Agressive looking AT tires that aren't super loud? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

4Likes
  • 1 Post By aclasshog
  • 3 Post By iqraceworks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Agressive looking AT tires that aren't super loud?

It's time for a new set of tires. I would like something that's got an aggressive look to it, but isn't loud on the highway and won't kill my fuel MPG. I've had good luck with the 10-ply Nitto Terra Grapplers in the past....is there anything else I should be looking at?

The size I'm looking at is 305/55/20. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 AM

The BFG A/T are a nice race proven tire that I don't think are too loud on my truck.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:47 AM

Why are you trying to make a fashion statement with your TRUCK TIRES? Buy good tires that last & perform comfortably. Forget about how they look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Why are you trying to make a fashion statement with your TRUCK TIRES? Buy good tires that last & perform comfortably. Forget about how they look.
Why? Because Merica'...... that's why
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
It's time for a new set of tires. I would like something that's got an aggressive look to it, but isn't loud on the highway and won't kill my fuel MPG. I've had good luck with the 10-ply Nitto Terra Grapplers in the past....is there anything else I should be looking at?

The size I'm looking at is 305/55/20. Suggestions?
An aggressive look is somewhat subjective. If you don't mind what are your driving conditions and what is the year and model of your truck?

PM coming your way.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

My Photos: (1)
Love my 325-65-20 Goodyear Dura-Tracs !

On my 02 F350 20k on them and look as good as new !
Not at all load and they perform, dry, wet, snow, etc......
$500 a piece, but I will buy again .
And I really like the built in rim protector. Nice feature !

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM

My Photos: (3)
I'll echo the Wrangler Duratracs. I've been running 275/65R20 on 6-spoke cast XD wheels for the last ~3 years / 60k km and much prefer them over the OEM tires (which looked more like they belonged on a white cube van, they were that indistinct). Excellent traction and I have noticed about a 2% increase in fuel consumption and a slight but certainly livable increase in noise. They look good and perform quite well in Canadian winters.

- Chuck
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a set of Nitto Terra Grapple G2's. I had two set of those on my last truck I had (the G1 models), and both sets got close to 50,000 miles on them before I switched them out. I'm hoping these new G2's will do the same or better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Michelin! You cant go wrong
ArcticDriver likes this.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205° t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, Hutched & Harpooned, EGT & Boost gauge. Fuel Mavericks with 285/18, 86k miles(Jan-2017) Bought brand new April 2001.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleedog View Post
The BFG A/T are a nice race proven tire that I don't think are too loud on my truck.
I agree. The BFG all terrain KO tires that I had on my last truck were amazingly quiet considering how aggressive they looked. In fact, they are probably the most aggressive looking AT tire that I’ve seen. Honestly, I couldn’t even hear them at all over the engine in that truck. My son has a set on his F-150 (a much quieter truck) and I can’t hear those tires either.
I invite everyone here to read my article, “Tires for Towable RVs and Tow Vehicles” which is published on www.thisoldcampsite.com .

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.

Last edited by wpetko; 03-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
That was my first thought also...maybe its a sign of getting old but my tires say “There goes a practical man!”

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going with a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. They look good, and on the highway you can't even hear them. The last set I had I was able to get 60,000 miles out of them....hopefully these will last that long also.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Looks sharp! Thank you for sharing, iqraceworks!

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in