Help me pick some aggressive All Terrain tires - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.

Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me pick some aggressive All Terrain tires

Guys,

I'm going nuts trying to decide on a set of new A/T tires. I'm currently looking at:
Dick Cepek Fun Country 2
Dunlop Rover M/T
Nitto Trail Grappler (My favorite tread pattern)
Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac
Pro Comp Xterrain Radial

I'm currently running a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. These are a fantastic tire for me, but I want something that looks a bit more aggressive. I tow a lot. I do a TON of highway driving(most of my driving, actually). I go play in the snow occasionally. I need something that is not too much louder than my Terra Grapplers at highway speeds. I also do not want the steering wheel to shake and it needs to have good wear. Again, my Terra Grapplers are excellent but I want something a bit more gnarly looking.

I've done research and searched the forums. I hear good and bad things on all of these tires. Can you help me choose a set of tires so I can order them this week?

Thanks!

Hello... 2008 XLT, C.C. 6.4, 4x4
Stock for now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bye bye...2003 C.C. 6.0 4x4, AFE 4" Turbo back from DPPI; 2" Leveling kit; 20x10 KMC Rockstars w/ 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 AM

My Photos: (7)
Tires

hey- check out the Interco TSL line of radials- the m/t is a good looking tire. just google interco tsl.

My daily driver is a M1151 HMMWV, desert sand in color, runs on JP8.
My personal diesel? '97 F-350 5-spd, Pyro and boost gauges, Banks intercooler, Banks turbo housing, exhaust, Banks chip. Dual remote by-pass oil filter. Now I am ready to get serious- new build will have new chip, new turbo, big injectors, big oil, big fuel, coolant filter, big lift, big tires, rear disc conversion.... getting rid of the Banks stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Harley Daidson Street Glide
U.S. Army

4XMayhem.com
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 AM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am running the Pro comps Extreme all terrains..great tire works very good in snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to RIStroker2000
I just had a set of Nitto Terra A/Ts put on.. so far very good tire.. I was going to go with the M/T or the Hankook Dynapro M/T's but realized for my application it wouldnt be too feasbale.. I didnt want the extra road noise but I kinda do wish i got them just for the 'look'

2000 7.3 Extended Cab Long Bed Lariat...

nothing crazy, it carries alot of weight, it tows alot.. has all the 'usual' upgrades plus some..

she breaths well, has extra air and fuel
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Mickey Thompson ATZ

most agressive a/t is the interco thornbird but i doubt a bias tire would be good for your towing and highway needs

2002 f250 ecsb 7.3,4r100 triple disc converter shift kit, amsoil atf, 60/10.5 DIY Tymar, (ISSPROboost, trans, Egt) PHP FU., Harpoon, hutch mods, ITP fuel pick up.
AutoEnginuity in the Lafayette-Houma area
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM

I know your running bigger than factory tires, but I just put a set of goodyear wrangler authority tires on my truck 265-75-16 E and so far I love them, a little aggresive but pretty quiet (I can hear them but barely). I got them from (I hate to admit this because I can't stand them) walmart $169 each. Here's a link if it works so you can see the tread. The link is for a load range C but I got E Walmart.com: Tires

F-350 Lariat, 4X4, SRW, 7.3, 6-SPEED, Crew Cab, SB, Edge Evolution, Muffler deleted
, Warn premium hubs, B&W Turnover Ball, Air Bags, 303,000 miles and counting (going for at least 500,000)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I should add, I need something in a 305/55R20. The tires I listed DO come in that size.

MN_Mountainman- The Interco tires that come in that size that look somewhat streetable, are not available in that size. Most of the Interco tires are total off-road tires, it seems.

Caryt- The Pro Comp Xtreme A/T is another possibility. I'd like something a little more aggressive looking. I've used the Pro Comp regular A/T tires before and was very happy with them, on my Expy. Maybe this will be a good compromise tire.

RISstroker- That is the exact situation that I'm in. I'm happy with the Nitto Terra but want something that looks beefier.

Anyone have opinions on the other tires listed?

Stock for now...

Bye bye...2003 C.C. 6.0 4x4, AFE 4" Turbo back from DPPI; 2" Leveling kit; 20x10 KMC Rockstars w/ 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM

I am running the BFG AT KO's 35x12.50x16.5 They are my second set on this truck.

I had the first set on for over 70,000 miles. I do all types of driving and towing, and also do storm recovery work for the telecom industry. I have been all over the Gulf States after hurricanes, and the midwest during ice storms, and have NEVER gotten stuck. I also do a lot of boondock camping with the toyhauler.

I like them because they last, give me a good ride on the highway (this truck IS my every day driver), and perform well when I'm in the s**t.

2003 F-350 SD, 7.3 PSD, Auto, CC, LB, SRW, FX4, 4.10:1 Genuine Gear Ring and Pinions, Detroit Truetrac Differentials F&R, FabTech Ladder Bars, SuperChips 1705, EBPV delete, IH Up-pipes, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust, Ford AIS Air Cleaner, ISSPRO Boost, Trans, and EGT Guages, Kenwood DNX6160 with Nav & XM, Ford AIC, Brite Box, 203* T-Stat and Billet Housing, Tru-Cool 4739 MAX, ProComp StageII 4" Lift on Eagle 589's with 35x12.50x16.5 BFG AT KO's, Centramatics, WeatherGuard Toolbox, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover w/Companion 5th Wheel Hitch & Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, PacBrake PRXB.

2009 Forest River XLR 3712SA ToyHauler
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 PM

The Cooper S/T and STT tires are great, check them out!

Evan
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Decided to try the Mickey Thompson ATZ on our Tahoe recently. I am extremely impressed. I've run the Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG T/A and this tire is far superior in wet/snow traction. It's much more aggressive looking as well. They look great in pictures, but was floored when they showed up how much more aggressive they look in person. I have a truck that runs MT MTZs and am very impressed with the tread wear...I expect nothing less with the ATZs.

2001 F-350SD CCLB DRW 4x4 4.10 7.3
- Magnaflow 3.5"/4" turboback
- S&B Intake
- Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
- Eagle 034 Aluminum Wheels
- 10,000# loaded trailer, Class V hitch, 2-5/16 ball
-- Reese weight distribution hitch w/ dual cam anti-sway control
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 PM

My Photos: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXTSY View Post
I tow a lot. I do a TON of highway driving(most of my driving, actually)......... and it needs to have good wear.
Thanks!
I'm no tire expert but don't these items all point in the opposite direction of an aggressive off-road tread? I've had good luck with my revo's. Somewhat aggressive tread but quiet on the highway and have given me decent tread life.

Al Bedford, P.E.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD
2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:53 PM

I've been running the BFG's in my sig for about 50k and they look like they are good for another 20k I've neglected to rotate them as much as I should have so believe it or not the rear are more worn than the front. this is my daily driver I commute 18 mi. each way 16 is highway. I have had these on at least 5 trucks and have NEVER been let down. offroad, snow, or towing the trailer in my sig.

Central, New York
2002 F350 CC,SB Dually XLT, 7.3 Auto, 4X4,172K mi
AC code injectors, DP Tuner F-5, S&B Intake,ATS Ported Housing, ZooDad, Harpooned, Walker BTM, DIY WVO system '08 mirrors,

Towing 2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
Truck & Trailer GCVW 18980 LBS 6/20/2012

2001 F-250 7.3L PSD Auto 4X4 205K mi. SOLD
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doczenith1 View Post
I'm no tire expert but don't these items all point in the opposite direction of an aggressive off-road tread? I've had good luck with my revo's. Somewhat aggressive tread but quiet on the highway and have given me decent tread life.

True, but I want my cake and I want to eat it too.

I know the BFG's are decent tires, but I want something a little more aggressive looking. If I was going to settle, I would just buy another set of the Nitto Terra Grapplers that I am currently running, since I like them so much.

Intheclouds1977- The Baja Claw ATZ's look pretty sweet. How are they at highway speeds (80mph or so)? Do you have any pictures of these on your truck?

Anyone have experience with any of the tires on my above list? I know someone has to...

Stock for now...

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 AM

my buddy had a set of the procomp xterrains on a chevy 2500hd.. they wore like iron

2002 f250 ecsb 7.3,4r100 triple disc converter shift kit, amsoil atf, 60/10.5 DIY Tymar, (ISSPROboost, trans, Egt) PHP FU., Harpoon, hutch mods, ITP fuel pick up.
AutoEnginuity in the Lafayette-Houma area
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone else comment on any of these tires? I am in desperate need of new tires, but need more input on some of these...like first-hand experiences with them?

Stock for now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in