Dually parking brake or wheel bearing noise - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dually parking brake or wheel bearing noise

I keep hearing noise that sounds like a wheel bearing when I'm driving. I put the rear end on jack stands, put in drive and after speedo read 50 or 60 mph I jumped out of the truck. The driver rear wheel stopped spinning quickly. The noise was heard on the driver side rear. I pulled the hub off. The seal does not leak. The bearings seem fine. No wear on the axle. I have never replaced the shoes for the parking brake. The ring and pinion bearings were replaced about 100,000 miles ago.

I do see wear on the drum surface for the parking brake shoes. But the shoes are rusted and I did not see any wear marks on the shoes. I don't use the parking brake and I checked the release for the pedal.

Can I eliminate the parking brake parts inside the rear hub?

Should I rebuild / replace the parts and make the cable work?

What else can be causing this noise?

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 254,500 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Bearings are fine. A closer look at the parking brake shoes and I could see where it was rubbing. The cable attachment to the frame was off. and the cable was flopping around. So I secured it to the frame and loosened the star wheel for the shoes. The wheel spins more freely now. I still have some noise. Next I will check the caliper and check to see if it is floating the way it is supposed to.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 254,500 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter

Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Just a follow up ...

I ended up replacing the rear calipers. Purchased complete loaded rear calipers (Motorcraft) from Rock Auto. While I was there, I added new brake line hoses to each wheel. The front wheels only needed new pads. I installed new back plates for the front that have been sitting in the garage for over a year. Mine were rusted away. The new front brake line hoses will have to wait until spring. I also discovered the drivers tie rod end was bad. I have replaced this twice before. I had to add two washers under the nut because the hole for the cotter pin was over the nut. So I now have to replace the knuckle / spindle.

I still have the rear end noise. Hopefully that problem will wait for spring.

Last edited by panhead george; 11-21-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in