2011 DRW 6" lift w/ 22.6 Acloa advice needed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 DRW 6" lift w/ 22.6 Acloa advice needed

Hello gents,
I am searching for some driveline advice. My new 2011 F350 CC LWB DRW drove like a dream when it was stock, but....I had a 6" lift and 22.5" Alcoas with Sumitomo 727s and the ride is now horrible. I dropped the carrier bearing about 3" to help with the take-off shudder but it now seems to appear at highway speeds, and still some at takeoff.

I had all 6 tires/wheels spin balanced at a commercial truck shop which helped a bit but the ride is just awful overall. I had an 08 F250 with a 1 piece drive shaft on a 6" lift and it was great, 100k miles and no problems and never any shudder or vibration
What is the trick to get this setup to be reasonable for daily highway driving, pulling boats long distances?
I know a 1 piece shaft would be too long. Is it the lift or the wheels or both causing all of this vibration?
Thanks for any advice/feedback for a new guy.

Last edited by flapjack; 08-22-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

You are going to have to figure out which part of the lift is the problem. What does it do with lift but stock tires? The taller tires may be causing windup of rear springs and may require a frame to axle link setup to stop the wind/unwind.
Did the kit come with frame brackets that lower the radius arm rear attachment point 6 inches also to restore the caster on front end?

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
You are going to have to figure out which part of the lift is the problem. What does it do with lift but stock tires? The taller tires may be causing windup of rear springs and may require a frame to axle link setup to stop the wind/unwind.
Did the kit come with frame brackets that lower the radius arm rear attachment point 6 inches also to restore the caster on front end?
The same vibrartion occcurs with the stock wheels/tires, however it is slighty better. The kit did come with radius arms and they are installed. I can't immagine it is axle wrap. I had an 08 250 with a 6" lift and 37" tires (these are 36") and there was no vibration. I did put in a solid aluminum driveshaft on that one.
My guess is the problem area is the driveshaft. Another member suggested a CV joint after the carrier bearing but that is beyond my world of knowledge and I can't find anyone in Dallas that knows about it either.
Thanks for the suggestion though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 AM

My Photos: (0)
3" drop on your carrier bearing is too much take it back to 1.5" and try it thats were mine is and works great. Ihave lifted many of these fords (job) and that seems to work .

2011 F-350 CC LB 6.7L 6" Fabtech lift 35" Toyo MT's 2008 Cougar 304BHS Travel trailer
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
3" drop on your carrier bearing is too much take it back to 1.5" and try it thats were mine is and works great. Ihave lifted many of these fords (job) and that seems to work .
Thanks, I'll give her a whirl at a 1.5" drop. If that is what the drop is with the pro comp kit than I have already tried it. That 1.5" drop is great on hwy but has a horrendous dead stop start vibe. The semi tires and wheels are heavy and 36" tall so on top of the 6" lift you have another 4-5" from stock tires that raised the truck even more, plus they are pretty heavy (unsprung weight). Heck, I'll try anything at this point.
Thanks for the suggestion
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:22 AM

My Dually drives nothing like a dream unless I happen to drive across a highway made of cotton, better than my '07 but nothing I would consider great. So I would be invious a bit of your old stock ride.

On another note, go west young man, my main Ford guy works at Texas Motors Ford in Ft. Worth. People from all over the state (san Antonio, houston, etc, etc) take their trucks their because the guy knows his stuff. If you call ask for Matt if he's available not the service managers. He is the knees of the bees.

2011 F350 CC DRW FX4 Tuxedo Black on Black
2011 Heartland Landmark Key Largo 5'r
2007 F350 CC SRW FX4 Outlaw Lariat "Johnny Cash" Edition Black on Black
2008 Mercedes GL450 Loaded (Wifes Car) Black

Last edited by RDG; 09-01-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: language issue
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on your Ft. Worth guy, I'll give him a buzz and see what he recommends. Highway made of cotton, now that right there is funny! I'll recommend to Governor Perry that TXDOT make all future highways made of cotton for the boys with the big trucks that want them to ride like a Lexus

Last edited by RDG; 09-01-2011 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM

My Photos: (4)
Flapjack. One thing some forget. when you dropped your carrier down you just changed 2 driveline angles. and the frt half of rear shaft didnt need any change.you just added vibration in one place.

I agree take it to someone who knows how suspension components work. not someone who just bolts crap up.

2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM

have you upgraded you steering stabalizer?

2014 FORD F-250 CC SB FX4 6.2L 3.73 E-locker, black on Black inside, Blue Jean, NAV, SYNC, window tint, spray in bed liner
Added-
LED projector reverse lights
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD
Goodbye my love

2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM

My Photos: (4)
I had a 16" lift on my 05, granted I did have none stock leaf springs and big blocks, however I noticed a big difference when I installed a set of traction bars.

Think about it. Your truck has 400hp. You have increased the distance between the axle and leaf springs. If have installed bigger tires causing more torsion to the axle. It sounds like what people in the offroad industry calls axle wrap, however you may not be experincing it as bad as they do. I would try installing traction bars.

Also, your last truck could have rode better because it was a srw with 37s and not a drw 36s.

F350 King Ranch FX4 6.7L CC DRW
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarshls View Post
have you upgraded you steering stabalizer?
Yes, a twin Fox shock stabilizer but I don't see how that has anything to do with a driveshaft vibration.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a good driveline/suspaension guy in the Dallas/North Dallas area? I don't think I trust 4 wheel parts and truck toys is a joke.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Yes, a twin Fox shock stabilizer but I don't see how that has anything to do with a driveshaft vibration.
you have a Vibration right? on a 2011 SD with over sized tires. the chance its the drive shaft in very small. unless some hack did the install? I have fixed 100s of "Vibrations" on SD with LARGER tires/rims by adding larger/duel steering stabilizers.

2014 FORD F-250 CC SB FX4 6.2L 3.73 E-locker, black on Black inside, Blue Jean, NAV, SYNC, window tint, spray in bed liner
Added-
LED projector reverse lights
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD
Goodbye my love

2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L

Last edited by usmarshls; 09-01-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in