Largest tire on factory 16x7 wheel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Largest tire on factory 16x7 wheel

OK I have heard 285/75R16 which is what I have on my Super Duty but I have seen many others who are running others some up to 35's. So what is the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 PM

My friend ran 315/75/16 Goodyear MTR's on his stock wheels on a '99. They rub the leaf springs on full turn w/this setup. Other than some rubbing, he liked them. I would go a at least a 9" wheel if it were me.

'03 F350 CCSB 27k
6spd,4x4floor
285/75/16 +2"front
RCD EGR Delete,AEM Intake
Sold:
'06 F350 CCSB 87K
6spd 4x4manual hubs
6"Fabtech w/35"s
'01 Stroke CCSB 112k 6spd
5" lift, 35" tires 4" straight
NAPA 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel
TS T6 Pyro/Boost Gauges
AIH/EBPV Delete
2005 6.0, 2001 7.3, 2-'99 7.3, '97,'95,'92IDI, 3-Cummins
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Thank you for the post grungepuppy.

Like jacksonbend mentioned, 35" tall tires can be run with minimal rubbing on the factory wheels. However, this is the classic just because you can doesn't mean you should. Tire manufacturers set approved rim width ranges for each size they build. This is to keep you safe and to ensure proper wear and heat dissipation. Size 315/75-16 (35x12.50-16) for example, has an approved rim width range of 8" to 11". Tires are designed to flex in certain areas of the shoulder, when you pinch or stretch a tire on a wheel that is too narrow or too wide, you force the tire to flex where it is not designed to do so. This makes the tire hold more heat (a tires worst enemy) which breaks the tire down faster resulting in shorter life and higher chance of failure. Also, every major brand tire is covered by the manufacturer's warranty for workmanship and manufacture defect. This warranty is void if the tire is mounted on a wheel outside the tire manufacturer’s recommendations. The largest recommended tire that will work on your 02 and is approved for your factory 16x7 wheels is size 265/75-16.

I hope this information helps

-Matt

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Vendors > Discount Tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in