Why I trust everything the dealership says... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why I trust everything the dealership says...

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/mic...ML&mid=1071480

This explains everything. Now we just all need to drive below 65 on our highways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 PM

My Photos: (6)
I wish I could say this is unbelievable. But I believe this is what really happened.

How can you tell when the dealer's employees are wrong and/or outright lying? Their lips are moving.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 PM

Garage
Good info ???

I had a "DIESEL MECANIC" from for the told me that 7.3 don't have injector cup, that the injectors just sit in the head.

That was a conversation by phone.... i hang up ???

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a salesman.

I remember going with a friend to test drive a used 84 F350 4x4. He asked the salesman if the transfer case and 4x4 worked which the salesman said that he didn't know. I told my friend to just pull the the lever down from 2 Hi to 4 Hi, we were doing 55 at the time. The salesman almost jumped out of the truck when he did it without stopping the truck to shift it.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 PM

My Photos: (180)
Totally believable.
I bought a new car in '82 and when it had some issues including surging while going down the road at steady throttle, I took it in to the dealer to get it fixed. The kid told me that they wouldn't do anything about the surging because they wanted me to put some miles on it so the spark plugs would seat. I talked with the service manager about that and they fixed it by adjusting the carb float level. When I picked it up, the same kid was trying to give me the same line of crap about spark plugs, but slightly changed, saying they needed to get a glaze on them to work right.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:40 AM

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Totally believable.
...When I picked it up, the same kid was trying to give me the same line of crap about spark plugs, but slightly changed, saying they needed to get a glaze on them to work right.
I'm thinking it was the kids eyes that needed to get the glaze off them to work right...........

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM

I was standing close to a woman when a mechanic lifted the hood on her car, she said, Oh My, what is that big thing there?

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 PM

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker87 View Post
I was standing close to a woman when a mechanic lifted the hood on her car, she said, Oh My, what is that big thing there?
....that's what she said.... ROTFL

That one was way too easy.
LMJD likes this.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
Good info ???

I had a "DIESEL MECANIC" from for the told me that 7.3 don't have injector cup, that the injectors just sit in the head.
That was a conversation by phone.... i hang up ???
Maybe you shouldn't have hung up, you might have learned something. 7.3IDI's don't have injector cups.

Decades ago, first year Chevys got the Duramax or last year they had the GM diesel, my wife insisted on going by the Chevy dealer for their end of the year sale just to look. I was looking at a new (next year's) Chevy diesel and a salesman said they had a Cummins engine this year. I asked if I could see it, he raised the hood and I said that's sure not a Cummins due to what's stamped on the valve covers. He ran and got the sales manager and showed him and they both said they'd got info that it would be a Cummins, so you never know.
bugman likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-10-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
....that's what she said.... ROTFL
That one was way too easy.
Good one, Phil! Some people wouldn't get that but I use it every chance I get.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM

My Photos: (3)
Talking

I have a buddy who just found himself an 02 Excursion with 120k miles on it. Knew he was losing boost (from gauges) and took it to the steelership were they replaced just one - yes, only the driver's-side up pipe. Charged him $600. Of course he also was told he had an injector problem and a single injector replaced to the tune of $1200. This was before I became his friend and friend's don't let friends go to dealerships for maintenance!

My first car I bought with my own money - 1997 Ford Mustang. 40k miles, still under warranty. Tranny pan started leaking within a month. They claimed I high centered it and wanted $3k to "rebuild the transmission." I was 19 and didn't know anything, but was certain I never high-centered my car. Had a buddy who tightened the pan bolts. Turns out they had serviced the transmission before I bought it. I've got so many stories like this!

I've bought from dealerships since and one of my questions is - what maintenance have you done? Oh none at all... just changed the oil: Perfect - please don't try. Of course I change the oil when I get it home! LOL

2002 Ford Excursion - Stage 1s, GH Tunes (Hydra 16 P), AIS intake, WW2, 4" MBRP & TurboMaster, RiffRaff Boots, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 3" lift & Bilsteins, AutoMeter gauges + Torque with blue tooth adapter and Samsung 10" display.

Last edited by maplemale; 01-17-2018 at 11:11 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
RT

Hey Everyone! Found the perfect car salesman!

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:10 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
...How can you tell when the dealer's employees are wrong and/or outright lying? Their lips are moving.
Now that I know how you really feel. Gotta love generalizations and stereotyping... and from a Moderator too.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 03-14-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 PM

My Photos: (6)
Yeah, I was out of line. Sorry. Not all of the dealer employees are like that, but far too many are. The one in the video above deserved it.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 AM

It evidently depends. When I was pretty much a kid, I worked in a Ford shop and that dealership was as honest and fair as could be. Later when I worked in a heavy truck shop every once in a while we'd get a van and send it out to the local Ford shop when we were real busy. One time with a van, our mechanic upon inspection said it needed front brakes but the rear were like new. Our foreman sent it out for "repair brakes as required". When we got it back we were charged for a full brake job. When our foreman phoned the dealer saying we knew the rear brakes were perfect it was suddenly a "mistake in paperwork". When I bought my '91 new it had a rear axle seal leak. I had replaced the rear seal but when I mentioned to a friend the oil soaked rt. linings had to be replaced too he reminded me it came under the extended warranty. I took it to the same Ford dealership mentioned above, after I picked it up and signed the work order I saw that they screwed FoMoCo out of 2 axle seals, new lining, BOTH sides plus the phony labor. All they actually did was replace the lining, right side only.
The only reason the one seal leaked prematurely was because there was a dried drip of black paint right where the seal rides when the factory painted the axle housing.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in