Converting from leaf springs to Coils. I did it! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Converting from leaf springs to Coils. I did it!

Well I just finished converting my 2000 F250 to a 2005 factory coil spring system.I just drove it for the first time tonite. I did it using all factory parts and still using my original 2000 frame. I used a 2005 front axle assembly from a wrecking yard thru EBAY and bought the rest from the dealer. Anyone else done this?
aclasshog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM

how much did u end up spending? how does it ride, give us a little details

01 F250 Lariat CCSB, BTS, ICON 4", 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe-muffler, Recon lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS, Custom LED interior

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM

My Photos: (7)
Can you post some pictures and describe how exactly you did it? Also, details on what exactly is needed / needs to be changed over would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Eriol: 2002 F350 PSD Lariat SCSB 4WD 4R100(deleted) ZF6; 460,000 km as of Sep. 2014
AFe Big Boost 24-91042 on home made intake, 4" turbo back magnaflow exhaust, Edge Evo 2, running 60% SVO in tank, Hellwig big wig sway bars, HPx.
in-tank fuel mod (hutch mod and harpoon mod).586-902 stancor GPR moved out of the valley. Baldwin 1212 pre-pump filter mod. Always bright OHC. boostvalve. TrueTrac diff in rear.
AE: southern Vancouver Island, B.C. or wherever I go.
Camper: 2012 Palamino Maverick 8801
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I as usual was trying to keep the price down as low as possible so I made a deal with a the wrecking yard for as much of the stuff as I could reasonably get. The good thing is most of it isnt typically a big seller. So I got the axle ass. all the steering pitman arm down, the track bar, the sway bar and links, the coil springs,isolators, shocks and radius arms. They threw all that in with the purchase of the axle but wanted another $80 for the calipers. That cost me $534 plus $80 plus $200 to ship. Then I bought both spring mounts both radius arm brackets and the track bar mounting bracket and the bump stops from the dealer online(Tousley Ford). That cost around $450 or so. Add another 40-50 for various grade 8 and metric 10.9 bolts. Then I found out I needed to change the steering box, got that used for $100 with shipping. Also needed to change one power steering line. The crazy thing was that I needed to drive it daily so I did it piece meal and was only down one day(thats because I found out the hard way that 16" wheels wont fit on the 05 up trucks due to the larger brakes. I have driven it for two days and its great! The first thing you notice is how responsive the steering is. It was scary at first as its like one turn is close to 1 1/2 of the older box. The ride was actually a little stiffer maybe because my doner axle/springs were from a f350 and my truck is a f250. But it rides much better and is so much quieter then the old leaf springs that clunk when turning and its much more sporty ride. Also has a tighter turning radius. I did take pictures as I was thinking about posting an article about it. The wild thing is I didnt have to weld anything, and all of the 5 major brackets had at least one hole already there so you know the bracket will end up being in the right place, no measuring needed.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 PM

My Photos: (7)
As far as I know, the track width of the leaf sprung and the coil sprung axles are different. They were kept the same front and rear. This is one of the reasons how the tighter turn radius could be accomplished. Is this visible on your truck?
Also, as far as I know, the master break cylinder got changed in 2005 to account for the bigger breaks and calipers. Did you keep the original master?

Eriol: 2002 F350 PSD Lariat SCSB 4WD 4R100(deleted) ZF6; 460,000 km as of Sep. 2014
AFe Big Boost 24-91042 on home made intake, 4" turbo back magnaflow exhaust, Edge Evo 2, running 60% SVO in tank, Hellwig big wig sway bars, HPx.
in-tank fuel mod (hutch mod and harpoon mod).586-902 stancor GPR moved out of the valley. Baldwin 1212 pre-pump filter mod. Always bright OHC. boostvalve. TrueTrac diff in rear.
AE: southern Vancouver Island, B.C. or wherever I go.
Camper: 2012 Palamino Maverick 8801
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Yes you should definitely do a write up boss. I started looking into could before i ordered my icon 4" leaf kit and thought the only way to do it was costing about 4500 bucks! If I did it this way then lifted the converted axle it would maybe be a bit more but give me better results.... Damn!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

01 F250 Lariat CCSB, BTS, ICON 4", 35" Toyo MT on 18" Fuel Hostage, DP F6 Tuner, 6637, 5" pipe-muffler, Recon lights all around, 35W Retro HIDS, Custom LED interior

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Funy I am now working out the same swap but front and rear axles off a 350 for my old 85 diesel. It has the worst brakes in Fords history. So far I am around 2500 for both axles complete but I need to still change out the ring and pinions for highway mileage. 4:56 is too much, I would never get to where I want to go. I am thinking a 3:73 limited slip 4 wheel ABS with a new Master and I will be rocking with matching straight axles again.

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Yes the axle width is different. From what I can tell, and after measuring, the rear axles are the same, but on the leaf spring trucks, the front is about 1" narrower then the rear. On the coil spring trucks, the front axle is around 1.5 wider then the rear. The end result is the front axle is about 3" wider then the old truck but since the rear was 1" wider before, its not as noticeable as you would think. This is the main reason for the increased turning radius. I will look into the master cylinders. My brakes definatley work better then before. The rear axle also has a larger caliper so your probably right about the master cylinder. I am going to do the rear next. That will be a piece of cake compared to the front! Mainly because Ford also changed the studs on the 05 ups to metric. The lug nuts look almost identical but the threads are different. I don't really want two different types of lug nuts, plus the bigger rear brakes cant hurt. No big hurry there though.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
We have been doing these swaps for 4 years...we even do them on OBS trucks..we have everything needed.

No MC change or steering box change needed.

Cary
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawssie View Post
Well I just finished converting my 2000 F250 to a 2005 factory coil spring system.I just drove it for the first time tonite. I did it using all factory parts and still using my original 2000 frame. I used a 2005 front axle assembly from a wrecking yard thru EBAY and bought the rest from the dealer. Anyone else done this?
Did you take any before and after pictures? Could you post them.

2002 F350 Lariat crewcab 7.3 SRW 4x4 with 4" lift, stainless 4" turbo back Magnaflow Exhaust, Full Force stage 1.5 hybrids, GTP38R, hydra tuner , Glowshift pilar 3 guage pod, trans/boost/egt , and over 285000 miles on it and still running strong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AutoEnginuity
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

sorry I have been busy. I will get some up later today.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

still working on the pictures!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Tag for pics

1999.5 F350 4 Door Longbed
DIY Tymar
6" Fabtech lift with bags
35" Toyo M/T
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM

bump. looking to do the same
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
We have been doing these swaps for 4 years...we even do them on OBS trucks..we have everything needed.

No MC change or steering box change needed.

Cary
can you give me more info? i'm looking to do a conversion on a 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in