The Diesel Stop banner

Dually Valve Stem Adapters

28K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dewatkins 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first dually and I am seeking advice on valve stem extenders/adapters. What do you use? Have pictures?

Some of the products I have looked at may be tricky due to standoffs mounting under lugs which are under hub caps. I suppose they may work ok though may need to slice a bit of a notch out of the cap bottom edge. Also since the slots in the rims are not symetrical (5 hole VS 6 hole) I'm not sure how one could end up with stems nicely placed 180 degrees apart. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance. :ford:

#2 ·
Best set up Linkmanufacturing.com ( cat's eye ) I run these on everything I own. Including my dual wheeled trailer.

#3 ·
This is my first dually and I am seeking advice on valve stem extenders/adapters. What do you use? Have pictures?

Some of the products I have looked at may be tricky due to standoffs mounting under lugs which are under hub caps. I suppose they may work ok though may need to slice a bit of a notch out of the cap bottom edge. Also since the slots in the rims are not symetrical (5 hole VS 6 hole) I'm not sure how one could end up with stems nicely placed 180% apart. Hope that makes sense!
The problem you are addrssing is getting air into the inside dually? If so, I gave up on the valve extenders and adapters. I rotated the outside tire so that I have clear access to the inside valve stem. With that rotation I am able to get the pressure hose to the inside valve stem without interference of the outside valve. The rotation is not 180 degrees, but maybe 140 degrees or so.

Reactions: shupau
#4 ·
Cat's Eye looks interesting. I like the idea of a single fill point and knowing pressure is balanced between both wheels while still protecting from loss of air in both wheels simultaneously...

Also nice to check pressure visually.

Still the 180 degree requirement is a problem. If the inner valve is 180 degree from the outer it ends up behind (in-between slots)

#7 ·
Cat's Eye looks interesting. I like the idea of a single fill point and knowing pressure is balanced between both wheels while still protecting from loss of air in both wheels simultaneously...

Also nice to check pressure visually.

Still the 180 degree requirement is a problem. If the inner valve is 180 degree from the outer it ends up behind (in-between slots)
I'm guessing that the 2011 Lariat also has alloy wheels and is probably similar to mine. I do like the Cat Eye, but I can't visualize the mounting since I have a wheel cover that covers the lugs. I would have been happy with just easy access to the inner valve stem. Since it is very easy to fill the inner tire now with the rotation, I doubt that I'll rock the boat.

#5 ·
You’re not alone.... I just checked mine a few days ago and had a *** moment.. I have never owned a dually either and was 20psi low in the fronts and 10psi in all 4 rear. After standing on my head for an hour trying to get air into the inside tires, I went up to autozone and bought a longer straight shanked nozzle, about 6in long or so. Worked well!!

#6 ·
The problem you are addrssing is getting air into the inside dually? If so, I gave up on the valve extenders and adapters. I rotated the outside tire so that I have clear access to the inside valve stem. With that rotation I am able to get the pressure hose to the inside valve stem without interference of the outside valve. The rotation is not 180 degrees, but maybe 140 degrees or so.

There must be a difference in the newer duallies from the old ones. I will admit that I haven't really looked that close, but on mine there is an "indexing" pin that you have to line up with holes on the rims. Doing so makes the valve stems like 180* opposing. I have braided fill lines (From camping world) on the inside tires only. Mine are the steel rims, alloys are probably different.

#8 ·
Yes alloy wheels with large chromed/plastic wheel cover. Both valves are lined up stock. If I were to rotate the outer rim 180 degrees, the inner valve would be between 2 of the 5 outer hand holes and have to make quite a jog to see day light again.

I did try a long straight extension but without a bend it hits the edge of the hole on the outer rim. Tried adding a 45 degree fitting in addition to the extension but I think it’s going to be tight somewhere. To be honest I am going to have to remove a wheel to really test the 45. I can’t get MY hand thru the HH

If I go with the hose type of extensions I still end getting bit by the inability to balance the mess 180 degrees.

#10 ·
I solve one of the problem and that is to inflate the inner tire.I bought a air chuck which have a small bend at the end.Now I can put air in both tire even with the valve in the same place.One question the inner rim don't suppose to be aluminum like the outside one on the Lariat trim?

#14 ·
Keep the Steel inner wheels

For the most part, you will want the steel rim on the inside, (for strength/safety), especially if you intend to use that dually for it's intended purpose which is to haul heavy stuff long distances. Steel wheels are safer to use on the inside because they may bend but complete failure is rare and aluminum wheels can fail catastrophically, especially under high heat which can be caused by many things such as bearings going out or excessive braking under load etc... Just my thoughts....

#11 ·
I received and installed my Cat’s Eye system. So far so good. Easy to top off both tires at once and quickly see at a glance if they are low. This kills several birds with one stone though a bit pricey. Ran the truck up to 80+ MPH and cannot feel any balance issues. I was a bit worried about that…

Keeps both tires at the same pressure.
Easy to see if tires are underinflated.
Easy to fill up tires simultaneously.

Cheers, Andy.

#12 ·
Can you still install your center cap? I noticed it's not on anymore.

#13 ·
No, the hubcap won’t fit without some serious modifications (which I have considered). Truth is I’ve never been sure that I like the plastic caps though I still have the front ones on. I kind of like the more rugged semi-truck look without them. I may look into just getting some chrome lugs or lug covers if I can figure out which size lug covers fit (33mm?) Most sites that carry them are geared towards commercial vehicles.

#15 ·
I put on the Cat Eye system when I first got my truck and it was great when towing but when running empty I got an out of balance vibration in the rear at about 70 once I removed them it smoothed out. I have been looking for over a year and not found anything to replace them with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.