Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussions (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/)
-   -   Why I trust everything the dealership says... (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/why-i-trust-everything-dealership-says-636961/)

RT 01-05-2018 04:46 PM

Why I trust everything the dealership says...

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/mic...ML&mid=1071480

This explains everything. Now we just all need to drive below 65 on our highways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky 01-05-2018 07:40 PM

I wish I could say this is unbelievable. But I believe this is what really happened.

How can you tell when the dealer's employees are wrong and/or outright lying? Their lips are moving.

yan7gin 01-05-2018 08:14 PM

Good info ???

I had a "DIESEL MECANIC" from for the told me that 7.3 don't have injector cup, that the injectors just sit in the head.

That was a conversation by phone.... i hang up ???

bugman 01-05-2018 08:42 PM

Sounds like a salesman.

I remember going with a friend to test drive a used 84 F350 4x4. He asked the salesman if the transfer case and 4x4 worked which the salesman said that he didn't know. I told my friend to just pull the the lever down from 2 Hi to 4 Hi, we were doing 55 at the time. The salesman almost jumped out of the truck when he did it without stopping the truck to shift it.

klhansen 01-05-2018 09:18 PM

Totally believable.
I bought a new car in '82 and when it had some issues including surging while going down the road at steady throttle, I took it in to the dealer to get it fixed. The kid told me that they wouldn't do anything about the surging because they wanted me to put some miles on it so the spark plugs would seat. I talked with the service manager about that and they fixed it by adjusting the carb float level. When I picked it up, the same kid was trying to give me the same line of crap about spark plugs, but slightly changed, saying they needed to get a glaze on them to work right. :huh:

Phil G. 01-06-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klhansen (Post 4540865)
Totally believable.
...When I picked it up, the same kid was trying to give me the same line of crap about spark plugs, but slightly changed, saying they needed to get a glaze on them to work right. :huh:

I'm thinking it was the kids eyes that needed to get the glaze off them to work right...........

Trucker87 01-07-2018 10:54 AM

I was standing close to a woman when a mechanic lifted the hood on her car, she said, Oh My, what is that big thing there?

Phil G. 01-07-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trucker87 (Post 4541721)
I was standing close to a woman when a mechanic lifted the hood on her car, she said, Oh My, what is that big thing there?

....that's what she said.... ROTFL

That one was way too easy.

LMJD 01-09-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yan7gin (Post 4540841)
Good info ???

I had a "DIESEL MECANIC" from for the told me that 7.3 don't have injector cup, that the injectors just sit in the head.
That was a conversation by phone.... i hang up ???

Maybe you shouldn't have hung up, you might have learned something. 7.3IDI's don't have injector cups.

Decades ago, first year Chevys got the Duramax or last year they had the GM diesel, my wife insisted on going by the Chevy dealer for their end of the year sale just to look. I was looking at a new (next year's) Chevy diesel and a salesman said they had a Cummins engine this year. I asked if I could see it, he raised the hood and I said that's sure not a Cummins due to what's stamped on the valve covers. He ran and got the sales manager and showed him and they both said they'd got info that it would be a Cummins, so you never know.

LMJD 01-10-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil G. (Post 4542041)
....that's what she said.... ROTFL
That one was way too easy.

Good one, Phil! Some people wouldn't get that but I use it every chance I get.:laugh2::laugh2:

maplemale 01-17-2018 11:03 PM

I have a buddy who just found himself an 02 Excursion with 120k miles on it. Knew he was losing boost (from gauges) and took it to the steelership were they replaced just one - yes, only the driver's-side up pipe. Charged him $600. Of course he also was told he had an injector problem and a single injector replaced to the tune of $1200. This was before I became his friend and friend's don't let friends go to dealerships for maintenance! :)

My first car I bought with my own money - 1997 Ford Mustang. 40k miles, still under warranty. Tranny pan started leaking within a month. They claimed I high centered it and wanted $3k to "rebuild the transmission." I was 19 and didn't know anything, but was certain I never high-centered my car. Had a buddy who tightened the pan bolts. Turns out they had serviced the transmission before I bought it. I've got so many stories like this!

I've bought from dealerships since and one of my questions is - what maintenance have you done? Oh none at all... just changed the oil: Perfect - please don't try. Of course I change the oil when I get it home! LOL

RT 03-14-2018 04:02 PM

Hey Everyone! Found the perfect car salesman!

ford_doctor 03-14-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 4540825)
...How can you tell when the dealer's employees are wrong and/or outright lying? Their lips are moving.

Now that I know how you really feel. :huh: Gotta love generalizations and stereotyping... and from a Moderator too. :thumbsup:

Mark Kovalsky 03-15-2018 08:24 PM

Yeah, I was out of line. Sorry. Not all of the dealer employees are like that, but far too many are. The one in the video above deserved it.

LMJD 03-16-2018 08:30 AM

It evidently depends. When I was pretty much a kid, I worked in a Ford shop and that dealership was as honest and fair as could be. Later when I worked in a heavy truck shop every once in a while we'd get a van and send it out to the local Ford shop when we were real busy. One time with a van, our mechanic upon inspection said it needed front brakes but the rear were like new. Our foreman sent it out for "repair brakes as required". When we got it back we were charged for a full brake job. When our foreman phoned the dealer saying we knew the rear brakes were perfect it was suddenly a "mistake in paperwork". When I bought my '91 new it had a rear axle seal leak. I had replaced the rear seal but when I mentioned to a friend the oil soaked rt. linings had to be replaced too he reminded me it came under the extended warranty. I took it to the same Ford dealership mentioned above, after I picked it up and signed the work order I saw that they screwed FoMoCo out of 2 axle seals, new lining, BOTH sides plus the phony labor. All they actually did was replace the lining, right side only.
The only reason the one seal leaked prematurely was because there was a dried drip of black paint right where the seal rides when the factory painted the axle housing.