WOW - not on tpic, sorry if needs to get moved, but, WOW - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WOW - not on tpic, sorry if needs to get moved, but, WOW

Tonight I got an unexpected call, from my sister in law...
"Jerry, your camper is 3/4 missing!" Apparantly it burned nearly to the ground about 3 hours after I dropped it off from the last trip of the season. I did have a problem where the power wasn't workingh when hooked on battery only, but just for the last trip. I called General RV about it, and they said most likely bad battery connections. However, the battery level lights in the camper still read full, even when nothing else worked. Kinda off there. Luckily I took the 30lb propane tank that was just filled off, since my home grill was empty. Also had a lot out of it because of last trip, but it sounded like a total loss. Yikes.
Being a fireman, I was surprised at how shaken up I was. I meet w/ the fire chief Friday morning, so perhaps I'll know more then, no idea as of now what happened.
So looks like I'll be in the market for a new TT. If anyone knows of any good deals out there (Detroit burbs), please let me know. I won't know much until tomorrow or Friday, but hopefully by next spring we'll be back in the saddle. Crazy.

Jerry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM

My Photos: (20)
Wow! Sorry for your loss man.. Good thing it wasn't still hooked up to your X!! That woulda been a real heartbreak... Glad nobody was hurt. Good luck...

2001 F-250SD XLT 7.3 Auto 4X4,EXT-Cab,
Short Box,Black. Build date of 06/01
FORD AIS Severe Duty Intake with fender sleeve,
Triple A-Pod ISSPRO; Boost, Pyro, Trans gauges. Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
DP-Tuner 7 Position chip; Stock, High Idle, Tow, Exhaust Brake, Econo, Race, Smoke
SS HPOP Crossover
Dieselsite coolant filter
Fleetrite ELC Coolant
AIH Delete
ScanGauge
Train horns from Hornblasters
Line-X Liner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitfd View Post
Tonight I got an unexpected call, from my sister in law...
"Jerry, your camper is 3/4 missing!" Apparantly it burned nearly to the ground about 3 hours after I dropped it off from the last trip of the season. I did have a problem where the power wasn't workingh when hooked on battery only, but just for the last trip. I called General RV about it, and they said most likely bad battery connections. However, the battery level lights in the camper still read full, even when nothing else worked. Kinda off there. Luckily I took the 30lb propane tank that was just filled off, since my home grill was empty. Also had a lot out of it because of last trip, but it sounded like a total loss. Yikes.
Being a fireman, I was surprised at how shaken up I was. I meet w/ the fire chief Friday morning, so perhaps I'll know more then, no idea as of now what happened.
So looks like I'll be in the market for a new TT. If anyone knows of any good deals out there (Detroit burbs), please let me know. I won't know much until tomorrow or Friday, but hopefully by next spring we'll be back in the saddle. Crazy.

An acquaintance borrowed a trailer from his friend not knowing that the furnace had undergone repairs and that nobody had hooked the propane line back up to it.

Long story short, they turned the propane on and went inside the trailer and cranked up the furnace.

One of his kids was blown out of the side of the trailer and him and his wife were badly injured. They are all ok after several hospital visits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM

My Photos: (32)
That's why lock-out/tag-out procedures exist.

Don't take shortcuts.
Safety and Health Topics: Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
That's why lock-out/tag-out procedures exist.

Don't take shortcuts.
Safety and Health Topics: Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)

Yeah, well you're talking about a layman here that had no clue.

It really bothered me that the person had gone through the bother to reinstall the furnace but had not taken the extra 20 seconds to hook the line back up.

It really bothers me when people lack the little bit of imagination it takes to see the dangers they create by being lazy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, the investigation by the local fire department came up with an electrical problem. the area of origin seemed to be around the fuse box, which would support that. I don't know if the insurance company will take any more steps to investigate, but this looks like it so far. I should be talking to the insurance adjuster tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes guys...

Jerry

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 PM

fire in RV

Sorry about your loss. Last winter a friend of mine parked his 5th wheel RV next to his home and ran an extension cord to the RV to keep the heater, ect. going. Late one night the RV caught on fire and burned up and also burned up his home.
I don't know any more particulars about what caused the fire.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Sorry.. Wowzers...

Neighbor had a Class A burn in his drive.. melted the siding on neighbor's house..

Look on the bright side.. you'll have one killer utility trailer now..

Good luck with the insurance..

Y2K F-350-XLT-SC-Shortie-6sp-4X4-Silver/Gray...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in