Excursion bottoming out - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion bottoming out

First post and I have to say thanks as I have been a reader for years and you all have helped me make good decisions on repairs / upgrades and saved me literally 10's of thousands of dollars.

Now to my first post that I can't really find anything on.

My 01 Ex Powerstroke 4x4 seems to be bottoming out more and more. I just installed new bump stops on the front as a matter of good measure. They were gone anyway and needed replacement.

With the bump stops I still have several inches between the bump stop and axle. Shocks are about 25k old. Look ok from the outside.

Springs have a slight frown; which I understand is normal. Nothing else is visually jumping out at me as a problem.

I see road dips ahead and clench my teeth knowing what the truck is gonna do.

Any ideas or help? I'm stock with my suspension. No lift etc. No real towing except for people.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C6EDA21-551A-4AB4-ACED-06C700323131_1561326315660.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	127366  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
You might try new shocks, but they really shouldn't affect bottoming that much. Your springs may have sagged a bit over time and may need to be replaced.
Springs are the first thing mentioned in the troubleshooting for front end bottoming. Second is the bumpers that you've already replaced.
The specs call for a front ride height of 4.44 inches for your truck, measured from the top of the spring mount to the bottom of the frame (top of the bump stop).

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM

If you find there are no other problems with your suspension, Have you looked at Timbrens? They take up the full distance between frame and axle. I put them on my F350 because I’m adding the weight of a snow plow out front—- but you can read about them on below link.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/timbr.../suv/excursion

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8’ Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone have feedback or help for me? Please.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
If you find there are no other problems with your suspension, Have you looked at Timbrens? They take up the full distance between frame and axle. I put them on my F350 because I’m adding the weight of a snow plow out front—- but you can read about them on below link.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/timbr.../suv/excursion

Sorry. Missed the posts. I'll read and respond!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The more I ponder this; I wonder if I am better off fixing what "seems" like is broken. Worn leaf springs. Although I don't see them as really bad, the fact is they are probably soft and tired. 226,000 care driven miles on this boy.

Unless someone really objects to this line of thinking, would stock springs be adequate? I made it this far on stockers and despite my intentions, I really don't see me hitting another 226,000 miles on this truck. Thoughts?

Thank you again!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM
RT

The stock excursion leafs were weenie level 1 from the factory. Upgrading to X code or even V code springs was considered a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Old 06-25-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"Weenie" LOL

Well - as a matter of taking the right step and since I am not a suspension guru; what is the difference in X code and V code springs? What does the F250 SD use?

As long as I'm on the subject - just replace the springs and bearings?

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM
RT

Excursion bottoming out

Each code corresponds to a carrying capacity with correlating spring height. Here’s an article that lists some of the codes. Looks like V codes are out.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/ford-...h-f250-springs

I would check your tie rod ends at the same time and maybe even ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Old 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks live V codes are pretty much non-existent. If you are really wanting them you will pay almost 3 times the cost of X codes!

X codes are ordered and on the way. I also found this guys post which I will reference:

2000 Ford Excursion V-Code Leaf Spring Installation pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

I'll report back when I have hopefully got this tackled and the project complete.

Appreciate the quick responses and help. Wish me luck!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:30 PM

First is the spring replacement. I have U codes up front and it rides great. The factory EX spring is D code. Spring codes are listed in the divers door sticker. Mine is DS I think D up front S in the rear.

Also, Get rid of those bump stops. Those look like some Energy Suspension ones that I installed on my EX. It sounded and felt horrible. They have NO give at all. I traded them to a buddy for his stock small rectangular ones from his F350. No more bottoming out.

99.5 F250 4x4

2000 Excursion 4x4
Old 07-01-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well - the problem is FIXED! X code front springs are on and the truck rides great. I was actually a little worried that it might be too rough. I think it rides smoother and is perfect in handling bumps, dips etc. I would take it another step further to say that I believe the "weenie" stock springs were so bad, that it made the ride bouncy, inconsistent and far worse. Plus they were very tired. Highly recommend the X springs.

Ok - so the installation.... Yeah....

I have a nice set of hand tools but that does not include impact sockets and all that. I muscled the passenger side out and installed the new leaf pack. It was not a fun time. Everything went fine until the front leaf bolt. OMGOSH. Looking back - I would have paid someone to do this with the right tools. I never quit, but coming off shoulder surgery and getting ready for a second surgery this week; I just should not have attempted it. If you have impact tools, you should be fine. I didn't. Plus a bad shoulder. Plus it was hot and a bazillion degrees of muggy!

Long story short - mission success on the passenger side. Thanks to my friends at Frame and Axle Services in Butler, WI - they did the drivers side perfect.

The Ex definitely sits up like a big boy now. For sure need to level this thing out with rear springs. I'll start that process next.

BTW - truck didn't come close to touching the bump stops while I was driving it around. The problem is the springs. Everything else is a band aide.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With X Codes on the front; what should I put on the rear?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 PM
RT

If it rides ok, I would put a block in the rear, or better yet - air bags. Here's the set I have - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have greatly improved my ride with the unexpected side effect of raising my rear end about 2 inches. That wasn't my goal - just wanted to keep it level with the trailer hooked up, but my unloaded ride height increased running 5 psi in the bags. Rides so much smoother than it did before.

Do you have the overload spring? (A very thick straight spring on the bottom of the leaves?)

Old 07-02-2019, 12:42 AM

My Photos: (8)
I would do air bags. I pulled the blocks completely out of my 00 F350 DRW. It lowered the tailgate 5 inches and the truck is always level because I can adjust for load.
DENNYU

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in