Dually Valve Stem Adapters - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dually Valve Stem Adapters

This is my first dually and I am seeking advice on valve stem extenders/adapters. What do you use? Have pictures?

Some of the products I have looked at may be tricky due to standoffs mounting under lugs which are under hub caps. I suppose they may work ok though may need to slice a bit of a notch out of the cap bottom edge. Also since the slots in the rims are not symetrical (5 hole VS 6 hole) I'm not sure how one could end up with stems nicely placed 180 degrees apart. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat

Last edited by AJones; 11-05-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM

My Photos: (1)
Best set up Linkmanufacturing.com ( cat's eye ) I run these on everything I own. Including my dual wheeled trailer.

Mongus rigs;
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJones View Post
This is my first dually and I am seeking advice on valve stem extenders/adapters. What do you use? Have pictures?

Some of the products I have looked at may be tricky due to standoffs mounting under lugs which are under hub caps. I suppose they may work ok though may need to slice a bit of a notch out of the cap bottom edge. Also since the slots in the rims are not symetrical (5 hole VS 6 hole) I'm not sure how one could end up with stems nicely placed 180% apart. Hope that makes sense!
The problem you are addrssing is getting air into the inside dually? If so, I gave up on the valve extenders and adapters. I rotated the outside tire so that I have clear access to the inside valve stem. With that rotation I am able to get the pressure hose to the inside valve stem without interference of the outside valve. The rotation is not 180 degrees, but maybe 140 degrees or so.

'08 F350 Lariat CC 6.4 DRW 4.10 4x4 manual hubs and 62 gal fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Cat's Eye looks interesting. I like the idea of a single fill point and knowing pressure is balanced between both wheels while still protecting from loss of air in both wheels simultaneously...

Also nice to check pressure visually.

Still the 180 degree requirement is a problem. If the inner valve is 180 degree from the outer it ends up behind (in-between slots)

F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Youíre not alone.... I just checked mine a few days ago and had a *** moment.. I have never owned a dually either and was 20psi low in the fronts and 10psi in all 4 rear. After standing on my head for an hour trying to get air into the inside tires, I went up to autozone and bought a longer straight shanked nozzle, about 6in long or so. Worked well!!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
The problem you are addrssing is getting air into the inside dually? If so, I gave up on the valve extenders and adapters. I rotated the outside tire so that I have clear access to the inside valve stem. With that rotation I am able to get the pressure hose to the inside valve stem without interference of the outside valve. The rotation is not 180 degrees, but maybe 140 degrees or so.

There must be a difference in the newer duallies from the old ones. I will admit that I haven't really looked that close, but on mine there is an "indexing" pin that you have to line up with holes on the rims. Doing so makes the valve stems like 180* opposing. I have braided fill lines (From camping world) on the inside tires only. Mine are the steel rims, alloys are probably different.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJones View Post
Cat's Eye looks interesting. I like the idea of a single fill point and knowing pressure is balanced between both wheels while still protecting from loss of air in both wheels simultaneously...

Also nice to check pressure visually.

Still the 180 degree requirement is a problem. If the inner valve is 180 degree from the outer it ends up behind (in-between slots)
I'm guessing that the 2011 Lariat also has alloy wheels and is probably similar to mine. I do like the Cat Eye, but I can't visualize the mounting since I have a wheel cover that covers the lugs. I would have been happy with just easy access to the inner valve stem. Since it is very easy to fill the inner tire now with the rotation, I doubt that I'll rock the boat.

'08 F350 Lariat CC 6.4 DRW 4.10 4x4 manual hubs and 62 gal fuel tank.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes alloy wheels with large chromed/plastic wheel cover. Both valves are lined up stock. If I were to rotate the outer rim 180 degrees, the inner valve would be between 2 of the 5 outer hand holes and have to make quite a jog to see day light again.

I did try a long straight extension but without a bend it hits the edge of the hole on the outer rim. Tried adding a 45 degree fitting in addition to the extension but I think it’s going to be tight somewhere. To be honest I am going to have to remove a wheel to really test the 45. I can’t get MY hand thru the HH

If I go with the hose type of extensions I still end getting bit by the inability to balance the mess 180 degrees.

F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM

The design and angle of the valve stem on the inner wheel is horrible. Ford should be ashamed of themselves. It is hell every time I want to check or fill the inner wheels.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM

I solve one of the problem and that is to inflate the inner tire.I bought a air chuck which have a small bend at the end.Now I can put air in both tire even with the valve in the same place.One question the inner rim don't suppose to be aluminum like the outside one on the Lariat trim?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I received and installed my Catís Eye system. So far so good. Easy to top off both tires at once and quickly see at a glance if they are low. This kills several birds with one stone though a bit pricey. Ran the truck up to 80+ MPH and cannot feel any balance issues. I was a bit worried about thatÖ

Keeps both tires at the same pressure.
Easy to see if tires are underinflated.
Easy to fill up tires simultaneously.

Cheers, Andy.

F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
DAP

Can you still install your center cap? I noticed it's not on anymore.

2011 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate 4 X 4 FX4 Royal Red ordered 5/21 Picked up at dealer 7/9/2010-2007 Newmar 38' Fifth Wheel

Sold:Only 48000 miles-'99 PSD Lariat SRW 4X4 Banks PowerPack-DP Tuner-Wood Dash Kit-Air suspension-PaceEdwards Roll Top-US Gear Exhaust Brake-Gear Vendors Gear splitter-Isspro Gauges-Transgo shift kit tranny -Mag Hy Tech transmission pan and Diff. cover-HX kit-PaceEdwards roll top cover-Reese 14000 lb. Fifth wheel hitch-Alcoa Rims with new Michlin tires
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

No, the hubcap wonít fit without some serious modifications (which I have considered). Truth is Iíve never been sure that I like the plastic caps though I still have the front ones on. I kind of like the more rugged semi-truck look without them. I may look into just getting some chrome lugs or lug covers if I can figure out which size lug covers fit (33mm?) Most sites that carry them are geared towards commercial vehicles.

F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
Keep the Steel inner wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1980 View Post
I solve one of the problem and that is to inflate the inner tire.I bought a air chuck which have a small bend at the end.Now I can put air in both tire even with the valve in the same place.One question the inner rim don't suppose to be aluminum like the outside one on the Lariat trim?
For the most part, you will want the steel rim on the inside, (for strength/safety), especially if you intend to use that dually for it's intended purpose which is to haul heavy stuff long distances. Steel wheels are safer to use on the inside because they may bend but complete failure is rare and aluminum wheels can fail catastrophically, especially under high heat which can be caused by many things such as bearings going out or excessive braking under load etc... Just my thoughts....
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM

I put on the Cat Eye system when I first got my truck and it was great when towing but when running empty I got an out of balance vibration in the rear at about 70 once I removed them it smoothed out. I have been looking for over a year and not found anything to replace them with.

Traded in my '11 F-250 King Ranch for a year old 2014 F-350 Dually King Ranch a year after I got a 5th wheel. There is so much difference between the F-250 and F350 Dually towing, I would not go back to a SRW after towing with a DRW. I towed all they way to Alaska and back over 12,000 miles and loved towing with it, no more white knuckles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in