Airbags Installation VIDEO - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Airbags Installation VIDEO

Here's a video of my experience installing Firestone Ride Rites and an Air Lift wireless on-board compressor.

CURRENT: 17 F350 Platinum Ultimate
FORMER: 11 SD 6.7L CC SWB White Platinum Lariat Ultimate
2" Auto Spring leveling kit (required caster correction)
315/60/20 Toyo MT's
Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal Mod
DDM Tuning HI/Low HID's (H13, 55W, Color 5,000K)
Titan 50 gallon tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excellent video...where you at? I'm bringing my truck to you for this under 10 minute install...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nthorseman View Post
Excellent video...where you at? I'm bringing my truck to you for this under 10 minute install...
lol - maybe you could do it in 10 minutes if you had a 20 guy pit crew.

Salt Lake City, come on up!

315/60/20 Toyo MT's
Titan 50 gallon tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Were you a little nervous about drilling the frame?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM

My Photos: (3)
Fun install isn't it?

I also installed the Ride Rite Wireless Air Command 2489 dual system a few months ago.
I have included T-valve on both sides to allow for manual fill and checking with the manual valve stems at the rear bumper. I am finding that handheld air pressure gauges do not match the pressure readings from the remote control unit readout. Both sides seem to be off by roughly the same amount. I have tried several hand held gauges to be sure. When the wireless meter shows 10Lbs the actual pressure is slightly more than double at 25Lbs. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated! I have contacted Firestone a couple of times through their website tech support with no response...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM

I don't have any experience with Airbags so really don't know much about it. I purchased a new toy hauler last week that will have wuite a bit more hitch weight than my last 5er. I am guessing hitch weight to be around 2500, up 1000 from my cougar. I get that they make the truck squat less, but what are the other benefits? My Road Warrior has the EZ suspension on it which is supposed to ride a lot better. Any advice would be great.
Thanks

2011 F350, CC, SB, Lariat Ultimate, Chrome Package, 4x4, FX4, White Platinum, 6.7L (SOLD)

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM

The air bags will eliminate the squat. They will also allow you to drive on oblivious to the fact that you have a blown rear spring shackle that is now trying to come up through the box...happened to me one day, kept hearing a thump, could'nt make out anything on inspection on the highway, drove fine, got home and there's a small hole in the bed that looks like it's trying to get bigger.

So it's worth the 10 minute install by EpicCowlick...I hear he uses a 20 man crew...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shield View Post
Were you a little nervous about drilling the frame?
No, drilling the frame may sound scary, but it's no big deal. Talk to an engineer about the ability to put holes in the center of the vertical portion of a horizontally loaded structural member. It would have to be about 2 inches in diameter before it mattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJones View Post
Fun install isn't it?

I also installed the Ride Rite Wireless Air Command 2489 dual system a few months ago.
I have included T-valve on both sides to allow for manual fill and checking with the manual valve stems at the rear bumper. I am finding that handheld air pressure gauges do not match the pressure readings from the remote control unit readout. Both sides seem to be off by roughly the same amount. I have tried several hand held gauges to be sure. When the wireless meter shows 10Lbs the actual pressure is slightly more than double at 25Lbs. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated! I have contacted Firestone a couple of times through their website tech support with no response...
I didn't put the T in so I have no way to verify the actual pressure in the bags. But I don't think it matters anyway. At the end of the day, I really don't care what the pressure actually is, just that it levels the load and helps stabilize the ride. So any discrepancy in hand-checked vs. digital readings is a non-issue for me. I'm using the Air Lift compressor and not the Firestone so we can't compare that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsroka80504 View Post
I don't have any experience with Airbags so really don't know much about it. I purchased a new toy hauler last week that will have wuite a bit more hitch weight than my last 5er. I am guessing hitch weight to be around 2500, up 1000 from my cougar. I get that they make the truck squat less, but what are the other benefits? My Road Warrior has the EZ suspension on it which is supposed to ride a lot better. Any advice would be great.
Thanks
I mentioned my thoughts on another forum so forgive me if I am duplicating. There were two things that I expected from the airbag system: level the load, and increase the load capacity of the rear end. I clearly accomplished both of those objectives. What I didn't expect was the added benefit of smoothing out the ride A LOT. My trailer was pushing (bucking/jerking) the truck quite a bit before the bags and that has all but disappeared with the air bags. I was actually looking at some type of shock absorbing system on the hitch but it's no longer necessary. The air bags have really smoothed out the bucking. My Next Level toy hauler has a similar advanced suspension on the three axles as well. It has four shock absorbers on two of the axles.

Be aware that I only have about 80 miles on the airbag setup so my opinion is only from a newbie's perspective. Take that for what it's worth.

315/60/20 Toyo MT's
Titan 50 gallon tank

Last edited by EpicCowlick; 01-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post

I didn't put the T in so I have no way to verify the actual pressure in the bags. But I don't think it matters anyway. At the end of the day, I really don't care what the pressure actually is, just that it levels the load and helps stabilize the ride. So any discrepancy in hand-checked vs. digital readings is a non-issue for me. I'm using the Air Lift compressor and not the Firestone so we can't compare that way.

I would agree that knowing the pressure isnít critical especially for raising or stabilizing the load. Itís when empty that Iíd like to be able to set it 5 Lbs. and forget it. Unfortunately when I set the remote to 5 (lowest remote will allow) the bags really have 15 on one side and slightly more on the other. Thus I have to manually air them down to the prescribed min so I donít get too much bouncy. Other than that minor inconvenience, I like them!

F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM

My Photos: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
Talk to an engineer about the ability to put holes in the center of the vertical portion of a horizontally loaded structural member. It would have to be about 2 inches in diameter before it mattered.
I am a structural engineer and I approve of this message.

On a serious note, the vertical portion is what we call the web of the member. The web resist the shear forces in the member which are highest near the supports of the member.

Al Bedford, P.E.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doczenith1 View Post
I am a structural engineer and I approve of this message.

On a serious note, the vertical portion is what we call the web of the member. The web resist the shear forces in the member which are highest near the supports of the member.
Nice to hear from someone with actual credibility on the matter! lol

315/60/20 Toyo MT's
Titan 50 gallon tank
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 PM

EpicCowlick,

Just watched your video on installation of Firestone 2535 air bag kit. ( Great Job, Big Help)

Did you have an issue with the brake line on the passenger side? looked at my truck and it looks to me like the brake line would be in the way for the axle strap of the lower bracket.

Thank You Sir

2015 F-350 drw, diesel, 4X4, lariet
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My install was a lot easier. All I did was swipe a plastic card through 2 slots and it magically got done without any effort on my part.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJones View Post
I would agree that knowing the pressure isnít critical especially for raising or stabilizing the load. Itís when empty that Iíd like to be able to set it 5 Lbs. and forget it. Unfortunately when I set the remote to 5 (lowest remote will allow) the bags really have 15 on one side and slightly more on the other. Thus I have to manually air them down to the prescribed min so I donít get too much bouncy. Other than that minor inconvenience, I like them!
Adjust your low pressure switch. Should explain how to do that in the manual. I had to do this on my last truck with air bags. Then you never have to worry about it again and it will be at 5lbs.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna View Post
EpicCowlick,

Just watched your video on installation of Firestone 2535 air bag kit. ( Great Job, Big Help)

Did you have an issue with the brake line on the passenger side? looked at my truck and it looks to me like the brake line would be in the way for the axle strap of the lower bracket.

Thank You Sir
Hey Cessna,

No, I didn't have any conflicts with the brake lines. You do have to work around them but everything fit in just fine. If there is a problem, I bet you could loosen the brake lines a bit and move them around as necessary.

Epic

315/60/20 Toyo MT's
Titan 50 gallon tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in