Has anyone tried the Full Traction Suspension coil-over conversion for the superduty? - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM

My Photos: (21)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full Traction has been good about shipping the kits out as of late.

We can use either Kings, Sway-A-Way, or Fox coilovers in the front. We have them valved to what we've found to work the best on the Super Duty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM

My Photos: (0)
what about adjustability with the two kits...??

'01 7.3 PSD, Crewcab 4x4, 3.73's, ATS valve body, ATS torque converter locker, 7-1/2" lift, 37" pro-comps, DP Tuner (no start, stock, high idle, 80E, 120Race, 60Tow, 80Tow). 4" exhaust, BT muffler, 205K (miles) Towing a 3200lbs jet boat on the weekends. AIS air intake, PDR Turbo, bellows up pipe, New Houston engines long block (may 2008), forged rods, new alliant injectors.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 01:34 PM

My Photos: (21)
The 4-link is adjustable, same setup, height is determined by the coilover (which is also adjustable).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM

OK, Now I understand better. The Full Traction Conversion is made to run coilovers exclusively. Also, the steering radius does not improve because the axles and knuckes are the are reused but the ride is supposed to be greatly improved from a leafspring front end.

Anyone else have personal experience with this kit?

01 F350, Lariat, 7.3L Powerstroke, Crewcab, Longebed, 4WD, 8 inch fabtech lift, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, 35" Mud Grapplers on 20" XD Diesels. Thats about it so far

Edge Juice with Attitude, Wicked Wheel, Banks elbow and downpipe, Big Head Actuator, and AFE Stage II with
ProGuard 7

Looking for clean sub box design or manufacturer under rear seat of 01 crew cab!
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM

does anyone know if Farmboy is still around, or of anyone else that carries the kit at a decent price.....??? Trucktoys just bumped their price up by 500 bones.... WOW... the economy must be better than I thought.....

'01 7.3 PSD, Crewcab 4x4, 3.73's, ATS valve body, ATS torque converter locker, 7-1/2" lift, 37" pro-comps, DP Tuner (no start, stock, high idle, 80E, 120Race, 60Tow, 80Tow). 4" exhaust, BT muffler, 205K (miles) Towing a 3200lbs jet boat on the weekends. AIS air intake, PDR Turbo, bellows up pipe, New Houston engines long block (may 2008), forged rods, new alliant injectors.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM

My Photos: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachman View Post
does anyone know if Farmboy is still around, or of anyone else that carries the kit at a decent price.....??? Trucktoys just bumped their price up by 500 bones.... WOW... the economy must be better than I thought.....
Let me correct your statement, Full Traction bumped their price up. Sorry but we have no control over that.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 PM

The product's good! I've heard quite a lot of positive feedbacks about it. Plus I've seen one installed on a friend's truck. Overall it's a good suspension upgrade!

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 AM

I know I'm reviving a 3 -year old thread, but is this coilover still available and will the 99-04 work on a 96 F350?

1996 Centurion C350 7.3L Powerstroke, Banks Transcommand, 3" SS Silver Line Down Pipe, front Air Lift bags, Local Remaned trans, Racer X Triple Billet TC, custom Racer X accumulator body, Rebuilt Turbo with Banks Wheel and 1.00 Turbine, Isspro boost, Pyro and Trans gauges, 3 Gauge Piller pod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Straight piped exhaust, DIESELSITE 203* Thermostat, Replaced PCM (true TDE1), Banks Stinger Plus Chip, EBPV delete, Kelly Safari TSRs 315/75 R16s, Reverse Shackle Kit with X-codes and B-codes.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes, yes...but still not what should be done..we have been using '05 up SD axles and suspension in OBS trucks for 4 years...my '97 has '08 axles..
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bringing this one back up. I currently have 4" leaf spring lift and would like to stay at that height. I'm tired of bouncing around on this suspension and looking to change it up. Is the full traction kit the way to go? If I was to go the other route (buying the 05 and up axles etc.) I would still need to buy a lift so I am guessing I would be in the same price range. Is there any benefit to going one way or the other?

2013 F250 Platinum 4x4 CC 6.7- Carli Commuter 2.0 suspension, 18x9 BMF Novakane, 35 12.5 R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Titan 50 gallon fuel tank

Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Nitto Trail Grappler MT 35 12.5 R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer,Red-Head Steering gear, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers, Leer Camper Shell, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher,Ford AIS, International bellowed up pipes, FrX, Driven Diesel Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (Hutch Mod), HD4r100, 6.0 cooler, Stancor GPR, Dieselsite Max cold, Viper 3000 alarm, RBP RX-3 Nerf bars

Cosmetic upgrades: 2010 Tailgate, 2011 power folding/telescoping towing mirrors,

In the works: 2009 FX4 door panels with OEM switches, OEM backup camera and LCD rear view mirror, OEM Overhead console
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposes View Post
Bringing this one back up. I currently have 4" leaf spring lift and would like to stay at that height. I'm tired of bouncing around on this suspension and looking to change it up. Is the full traction kit the way to go? If I was to go the other route (buying the 05 and up axles etc.) I would still need to buy a lift so I am guessing I would be in the same price range. Is there any benefit to going one way or the other?
I imagine if you got an 05+ axle and coilover kit, it would be a bit cheaper than the full traction kit. I am not sure when the better turning radius started but you could gain that as well.

Just converting to the 05+ axle with coils is supposed to be a good improvement.

03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned/250/100 FF inj's, Irate T4 w/369SXE, Swamps HVHF IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots/ Billet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM

My Photos: (7)
'05 up axle or Full Traction System

Have been looking into these options as well.
I found the tighter turning radius will be possible in both cases because the front leaf springs are out of the way. (the center line of the leaf is directly under the upright portion of the c-channel frame probably for strength reason, while the arms can be moved under the frame because the weight is supported by the springs). This gives about 1.5 to 2 inches more room at the rear end of the tire where it hits the leaf right now. And that distance is a lot to reduce the turning radius.
So to answer the question: I'd expect that both systems improve the turning radius about the same.
What did I end up doing?
I kept looking and found that the ultimate system would be going with air springs on all four corners (Yep, rip out the leafs and put airs in).
It is relatively easy finding a suspension system for the rear, for the front I found a mix, but nothing that I like. Of course there are the under-frame kits, but who wants a 12" lift? Not me....
So I am still in the market and am designing my own system. 4 links for front and rear, air bags, fox shocks. I decided for a watts linkage in the rear (will keep the upgraded sway bars - hellwig big wig - front and rear). For the front I am currently unsure if I should go with a watts linkage and put a rack and pinion steering onto the axle or keep a track bar and steering box as it currently sits....

Eriol: 2002 F350 PSD Lariat SCSB 4WD 4R100(deleted) ZF6; 460,000 km as of Sep. 2014
AFe Big Boost 24-91042 on home made intake, 4" turbo back magnaflow exhaust, Edge Evo 2, running 60% SVO in tank, Hellwig big wig sway bars, HPx.
in-tank fuel mod (hutch mod and harpoon mod).586-902 stancor GPR moved out of the valley. Baldwin 1212 pre-pump filter mod. Always bright OHC. boostvalve. TrueTrac diff in rear.
AE: southern Vancouver Island, B.C. or wherever I go.
Camper: 2012 Palamino Maverick 8801
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Actually baged trucks ride worse...good luck.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Full traction 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosfun View Post
Hey guys, been busy. This kit is fantastic, made my old 99 ride like a new truck. Jesse Todd at Farmboy Fabrication in Florida is the man. He knows his stuff and is great to deal with. I am at 4" of lift right now and there is no problems, I told Jesse that I wanted to have 4" of lift with the option of going to 6" later and he picked the right shocks so I can do that.
It took me a good day to install the kit. Had a little trouble getting the shocks filled with nitrogen, nobody really does that here in Montana yet.
I get a lot of rubber necks when I drive my truck now.
I don't have a recent picture of my truck, I have 315 pro comp extreme terrains on now.
Hey Snosfun, I am ready to buy this 4.5" kit from FT but Overkill's comment has caused me some serious pause regarding going with the 4.5 or 6.0. I need to know how your kit handles off road and if you have experienced the "bottoming out" that Overkill mentioned in his post previously. And anyone that has the 4.5", please chime in.

I'd rather not go to with the 6" because it is a DD and the climbing up and down I'd rather not do. I currently am using replacement front springs by skyjacker. It is a leveling kit height. So it's about 2.5 maybe 3" . So adding another 1.5-2" I am not happy about but I need a truck with coils in the front. It's a either a new truck or FT. I'm done. It is actually cheaper for me to go with FT than getting in 05-07 truck considering the trade in value of my truck as it stands now, about 1K cheaper. But if I trade in mine for an 05-07, I will still want to put 35" tires on it etc, so I will be back in the market for yet another lift kit, abeit for coils. So it will be even more cheaper than 1K. So there is my dilemma.

Please anyone, give me your experience with the 4.5" kit regarding any "bottoming out" experienced. I am assuming there would need to be some offroading occuring for that to happen. I just can't imagine FT would spend the money on 4.5" that bottomed out. thanks everybody for reading this and posting replies.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Today, 09:21 AM

Looking to order a Full traction 8" for a 2003 F350 dually. Old thread I know. Got waaaay too much money in this 6 oh to ever get rid of it. Might as well do *** I want with it. Incidentally, I have now only 34k actual miles on this truck. Just got finished yanking cab and heads again and this time o-rings with felpros to 265. Decided against the aluminum heads for now. The price is still waaaay to high.

2002 F250 7.3 ext sb
2003 F350 DRW 4x4 CC LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in