Brakes...very spongy pedal... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes...very spongy pedal...

I havea 2000 F550 7.3 dually, and have been fighting brake probs for 3 yrs..I've stopped driving it now..Here is what i've done..all new rubber lines..4 new calipers and hardware..all new rotors.. what happens..if you stop easy...the pedal is at the top of travel..feels fairly normal..but if you have to stop fast,or with a load,the pedal when pushed hard goes to the floor with very little stopping power...there is no air in the system,and no ABS codes...all that is left is the master cly or the abs unit...if you push on petal with the engine off it is hard,with it on,and not moving it is very spongy....anyone have a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM

My Photos: (16)
You may have a hydrobooster issue.

But ..... have you tried other F550's with hydroboost? The hydroboost system is not like a typical vac boost. With a vacuum system, the booster has a "runout" where no more assistance is given, then it's full mechanical between you, the pedal, and the master.

That's not true with a hydroboost and the easiest way for me to describe it as that your operating a valve the applies hydraulic pressure. Towards the last motion of pedal travel it's more like a rubber ball.

How good the friction material is can effect this as if the friction is not up to stopping the vehicle, then it's easy to get into the "rubber" mode trying to gt the friction material to do something. But a bad booster can also be an issue as I mentioned early on.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 PM

My Photos: (6)
Have u checked the power steering fluid level? Do you hear the pump when u push on the brakes really hard?

03 F-350 DRW Lariat 7.3,4x4 6-Speed, 4.10Gears , 4 inch ProComp lift, BFG AT LT315/75R16, 3 in. spacer between duals.
GT38R 1.0 Housing
Banks Monster Exhaust, w/Turbo Elbow, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Kit, South Bend Stg 2 Clutch & Cyro'ed Flywheel
Full Force Stage 1 Singles & TS 6-Position
Auto Meter Boost and Pyro Gauges
8,200lbs---Cat Scale---Thats me and and 38 Gallons of Diesel

3 Road Race Fox Body Mustangs( I have a disease! :])

34 Ft Kaufman Solid Deck 2-Car Hauler

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMTRVT View Post
You may have a hydrobooster issue.

But ..... have you tried other F550's with hydroboost? The hydroboost system is not like a typical vac boost. With a vacuum system, the booster has a "runout" where no more assistance is given, then it's full mechanical between you, the pedal, and the master.

That's not true with a hydroboost and the easiest way for me to describe it as that your operating a valve the applies hydraulic pressure. Towards the last motion of pedal travel it's more like a rubber ball.

How good the friction material is can effect this as if the friction is not up to stopping the vehicle, then it's easy to get into the "rubber" mode trying to gt the friction material to do something. But a bad booster can also be an issue as I mentioned early on.
We have 2 other F series diesels with hydoboost,,,none work like this one..all the friction surfaces arwe Ford brand,,,not low on ps fluid...this truck weighs 11000 lbs.,.and will not stop..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM

My Photos: (16)
Then if the power steering works fine it sounds like a hydrobooster is bad. Best I can do without being there.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

We solved about 75% of the problem today..We replaced the PS pump with a rebuilt one,and we seem to have more stopping power,still not as good as my other super duties,but way less dangerous to drive now,,,'I will post other info as I get it
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 AM

I have seen the hydroboost unit go out before and cause all sorts of issues as FMTRVT has stated. With the scope of your issues I would take a careful look (i.e. replace) at the unit.

Current truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually, 4.10 gears. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO gauges (boost, EGT, trans, fuel pressure), PHP Hydra, full EBPV delete (pedestal & outlet), CNC Fab HP & HPX lines, Riff Raff FRX, Riff Raff IC boots, CCV mod w/catchcan, Reese Titan, AIS, ITP pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Ultra-Power bellows up-pipes, 6.7L starter.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, CCV mod, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, ITP pre-pump filter kit.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM

brakes locking up

I have 2000 f 250 new rotors pads and calipers in rear and new rotors and pads in the front. Drive the truck down the road and the brakes apply themselves locking all four wheels. I let the truck sit over night they released. Drive the truck again same problem. Called Ford and no recall. This seems to be a serious safety issue to have the brakes apply themselves. Anybody know what to fix . I also contacted National Highway Safety and let them know. If you are having this problem call the National Highway Safety @ 1 800 424 9393. If a enough people call with tis problem it could spark a recall. I feel this is a serious safety issue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Two things come to mind. Did this problem exist before the new rotors and pads? If not then I would double check the installation. How easy did everything slide together. There is a remote possibility that things are too tight. If it took considerable effort to put the calipers back on there may not be any room for expansion and when things heat up and expand, they just lock up. The other thing that comes to mind would be the master cylinder. There are small bleed holes in the master cylinder that allow fluid to return to the resevoir. If for some reason the master cylinder is out of adjustment and the piston is blocking this hole or if there is dirt or corrosion plugging the hole, when the brake fluid heats up and expands it is unable to escape to the resevoir and just applies the brakes. Drive it with a wrench in hand and when the brakes apply crack the lines at the master cylinder to see if there is fluid pressure there. If that releases the brakes then the problem is master cylinder related. If there is no pressure at the master cylinder then crack the bleeder screws and see if there is pressure there. If there is no pressure at the M/C and there is pressure at the calipers then there is a blockage somewheere in between. I have long since learned that there are no absolutes when working on vehicles but I can think of no other possibilities. Good Luck
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM

After what I just went through, replacing the master cylinder solved all of my problems. I have 223,000 miles on my truck and, after driving it with a new master cylinder, I can now reflect back and see that it spent some time going out on me.

Like yours, mine were spongy for awhile, I replaced pads and rotors and bled the heck out of it. A week later I had no stopping power. At the suggestion of FMTRVT I replaced the master cylinder. Took a few minutes to do (an hour) and my truck has never stopped better.

If you change it, get a new master and not a rebuilt one. Mine from NAPA cost $109.00.

BTW. My truck is an 2002 7.3 F350 4 wheel drive single rear wheel.

Coolwhips
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM

I will say this, bleed them good before you do anything. Check for leaks. If that is all good then replace hydro boost and master cylinder since you will have it tore down. My pedal was going to the floor and there was no pressure feedback in the pedal, it was spongy with rubber ball feel at the end of pedal throw. I replaced both mentioned above, power steering pump and flushed brake and steering fluids and I am now good to go with a night and day difference with own style pads and rotors and did not pull a wheel to repair. Goodluck

2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 7.3 4x4
KMC XD Badlands 18x9 wheels
Michelin LTX AT2 275/70/18
V/ Mod B Spring upgrade
FABTEC ADJ TracBar
Bilstein Shocks w twin mount up front
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Helwig rear sway bar
31 Row trans cooler
05-07 Grill from Sinister Diesel
Isspro Gauges and triple, A Pillar Pods
New Hydroboost, Steering Box, Power Steering Pump, Master Cylinder, Condenser, Radiator, Resivoir.
Royal Purple in Differentials.
MBRP 4" Turbo back Exhaust
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 AM

I had the same problem

I changed everything twice. Fail. It wound up being loose front wheel bearings causing the rotors to wobble and spread the callapers. 1 turn out or adjustment is all it takes. Pedal sinking is normal on 4 wheel disk systems.

99 E350
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 AM

My 1997 f250 does this. I have rear drum with rear abs. My mechanic said it is the crappy abs of my older truck. Pretty sketchy when the pedal drops on hard stop.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Change master cylinder and hydroboost, that was my issue with same characteristics. I also have 4 wheel disc brakes. Problem solved 40 k miles later still working good on 2001 7.3L excursion with 212000 miles.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 7.3 4x4
KMC XD Badlands 18x9 wheels
Michelin LTX AT2 275/70/18
V/ Mod B Spring upgrade
FABTEC ADJ TracBar
Bilstein Shocks w twin mount up front
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Helwig rear sway bar
31 Row trans cooler
05-07 Grill from Sinister Diesel
Isspro Gauges and triple, A Pillar Pods
New Hydroboost, Steering Box, Power Steering Pump, Master Cylinder, Condenser, Radiator, Resivoir.
Royal Purple in Differentials.
MBRP 4" Turbo back Exhaust

Last edited by NAVYFLYER; 03-30-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Addition
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Unhappy 2000 f-250 spongy break pedal!! help!!

I have bleed the break lines a millions of times. replaced the hydro boosted, power steering pump. still not working like they should... what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in