Brakes not fully releasing again.Please help me! - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoguy89 View Post
...heat was expanding the fluid and the cap was not venting the pressure.
Brake fluid alone doesn't expand enough with heat to generate any pressure inside the calipers. The fluid or the other materials on the vehicle would catch fire long before there was any noticeable pressure rise. And brake fluid reservoir caps don't vent. Brake fluid absorbs moisture (hygroscopic) if it's exposed to fresh air, which is why reservoir caps have a diaphragm to separate the fluid from the outside air, but still allow air in as the pads wear down. The only way for pressure to build up from heat is if the fluid is already contaminated with water. When the calipers get above ~220F, the water boils, and the steam creates pressure that applies the brakes, creating more heat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve83; 05-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:13 PM

If its happened to all the brakes you'd start with the master cylinder, and since its mostly the left side, pull off the left wheel line from the mastercylinder. Inspect for clogged lines and or dirt in your mastercylinder. Im pretty sure your going to need to replace the mastercylinder and re bleed those lines clean.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes all brakes but mostly left front. Just did it again Friday. No towing just 15 minutes from home. Thank you as I will try your advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:49 AM

Garage
Sawtooth, have you found out what caused the problem ?
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Well not totally sure as I sold it 18 months after I had the last work done. Never had another issue so figured it was resolved though. The last time it was in we changed the brake fluid and he disassembled both front brake sets replaced with new factory parts. Strange part is I had this same process done several times before but always within a year or so problem would return. Wish I could help you more but maybe draining and replacing the brake fluid did the trick.

I’ve moves on now and I’m now riding in my first GMC 2500 and really like. I’ve always been a Ford guy but between the crappy Ford seats and rougher ride I’m really liking the comfort of the GMC. It’s like night and day difference. I did enjoy my Ford though just got tired of being uncomfortable on long trips. Overall it was a good truck though. Didnt any real major issues with it just brakes, radiators, intercooler issues, and broke several cab bolts. Was at about 170k miles when I let her go last fall.

2008 Job 3 6.4 F250 Lariat CC 4x4 Dark Stone
ATS Color Matched Street Flares
Eaton ELocker "front" and Truetrac Limited Slip "rear"
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:30 PM

Garage
Thanks for your answering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in