Drilled and slotted rotors? - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
.... which is why I asked for things like SAE papers that can be freely published (well, with a download fee). Heck, at this point I'd be happy for magazine tests. And no disrespect to you, FMTRVT, but I don't know you from Adam, being a noob here and all. Your previous post in this thread seems well thought out, but then you make a big error like saying that a WRX hoodscoop isn't functional. How do I know you know what you're talking about (you undoubtedly do, but without hard numbers to validate, I'm wary of accepting general statements of fact). So, again, if you do know of any links to publishable hard data on the effects of slotting on brake output, particularly in wet conditions, it'd be greatly appreciated. Engineering white papers would be best, but anything would help. I did find this paper but it is more of a survey than an experimental results paper. Perhaps the references will be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM

My Photos: (16)
Good luck with those SAE papers. Info that gives a company a technical advantage is never going into an SAE paper. Honestly there are lot of science projects that are never put into papers, and companies for the last decade really have cut back not only on presenting papers but attending the events. The SAE Brake Colloquium is held in the fall and you can read through the presented papers list, past and present.

I've been answering brake questions for years starting about 15-18 years ago on a CompuServe forum. I get no money for this and when I worked for a company I never tried to "sell" their products, and if fact mostly here told people to change from it. There is a lot of misunderstandings out there and many companies use this to sell products that don't improve the situation. Just hate to see people spend money when they don't have to. I spent too much time on the computer as it is here and many other forums, so I really don't plan on pulling references for everything I type. Take me at face value or not.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out my error. I meant to say Outback and just typed in WRX since I guess I just pulled the link. One engineer that worked for me in NJ had a WRX and his mother had an older Outback. Non-working hood scoop. Brain fade about a vehicle I really don't care about.

You can always just put me on ignore.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager - Friction Products
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos Google - TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM

My Photos: (0)
You are a touchy one, aren't you?

Again, SAE papers or anything that can be freely published. If you've been doing this for 15-18 years, surely you know of some open source general references?

Even if a super secret slot design gives a competitive advantage, what kind of advantage is it if the company never tells the consumer about it? It is surprising to me that no one anywhere has ever done tests to say, "Yes, our slotted rotors outperformed the basic OEM plain rotors by XX%." Maybe no one has a marketing department...... Heck, no mechanical engineer students have undertaken this as a test for a thesis?

Last edited by Riddle; 02-26-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in