF is FM. Except for the FRS (Family Radio Service) band, which is VHF, you need a license from the FCC. CB requires no license. There are other technical differences as well.

Amateur radio operators (hams) are licensed and have frequencies in both VHF and UHF. Public service (police, fire, etc) and military also use VHF and UHF and will get VERY irritated of you try to use their frequencies.

If you're in Canada, it's similar. I don't know details about Canadian licensing requirements but I think you'll need a license for anything other than CB.

Don't try to operate without a license if you're supposed to have one. In the US, the FCC will really **** on you. I image the same is true in Canada.

Stick to CB and you'll probably be OK.
79jasper likes this.

2008 Ford F250 6.4l PSD Lariat Super Cab, Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
If you're in the USA...CB frequencies are about 29 MHz. VHF is a frequency range and is usually considered to be 50MHz up to about 300MHz. Above that is UHF. CB is usually AM and most VHF and UHF is FM. Except for the FRS (Family Radio Service) band, which is VHF, you need a license from the FCC. CB requires no license. There are other technical differences as well.

Amateur radio operators (hams) are licensed and have frequencies in both VHF and UHF. Public service (police, fire, etc) and military also use VHF and UHF and will get VERY irritated of you try to use their frequencies.

If you're in Canada, it's similar. I don't know details about Canadian licensing requirements but I think you'll need a license for anything other than CB.

Don't try to operate without a license if you're supposed to have one. In the US, the FCC will really **** on you. I image the same is true in Canada.

Stick to CB and you'll probably be OK.
this is good info thanks.

I'm not to concern about the license because I'm in the military and the new job require the use of the VHF so I will attend the course in a couple week.

just to confirm in my own language, CB and VHF can't communicate to each other. VHF will have more range because of the MHz? and VHF need the license.

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
this is good info thanks.

I'm not to concern about the license because I'm in the military and the new job require the use of the VHF so I will attend the course in a couple week.

just to confirm in my own language, CB and VHF can't communicate to each other. VHF will have more range because of the MHz? and VHF need the license.
YES, THAT'S IT.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 11:43 AM

My Photos: (180)
VHF sets are usually marine radios and can operate up to 25 watts. So they have more range than CB sets which are limited to 5W (legally). They can't talk to each other.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 12:27 PM

That's not necessarily true. VHF is typically line of sight and power doesn't necessarily make much difference. Sometimes you can talk around the world on the CB band with only 5 watts. And sometimes you can't get more than a mile or so on 50 watts on VHF. And VHF is a very general term, it covers a huge frequency range, a few hundred megahertz...CB is a specific band about a megahertz wide (and I misspoke, it's 27 MHz, not 29). There are many services that use VHF...hams, marine, aviation, public service, military, FRS, etc...all with different frequency allocations...so just saying 'VHF' is not very specific. But you'll need a license for almost any of it (or be covered by a license of your employer).

To communicate, both radios have to be using the same frequency so, no, CB and 'VHF' can't talk to each other, they use vastly different frequencies (not to mention that CB is AM and almost all 'VHF' is FM).

What exactly are you wanting to do and who do you want to talk to? AFAIK, truckers still use CB.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
What exactly are you wanting to do and who do you want to talk to? AFAIK, truckers still use CB.

Mostly it is when hunting. If we enter active logging road, i need to know if a logging truck is coming down so i can get the hell out of his way. Also for fishing and camping as i go to remote location and good for emergency.

I was planning on a CB but for any reason, one guy i know said to get a VHF cause CB don't reach to far

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:41 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
CB:KQU7866, issued by FCC on July 4, 1976.
I believe OTR trucks still use Ch 17. And if my mind isn't shot emergency channel is 9.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
Mostly it is when hunting. If we enter active logging road, i need to know if a logging truck is coming down so i can get the hell out of his way. Also for fishing and camping as i go to remote location and good for emergency.

I was planning on a CB but for any reason, one guy i know said to get a VHF cause CB don't reach to far
You'd have to know what frequency they were on to be able to hear them...what CB channel or what VHF frequency. A scanner might work for that but you'd still have to have some idea. 'VHF' is a huge range of frequencies. If you don't know exactly what frequency the other guy is using it's like dialing a random telephone number and hoping you get who you want to talk to.

You can't count on the range on either one. Out in the mountains neither one has much range unless you're in sight of a VHF repeater and those are mostly all ham stations or other services that you'd need a license for. And you still have to know the frequencies.

I think you need to know some more specific info before you can get what you need.

If you're really out in the boonies, satellite phones are about your only reliable option for emergencies and even then they won't always work (and they're really expensive). Guys I know who travel in some really remote areas use SPOT trackers (google it). There are several versions but they require paid subscriptions.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
When entering an active logging road, you have the channel that they use on a big sign so no issue with that.

Thanks for the info I think I'll stick with a CB option

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LMJD likes this.

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM

My Photos: (27)
Right, and if not it's easy enough to find out. And after hauling logs in some of the steepest windiest mountain roads in the west I found a regular CB had PLENTY of reach. Contact was never a problem. Later for 2 summers after retirement I drove a dump truck hauling hazardous mine waste. 30 trucks up and down a single land mountain dirt road 3.1 miles long 12 trips/day, nothing but switchbacks and small turnouts with numbered signs at every blind switchback. "3 up at 14" from a lead truck meant he and 2 behind him were nearing turn 14 so downhill empty trucks near there hunted a turnout quickly. Nerve-racking as Hell, as another driver said, it was'nt the driving that was tiring, it was paying close attention to the CB all day. Still got some neat pics of that nightmare.
yan7gin likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 09-05-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in